FORUMS: list search recent posts

Archive libraries

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Frank Valtellina
Archive libraries
on Dec 31, 2013 at 2:28:18 pm

Hi, I want to archive a finished project... It's in a library and I would like to archive the timeline and only the clips that I used in the project. With the latest version of FCPX could be done... how can I do now? Thanks

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
Re: Archive libraries
on Dec 31, 2013 at 4:58:57 pm

Here's how I'd do it. If there's a simpler method I'm all ears. But it's pretty darn simple.

CREATE A NEW LIBRARY
Open the library you wish to archive. Then, in FCP X go to File>New>Library. Choose an appropriate name and save it to a location with enough space to accommodate the media that is about to be copied in the next steps. It will create an event in the library.

COPY THE PROJECT TO NEW LIBRARY EVENT
Now drag the project you wish to archive from it's event to this new event. A dialog box will ask if you wish to copy proxies and optimized. These can be recreated later, so that's up to you. If you're looking to create the minimum size archive possible, leave these unchecked.

CONSOLIDATE EXTERNALLY MANAGED FILES TO THE NEW LIBRARY
Any media that you previously imported and copied to the event will be duplicated to this new project & library. Any media that was externally managed, will still be linked. So, to bring it all into a single self contained package, highlight the new library and right click and choose "consolidate library files." You'll get a pulldown asking where to consolidate them to. If you wish to make a nice self contained library choose the new library itself from the pulldown. If you wish to create an external folder (that you'll have to keep paired with the library for backup/archiving) choose "choose" to choose or create a folder. I suggest choosing the new library itself to keep everything self contained for an archive. You can watch the progress in the background tasks window. When it's done you should have a single library with a project and just the media necessary. Applicable keyword collections come across as well.

Return to posts index

Jordan Mena
on Dec 31, 2013 at 7:00:19 pm

Does this feature trim media or uses the whole file?

Jordan Mena | Editor | Colorist | Producer
Los Angeles, CA
jordanmena.com

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Dec 31, 2013 at 7:59:39 pm

Whole file. We still have so true media manager.

Return to posts index

Frank Valtellina
on Dec 31, 2013 at 8:46:38 pm

Thank you Bret, hoping Apple will give us a simple command to do it. ;-)

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Dec 31, 2013 at 9:09:25 pm

What Bret says, but a different way to go about it, and some of this redundant to what Bret says:

If your clips were already managed in to the Library, then all you have to do is choose

File > Copy Project to Library > New Library

and save a new Library.

If your media is external then choose:

Name and save the Library to a unique location (like a new folder).

You will get the pop up that asks if you want to include optimized and proxies.

This will create a new Library with a new Event with externally linked clips (if your clips were linked).

You then choose the Project in the new Library and choose:

File > Consolidate Project Files.

You can then choose to consolidate them in to the Library or to the same unique location.

Basically, you can Consolidate Project files without having to Consolidate all the clips in the Library. The same goes for Events.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

James Ewart
on Jan 1, 2014 at 8:41:38 am

Why not "move" instead of "copy" I wonder?

Return to posts index

James Ewart
on Jan 1, 2014 at 9:27:29 am
Last Edited By James Ewart on Jan 1, 2014 at 10:07:43 am

Having finished my tidy up when I look inside package contents of the Library which contained the Events I have now given their own Libraries to, I have found a large trash folder. Do you think I should empty it?

I used the "move" tool as opposed to "copy" which suggests to me that "move" copies and then deletes as opposed to actually copying.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jan 1, 2014 at 3:12:28 pm

The trash isn't cleared if you quit and relaunch fcpx?

Return to posts index

James Ewart
on Jan 1, 2014 at 3:28:44 pm

Doh!

Thanks.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jan 1, 2014 at 3:11:17 pm

You could use move as well, absolutely.

Move is more "destructive" in that it will move things out of your original library so be sure that you are moving what you want.

Return to posts index

James Ewart
on Jan 2, 2014 at 8:04:45 am
Last Edited By James Ewart on Jan 2, 2014 at 8:18:19 am

"File > Copy Project to Library > New Library
and save a new Library.
If your media is external then choose:
Name and save the Library to a unique location (like a new folder).
You will get the pop up that asks if you want to include optimized and proxies.
This will create a new Library with a new Event with externally linked clips (if your clips were linked).
You then choose the Project in the new Library and choose:
File > Consolidate Project Files.
You can then choose to consolidate them in to the Library or to the same unique location.
Basically, you can Consolidate Project files without having to Consolidate all the clips in the Library. The same goes for Events.
"

So in this new library you will only end up with clips that have been used in that particular Event or projects within it? Plus clips used in any projects that are (or were) in other Events (which is what Consolidate does?)."

Here we seem to be getting to the crux of the difference between Events and Bins.

But I wonder whether it would make more sense to consolidate before copying to a new library/

It is a little confusing (to me a least)

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jan 2, 2014 at 1:49:17 pm

[James Ewart] "So in this new library you will only end up with clips that have been used in that particular Event or projects within it?"

If you select a Project and perform the above steps, you'll have a new library with only the clips you used in the Project.

You can do the sme steps above with an Event. Select an Event, File > Copy Event to Library > New Library.

