FORUMS: list search recent posts

install using migration assistant

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Craig Alan
install using migration assistant
on Dec 29, 2013 at 4:40:17 am

I installed a fresh copy of Mavericks on an external drive. Using the App Store app, I installed all the apps in my app store account including the new FCP X 10.1, Motion, compressor, and iMovie, Pages etc. Everything seems fine and I like both Mavericks so far and I like FCP X 10.1.
But I have not migrated the rest of my system drive yet. I have never used the migration assistant. I have always done clean installs and manually moved things over. It’s always had some tedious moments - like needing to delete things in the library to get mail to show up and preferences needing to be reset etc.
My plan would be to test it all out on the external drive and if all is well clone it to my current internal system drive.
This is in an early 2009 Mac Pro and two of the trays have a raided media drive, one has my current system drive and there is one that has 3 partitions: 1) Lion and the now older version of FCP X; 2) Lion and AVID 3) a drive with nothing but installers and some random storage but no system on it. My system drive was running FCP X by linking to the first partition on the other drive.
I would prefer to manually move MS OFFICE (2008 and I know unsupported) but I'd like to migrate apple mail and contacts and so forth.
All my documents are in one large folder and its no big deal to drag them wholesale to the new drive.
Does migration assistant have manual controls where you can control what it moves?
Does it work well?
I’ve read posts where mail doesn’t open.
Much to my surprise on the new system, I’m guessing from Icloud, some stuff already moved over but not the most current – like safari bookmarks that I think is my ipad version. Kinda disconcerting actually. I needed to enter my Apple ID so I could use my app store app but I didn’t tell it to transfer anything else.
Anyway any experienced advice would be helpful.

Mac Pro, macbook pro, Imacs (i7); Camcorders: Panasonic AG-HPX170/AG-HPX250P, Canon HV30/40, Sony Z7U, VX2000, PD170; FCP 6 certified; write professionally for a variety of media; teach video production in L.A.

Return to posts index

Jason Brown
Re: install using migration assistant
on Dec 29, 2013 at 5:45:03 pm

I've always used mig asst to move applications to new installs of OS. worked very well for me. Interested in hearing other comments on this topic.

Return to posts index

Dave Gage
on Dec 29, 2013 at 7:49:34 pm

[Craig Alan] "Does migration assistant have manual controls where you can control what it moves?"

Not much, at least not on 10.6.8 and prior versions that I've used. I wish there was a check list in the Applications as to choose what you copy and don't. I do the same with the Documents folder, just drag and copy it over.

[Craig Alan] "I would prefer to manually move MS OFFICE (2008 and I know unsupported)"

I would do the same to avoid a messy re-install. I'm actually not fully moved over to OpenOffice, but it's getting closer, and then no more MS.

Please post back as to your experiences, I may do something similar down the road.

Thanks,
Dave

Return to posts index

Craig Alan
on Jan 2, 2014 at 10:24:36 pm

Well first FCP 10.1 and Mavericks in general seem fine. Been editing a lot and the only glitch is an occasional unexpected quit concerning my decklink plug in.

I've decided to keep it clean as in no migration app.

First step was to get my mail accounts in the new Maverick drive.

here's the steps:

Mail from 10.7>Mavericks
Delete from Mavericks
1) Home >library>containers>com.apple.mail.
2) User account>library>mail folder
On 10.7
Copy : home>library>mail folder
Paste in maverick’s home>library: the mail folder from 10.7

That's it. Worked fine for my pop accounts with all my folders brought over. Needed to reenter passwords for each account.

Mac Pro, macbook pro, Imacs (i7); Camcorders: Panasonic AG-HPX170/AG-HPX250P, Canon HV30/40, Sony Z7U, VX2000, PD170; FCP 6 certified; write professionally for a variety of media; teach video production in L.A.

Return to posts index

Dave Gage
on Jan 3, 2014 at 6:51:01 pm

Craig,

Glad to hear it's working for you. At some point, like it or not, I'll be doing the same thing.

Thanks,
Dave

Return to posts index

Craig Alan
on Jan 3, 2014 at 7:39:26 pm

After that post I tried opening ms office installed on my original partition (10.7) while booted in the Mavericks drive. It seemed fine but treated the app as if I had just installed it. Mavericks doesn't like to share apparently. That meant it created a microsoft user data folder that I needed to remove from its library location before I went ahead and installed MS office 2008 from original install disc. Very important to remove all traces of ms office from the drive you are installing to. Don't need to repeat steps for that since it was a very easy google search to find the list of possible files. With a clean install there should't be any of these hidden folders unless you test from another drive first. I have disc images of most of my app installers. The ms office one worked fine. The updates that I also saved would not open. So I just used MS word's check for updates and this took some time. MS does not merge the latest update to cover the previous ones. I think it was three in all. Painless but time consuming. Seems to work fine but I've only used it seriously for one word doc so far. There are reports on line of MS messing up your font collection and moving it to a duplicate font folder. It did not do this for me. or to me I should say. Also reports that their error reporting app may cause problems. Again a google search will let you know how to uninstall this "feature". 2008 is no longer supported so you might want to go with 2011. Personally I preferred 2004 or the one before that. Though excel improved in some ways word at some point lost macros and added a ribbon. So none of my old screenplays which I formatted using macros have retained their formatting. I like writing scripts in word before importing into final draft.

I think its downhill from here but if I run into any gotchas I'll report back.

Return to posts index

Dave Gage
on Jan 3, 2014 at 9:47:43 pm

[Craig Alan] "That meant it created a microsoft user data folder that I needed to remove from its library location before I went ahead and installed MS office 2008 from original install disc."

I've had enough problems with MS Office over the years that I finally just gave up. I made the switch to OpenOffice and have not had any problems with any Excel or Word docs opening correctly (which is all I need). The last time I tried to upgrade MS Office 2008 to be current (didn't really need to upgrade, but I did), it hosed Word and to a lesser extent Excel. From that point forward, every time I closed a doc, it crashed the app. I'm happy in OpenOffice land now.

Dave

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]