FORUMS: list search recent posts

Lift multiple clips from storyline?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Fabrizio D'Agnano
Lift multiple clips from storyline?
on Dec 31, 2013 at 9:53:44 am

I am working on a project. I have tried to move a few clips that were lined on the main storyline to superimpose them over an interview, but FCPX wouldn't let me. They were moved at one of the editing points and placed on the main storyline again. I tried to use "lift from storyline", but it was greyed out when multiple clips were selected. I tried to move or lift them individually, and that worked. Is this a normal behavior or a bug in my install or machine? Or do I miss another command to achieve this?

Thank you

Fabrizio D'Agnano
Rome, Italy
early 2008 MacPro, BM Intensity Pro, early 2008 iMac, 2011 MacBook Pro, FCP7, FCPX, OSX 10.8.3

Return to posts index

Don Smith
Re: Lift multiple clips from storyline?
on Dec 31, 2013 at 10:13:44 am

In the 10.1 update holding the OPTION-COMMAND-and tapping the UP ARROW will move multiple selected clips and leave a gap clip in their place. The multiple clips (if adjacent) will become a secondary storyline.

I have no way of checking at this point but I believe I was able to move multiple clips before using this method. I think the 10.1 update only added that the multiple clips are now joined as a secondary storyline.

NewsVideo.com

Return to posts index

Fabrizio D'Agnano
on Dec 31, 2013 at 10:30:39 am

Thank you Don. I've found out that a title among the selection was causing that issue. I've tried selecting only three clips in the set leaving the title casually out, and it worked, and I was also able to move them without leaving a gap or creating a secondary storyline. A cross dissolve will cause that behavior like the title. I had never noticed it before.

Fabrizio D'Agnano
Rome, Italy
early 2008 MacPro, BM Intensity Pro, early 2008 iMac, 2011 MacBook Pro, FCP7, FCPX, OSX 10.8.3

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Dec 31, 2013 at 6:03:45 pm

Not seeing that here. If I select two adjacent clips with a dissolve and press cmd+option up it moves the two clips and leaves the dissolve. If I include the dissolve it includes the dissolve. You're not also selecting something in a secondary as well are you? The title you mention is on the primary? You won't be able to move them manually if there are items connected to them. That's why lift from storyline exists. To move them out, leave a gap, and connect the previously connected items to the gap.

Return to posts index

Fabrizio D'Agnano
on Jan 1, 2014 at 5:40:12 pm
Last Edited By Fabrizio D'Agnano on Jan 1, 2014 at 5:43:39 pm

Bret, you're right. I am trying it with my MBP at home, and I can lift from storyline even with the superimposed title or the cross dissolve. There must be some bug with my old MP, that's trying to urge me to upgrade to the new one... :-) I am experiencing some other strange behavior on that machine, so I'll go for a new install.

Fabrizio D'Agnano
Rome, Italy

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Jan 1, 2014 at 5:49:57 pm

After Mavericks, I was getting all sorts of bizarre functionality problems that trashing prefs wouldn't fix. I couldn't turn off snapping or the skimmer and other odditiesI don't remember. There were a few others with strange issues and the fix, beyond a clean install, was to create a new user. Try that and see what happens. I'm going to try and go back to my pre mavericks user now that we've updated to 10.1 in hopes that the update has fixed the issue. I never have transferred over all the crap on the desktop and a few prefs so it'll be worth a shot. Once I have a break, I've got a USB stick with Mavericks installer on it ready to go for a clean install of everything. But things are really running great with Mavericks and 10.1 on the 2012 iMac.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]