You can also Consolidate only the Project files or only the Event files, or the whole Library.

[James Ewart] "But I wonder whether it would make more sense to consolidate before copying to a new library/"

It depends.

If your media is external Consolidating only used Project or Event clips will make a copy of the footage and place it in the Library, using more disk space. If you then copy that to a new library, that is another copy of the media, so you just tripled the drive space needed for those clips (one external, one in the orig Library, one in the copied Library).

Also, Events are now more like bins than ever before. They, of course, aren't exactly the same and never will be, but there are a few similarities with this new structure.

Return to posts index

Helge Tjelta
on Jan 1, 2014 at 7:46:55 am

Hi Frank, I've made a tool for cleaning up a project before archiving. It is very useful if you have a lot of libraries, and projects (now called fcpevents).

It will give you info about how many files and GB to delete and one button to do it all.

Check it out:

http://tiny.cc/1wr47w

Helge

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Jan 1, 2014 at 4:48:14 pm

Does it get rid of unused media?

Return to posts index

Helge Tjelta
on Jan 1, 2014 at 8:36:23 pm

Nope!

That would require some work. Unused clips could go, but unused media is hard, then you need to cut the files, and i.e. r3d files are not that easy.

/helge

Helge

Return to posts index

James Ewart
on Jan 2, 2014 at 8:22:36 am

Hello Helge,

That looks like a useful tool.

It is a little surprising to me that FCPX dos not have such functionality built in.

But...hang on a minute. Isn't that what "consolidate project files does anyway"?

Not sure I quite understand the difference. Could you shed some light for me please.

Regards

James

Return to posts index

Helge Tjelta
on Jan 2, 2014 at 12:51:56 pm
Last Edited By Helge Tjelta on Jan 2, 2014 at 12:58:15 pm

Consolidate collect files outside you libraries, and get them to one location... here is from FCPX help page:

Consolidate projects, events, and libraries

In the course of creating a project, you might use media files from a variety of locations, including your local computer and external storage devices. If the media used in a project, an event, or a library is located in multiple folders or on multiple hard disks, you can consolidate all the media in one location (on one hard disk).

You can copy the media into the library file, move it from a library to an external folder, or move it between two different external folders. This process facilitates archiving and makes it easier for others to access the media (using shared storage, for example).

/Helge

Return to posts index

James Ewart
on Jan 2, 2014 at 1:05:15 pm

So when you consolidate a project it's only going to take the clips that are in the project...or just the bits of the clips you have used?

The more I look the bigger this update seems to be.

Return to posts index

Tim Jones
on Jan 2, 2014 at 3:21:42 pm

Always the full clip. Unless you render things, FCP X (and PP, and MC) always maintain the full clip. Even if you use an external manager like CatDV, you still must re-render the clip (even if you're not changing the format) since most clip formats don't allow you to simply yank out frames (ARRI and MXF being exceptions since their clips are frame-based).

Tim
--
Tim Jones
CTO - TOLIS Group, Inc.
http://www.productionbackup.com
BRU ... because it's the RESTORE that matters!

Return to posts index

James Ewart
on Jan 2, 2014 at 6:09:36 pm

Okay. Getting there.

Just wondering if you copy an Event containing just Sym Links to a new library can you ask it to copy the actual files rather than just the sym links?

or is it all dependent on how you imported the media in the first instance?

Return to posts index

Tim Jones
on Jan 2, 2014 at 6:35:20 pm
Last Edited By Tim Jones on Jan 2, 2014 at 6:36:21 pm

Just the links / references.

This is what the Consolidate Project function is for. it will copy the original media into the event so that the real clips are local to the event. That's what Bret was discussing in his initial response.

Tim
--
Tim Jones
CTO - TOLIS Group, Inc.

Return to posts index

James Ewart
on Jan 2, 2014 at 6:38:12 pm

Gotcha thanks.

Personally I will never (if I can avoid it) have a Project or and Event containing actual clips and sym link clips.

I think one way or the other is the way to go for simplicity.

I am finding all this a bit of a thing to get my ever demising brain cells around

Return to posts index

Tim Jones
on Jan 2, 2014 at 6:42:59 pm

That confusion is why our FCP X support in BRU PE 3.1 actually tracks down the real files unless you tell us not to. We've uncovered a lot of folks who had unchecked the "Copy files to event folder" option when importing media in 10.0.x.

Tim
--
Tim Jones
CTO - TOLIS Group, Inc.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jan 2, 2014 at 7:04:00 pm

[James Ewart] "Personally I will never (if I can avoid it) have a Project or and Event containing actual clips and sym link clips."

A great new feature of 10.1 is that you can Consolidate original media clips in AND out of libraries.

So even if you end up with a mixture, you can fix it.

Return to posts index

anita sancha
on Jan 7, 2014 at 7:16:05 pm

Hi.

Does anyone know yet if anyone has covered this topic yet on a training video like on either vimeo or youtube etc.. as I can't find one yet?

It seems to have got over complicated. I can't understand why there was not a very simple... "Archive your library." click! with this version? just want to see it ion action in a video. er..... just to confirm that I am not going to mess up may archive.

Thanks for all your help
Anita Sancha.

http://www.anitasancha.co.uk

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]