FORUMS: list search recent posts

Preference Manager Warning for 10.1

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
James Ewart
Preference Manager Warning for 10.1
on Dec 31, 2013 at 9:11:45 am

Something has got very messed up since I used this. This was probably inadvisable as maybe it does not support 10.1.

My event browser would not function properly. I am trying to see if reinstalling the app from scratch will work.
Thank goodness that's fine now, I reinstalled and all running okay.

Do not use Preference Manager with 10.1!!

Return to posts index

Don Smith
Re: Preference Manager Warning for 10.1
on Dec 31, 2013 at 10:17:08 am

I launched Preference Manager just yesterday to delete preferences of FCPX 10.1. Preference Manager alerted me that there was a new version available so I updated it before deleting preferences. I had no issues with 10.1 after using Preference Manager to delete its preferences.

NewsVideo.com

Return to posts index

James Ewart
on Dec 31, 2013 at 12:33:41 pm

Okay I did the same but it led to bad problems for me.

I could not browse different events. By default would not open all Libraries.

Return to posts index

Don Smith
on Dec 31, 2013 at 2:09:56 pm

By deleting the Preferences using Preference Manager Final Cut forgets its recent list of opened Libraries. Just File > Open and browse to the Library you want. Am I missing something?

NewsVideo.com

Return to posts index

Jon Chappell
on Dec 31, 2013 at 3:09:01 pm

We're aware of this and are planning a blog post but haven't had time to post it yet.

When resetting preferences (whether manually or with Preference Manager) FCPX forgets which libraries it should load. You can specify them by going to File > Open Library > Other > Locate and browsing for it.

I would say that in my experience FCPX's library code is pretty buggy though, so you may be the victim of bugs related to that, but those issues are issues you will experience with or without Preference Manager.

My software:
Pro Maintenance Tools - Tools to keep Final Cut Studio, Final Cut Pro X, Avid Media Composer and Adobe Premiere Pro running smoothly and fix problems when they arise
Pro Media Tools - Edit QuickTime chapters and metdata, detect gamma shifts, edit markers, watch renders and more
More tools...

Return to posts index

James Ewart
on Dec 31, 2013 at 3:17:45 pm

Okay thanks.

So technically speaking an FCPX bug then?

There were bound to be one or two.

Return to posts index

James Ewart
on Dec 31, 2013 at 3:13:37 pm
Last Edited By James Ewart on Dec 31, 2013 at 3:16:38 pm

Well yes and no...usually when you "Open "Library" it presents you with a window and a list of drives and Libraries within those drive.

But with me nothing I had to locate them and then once I opened them the browser was kind of stuck. If I selected different Events or Libraries the clips on view did to reflect the Event or Library selected.

But all well after a reinstall of FCPX.

Return to posts index

Mark Dobson
on Dec 31, 2013 at 3:49:25 pm

I've had no problems using Preference Manager with 10.1

( apart from re-linking Libraries which is a right pain )

In my experience I would say that Preference Manager is actually working better now as, after Mavericks, I had a problem deleting the FinalCut.LSSharedFileList, that involved restarting the computer and then trashing that. ( probably nothing to do with Preference Manager and more to do with 10.1 and Mavericks.

Either way great support for this free piece of software from Jon Chappell. I couldn't count how many times I've used it over the last 2 years.

Return to posts index

James Ewart
on Dec 31, 2013 at 4:26:43 pm

"Either way great support for this free piece of software from Jon Chappell. I couldn't count how many times I've used it over the last 2 years."

Absolutely agree...great product...made life so much easier.

Of course I cannot say with absolute certainty that it was not something stupid I did.

Sounds like FCPX does not like having it's preferences trashed with the app or on the finder.

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Dec 31, 2013 at 5:54:51 pm

I don't know about other issues you may have had, but the list of libraries is nothing more than a list of recently opened libraries. You should expect that list to disappear after trashing your preferences. There is not central database of libraries. You can store them wherever you want. If someone gives you a library and you copy it to your drive, don't expect it to be in the list until you've opened it. I generally open libraries just like legacy. From the finder by double clicking on it.

Return to posts index

James Ewart
on Dec 31, 2013 at 6:16:12 pm
Last Edited By James Ewart on Dec 31, 2013 at 6:24:06 pm

Perhaps you are right

I am referring to this window which I was used to seeing.

Upon relaunch all that happened was it opened a new Library on the internal drive. Maybe this is normal after trashing prefs but it did not behave this way when I first installed and launched it

The main point is that for me the software became unusable after this somewhat unusual behaviour none of which occurred prior to trashing prefs. Effectively frozen.

Deleted FCPX. Reinstalled and all is well.

Now I'm no rocket scientist but...

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Dec 31, 2013 at 6:26:58 pm

That same list is available right in the menu as well. But either is a list of recently opened libraries. And if you launch FCP without a list of recents, or if you close the last open library, it will create a new library upon launch. It apparently just HAS to have a library open. Kind of annoying. But same gel true for legacy. It would have a project called untitled. Except that untitled didn't actually exist anywhere unless you saved it.

Return to posts index

James Ewart
on Dec 31, 2013 at 6:30:32 pm
Last Edited By James Ewart on Dec 31, 2013 at 7:41:06 pm

It's all better when you get down to the 'meat and potatoes' than 10.9.

... just getting my head round it.

The more I get into it the more I feel we are much closer to traditional workflows than anyone in Cupertino might care to admit.

Anyway God bless 'em all for listening.

And if anybody from there is watching I would't be here if I didn't like it, so Happy New Year one and all.

Return to posts index

Jon Chappell
on Dec 31, 2013 at 6:53:45 pm

I agree, I was a little confused by this behavior the first time, although that might be because I was used to the old way FCPX managed projects. Either way, I've reported it as a bug to Apple so hopefully they'll improve this behavior in a future update.

My software:
Pro Maintenance Tools - Tools to keep Final Cut Studio, Final Cut Pro X, Avid Media Composer and Adobe Premiere Pro running smoothly and fix problems when they arise
Pro Media Tools - Edit QuickTime chapters and metdata, detect gamma shifts, edit markers, watch renders and more
More tools...

Return to posts index

James Ewart
on Dec 31, 2013 at 7:46:28 pm
Last Edited By James Ewart on Dec 31, 2013 at 7:47:44 pm

Hi John,

I'm intrigued to know when you and the Ripple people first got a look at the 10.1 update?

And none of you breathed a word!

I sincerely hope some major facilities houses in the UK start to take it seriously now.

Why are we Brits so resistant to change?

Return to posts index

Jon Chappell
on Dec 31, 2013 at 9:43:27 pm

I don't know about Ripple but we got it the same day as everyone else :)

My software:
More tools...

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]