FORUMS: list search recent posts

FCPX Library has a damaged file and the finder can't copy it to another disk

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Claude Lyneis
FCPX Library has a damaged file and the finder can't copy it to another disk
on Dec 30, 2013 at 8:26:18 am

When I tried to make a copy on another disk of a FCPX10.1 library (about 800 GB) using the finder, it copied about 256 GB then quit with "The finder can't complete the operation because some data on the disk can't be read or written. (Error code-36). This code usually means a media file doesn't have the correct end of file. Is there a way to identify which file is is causing the problem? There are many clips in the library. Also a couple of the events in the project show a small warning triangle. Is there a way to find out what the warning is about?

I suspect that the problem might be a file (clip) where I was run over by a lacrosse player and the camera stopped mid stream, because of its movement, but don't know how to test for the bad file.

Suggestions?

Thanks. Claude

Return to posts index

Loren Risker
Re: FCPX Library has a damaged file and the finder can't copy it to another disk
on Dec 30, 2013 at 7:31:36 pm

If you can find that file in the finder, see if you can copy just that file to another drive - I have a feeling that's the bad one.

Also, if you can afford the time to re-render and re-transcode, delete all your transcoded, render, and analysis files to eliminate them as the source of your problem.

If neither of those work, then I'd suggest manually copying a few files at a time in the finder until you can isolate the problem file or files.

-------------
OutOfFocus.TV - Original series, music videos, mini-docs.

Return to posts index

Claude Lyneis
Re: FCPX Library has a damaged file and the finder can't copy it to another disk
on Dec 30, 2013 at 8:01:20 pm

With respect to using the finder to copy a few at a time, since there are some many I thought about using the technique to divide the files into 2, try to copy each, if one fails, divide and copy to test and the iterate the process. On the other hand, with 800 GB, that would still take a long time.

At the moment, I am using Super Duper to copy everything on the first disk to a new one. I don't think it is as rigid as the finder about damaged files. If that works, it will accomplish what I tried to do with the finder copy process. Doesn't eliminate the damaged file, but I may never need it.

Return to posts index

John Fishback
on Dec 31, 2013 at 4:19:03 pm

I agree with 1/2 at a time. You might also narrow it down to the end of the first 1/3 or start of the second 1/3. 256GB is about 1/3 of 800GB.

John

MacPro 8-core 2.8GHz, 16 GB RAM, OS 10.8.4, QT10.1, Kona 3, Dual Cinema 23, ATI Radeon HD 5870, 24" TV-Logic Monitor, ATTO ExpressSAS R380 RAID Adapter, PDE enclosure with 8-drive 6TB RAID 5
FCS 3 (FCP 7.0.3, Motion 4.0.3, Comp 3.5.3, DVDSP 4.2.2, Color 1.5.3)
FCP-X 10.0.9, Motion 5.0.7, Compressor 4.0.7

Pro Tools HD 10 w SYNC IO & 192 Digital I/O, Yamaha DM1000, Millennia Media HV-3C, Neumann U87, Schoeps Mk41 mics, Genelec DSP Monitors, Prima CDQ120 ISDN

Return to posts index

Claude Lyneis
on Dec 31, 2013 at 5:43:50 pm

Fortunately, Super Duper refused to copy the offending clip and identied which one it was. Turns out it was a 26 minute long single shot about 5 gig bytes long. Whether the file size caused the problem is unclear.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]