FORUMS: list search recent posts

Going back and forth between 10.0.x and 10.1

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Dave Gage
Going back and forth between 10.0.x and 10.1
on Dec 30, 2013 at 8:46:43 pm

This seems fairly doable with the new Library structure. The reason I may try this, at least temporarily, is that for numerous business reasons I won't be leaving 10.6.8 for awhile and have been using FCP 10.0.4 trouble-free since it came out. There is nothing in Lion, ML, Mavericks, or FCP 10.0.6 thru 10.1 that I absolutely need.

But. . .

My laptop has 2 drives in it. One drive is the Media Drive and the other is the OS drive but it has two partitions. On the OS drive I run 10.6.8 but also have Mountain Lion on a smaller partition for Xcode and testing. I'm thinking of wiping the ML partition and installing Mavericks on it and FCP 10.1 and a few other things. My media drive is of course still set up with Events and Projects.

Since the new Library structure allows you to archive or "Save" the old format of Events and Projects, I could boot into Mavericks and 10.1 when I want to do some editing using the Libraries, or at least testing. I doubt that any version of 10.0.x would "see" the Libraries. With some careful moving and hiding before I launch FCP in either OS, I should be able to bounce back and forth. I might make the Mavericks partition the editing partition and then just boot back into 10.6.8 for business. I only edit for my own business and never edit on a daily basis (in fact, I haven't had to open FCP for about a month now -- frankly, I spend more time on the Cow these days than I do editing).

Anyone try this yet or have thoughts on this?

Thanks,
Dave

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
Re: Going back and forth between 10.0.x and 10.1
on Dec 30, 2013 at 8:50:30 pm

I don't think you'd be able to use the 10.1 project file in 10.0.9. It's not even the same extension. You could try exporting an xml from 10.1, but even that has changed.

Return to posts index

Dave Gage
on Dec 30, 2013 at 8:58:17 pm

[Bret Williams] "I don't think you'd be able to use the 10.1 project file in 10.0.9. It's not even the same extension."

Wouldn't want to. I would keep new 10.1 projects separate from what I was doing in 10.0.4. Essentially, I could make a new Library of all my commonly used assets and start doing new 2014 projects in Mavericks and 10.1 until I'm ready to make the complete switch over from 10.0.4.

My only real question is about being able to use the same single media drive for both versions of FCP which I believe should work okay. I never bothered with Event Manager X, so I'm very familiar with moving and hiding Events and Projects.

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Dec 30, 2013 at 9:04:32 pm

I think you'd be fine then.

Return to posts index

Mark Spencer
on Dec 30, 2013 at 9:12:57 pm

As long as you keep your media external to the library and you aren't trying to share projects you should be ok.

--
Mark Spencer
Freelance Producer/Editor/Motion Graphics Artist
Apple-certified Master Trainer
Author, Motion 4 from Peachpit Press
http://www.applemotion.net

Return to posts index

Dave Gage
on Dec 30, 2013 at 9:29:07 pm

[Mark Spencer] "As long as you keep your media external to the library and you aren't trying to share projects you should be ok."

All right, that's what I thought.
--

Odd timing for your post. I was literally just over at your website trying to find a contact email address for you. I had a business related question for you after watching your new Pixel Corps Live show yesterday you did with Steve and Alex. If you have a minute, I can be reached at webmaster3 (at) harmonicalessons.com

Thanks,
Dave

Return to posts index

nick ring
on Dec 31, 2013 at 5:57:37 pm

Why stay on FCPX 10.0.4? I've been using 10.0.9 just fine on 10.6.8. (That's some number jumble. Wait 'til I add my IP address.) There've been some nice additions and fixes in the subsequent (pre-10.1) updates.

Return to posts index

nick ring
on Dec 31, 2013 at 6:10:41 pm

As the others noted, you should be fine. 10.1 won't update events/projects unless you tell it to and you can manage that easily enough. 10.0.x won't see the libraries because they don't fit the rigid event/project folder structure.

But, I've been thinking about something similar: how to run 10.0.9 and 10.1 on the same system. You're in the clear because you're dual-booting; I'd like to keep both on without having to dual-boot. I don't know if having both apps in one account would work because of preference file differences, but perhaps they could be setup up at the account level. Different than your issue, but something I'm interested in playing with.

Return to posts index

Dave Gage
on Dec 31, 2013 at 7:10:17 pm

[nick ring] "I don't know if having both apps in one account would work because of preference file differences,"

Yep, the dual boot will solve this problem in my case. Maybe log in as 2 different users?

Dave

Return to posts index

Dave Gage
on Dec 31, 2013 at 7:08:12 pm

[nick ring] "Why stay on FCPX 10.0.4?"

Nick, as I mentioned in the first post, there is not a single thing in 10.0.6, 10.0.9 or 10.1 or ML or Mavericks that would help me to get work done better or faster. I don't have clients and have very basic needs for my editing.

I'm here reading virtually every day, I know what's in the all the upgrades. I'm a one-man band in my business and I don't have time for learning curves or "surprises" that can come when upgrading. I suppose later this year, I will make the move up to Mavericks, but I'm so behind right now with business and projects (the real kind, not the FCPX kind) that I have to keep on chugging along.

[nick ring] "Wait 'til I add my IP address."
Funny, I had thought the same thing since 10.0.2.

Thanks,
Dave

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]