FORUMS: list search recent posts

FCP 6 and FCPX possibilities?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Richard Walton
FCP 6 and FCPX possibilities?
on Jan 1, 2014 at 4:06:42 pm

I am presently using a MacPro (2.66 Quad-Core / 8 GB DDR3 /NVIDIA GeForce GT 120) with OS X 10.8.5 and FCP 6.0.6. I have ordered a MacBook Pro 15" Retina and am making a gradual transition to FCPX. My dilema is how best to assure I access all my older (FCP 6.0.6) projects
when and if this is necessary in the future.

I suppose I could keep the MacPro (and external media drives) "as is" to fire up and use when I need to access the FCP 6 projects and use the MacBook Pro for all newer projects. But my druthers would be to not have to maintain the MacPro. So . . . are there other options? Will an external boot drive with OS X 10.8.5 and FCP 6.0.6 work with the MacBook Pro? Other possibilities? I gather that some folks partition their boot drive and run 2 different OS for FCP / FCPX but I'd rather not do this (even if it's possible).

Thanks for your ideas and input.

Dick Walton
Natural History Services
http://www.rkwalton.com

Return to posts index

Joe Castellano
Re: FCP 6 and FCPX possibilities?
on Jan 1, 2014 at 5:12:33 pm

The App store has 7toX for Final Cut Pro, which may work to port your projects to X.

Since you are at version 6 and 10.1 changed Media hierarchy and projects, it may have required that they update the app.

You should contact Intelligent Assistance, the company that makes it.

As a Macbook user with an internal SSD running Mavericks, I would migrate away from a dual boot setup, i am completely spoiled by how fast this system boots.

Return to posts index

Doug Metz
on Jan 3, 2014 at 6:36:57 pm

[Richard Walton] "Will an external boot drive with OS X 10.8.5 and FCP 6.0.6 work with the MacBook Pro?"

No. You can't / shouldn't run versions of the OS that are older than the one that ships on your machine, and the new machine will (most likely) ship with Mavericks. Apple suggests that it may appear to work in some instances, but key functionality and stability will suffer. It is strongly discouraged.

I think you're stuck with the tower unless / until you convert your legacy projects.

Doug Metz

Anode

Return to posts index

Richard Walton
on Jan 3, 2014 at 9:59:15 pm

Many thanks!

Dick Walton
Natural History Services
http://www.rkwalton.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>