FORUMS: list search recent posts

Better AJA External Playback from Viewer than Timeline 10.1

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jim Wiseman
Better AJA External Playback from Viewer than Timeline 10.1
on Dec 28, 2013 at 11:36:02 pm

I notice that I get higher quality playback from the same clip played back to an external HD monitor from the Viewer than when it is placed on the Timeline. Playback is using AJA LHi video card set properly. AJA latest 10.4.9 driver. Media is Optimized ProRes 422 (also to begin with), Better Quality set, Both Fields checked. Video is softer from the timeline on the HD monitor, and has jaggies on thin diagonal lines. Not so when played from Viewer. This is also after rendering/transcoding is complete. Anyone else notice anything like this or have a possible solution?

FCPX 10.1, OSX 10.9.1, Mac Pro 2012, 3.33 Ghz Hexacore, 24GB RAM, AJA LHi, NVIDIA GTX 285 1MB

Jim Wiseman
Sony PMW-EX1,Pana AJ-D810 DVCPro, DVX-100, Nikon D7000, Final Cut Studio 2 and 3, Media 100 Suite 2.1.3, Premiere Pro 5.5 and 6.0, AJA ioHD, AJA Kona LHi, Avid MC, Hexacore MacPro 3.33 Ghz 24Gb RAM GTX-285 120GB SSD, Macbook Pro 17" 2011 2.2 Ghz Quadcore i7 8Gb SSD, G5 Quadcore PCIe

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
Re: Better AJA External Playback from Viewer than Timeline 10.1
on Dec 29, 2013 at 1:53:52 am

what is the format and frame rate?

Return to posts index

Jim Wiseman
on Dec 29, 2013 at 4:16:54 am
Last Edited By Jim Wiseman on Dec 29, 2013 at 4:27:17 am

ProRes 422, 23.98 (23.976) psF, and also as P from AJA Control Panel. Same result. Haven't tried a program export yet. Could be it will clean up at that point. But would love to see the timeline at full quality as reassurance while editing. Must admit I am picky, but there is a difference. Jaggies are obvious on thin diagonal lines when played from timeline vs Viewer. Almost like line doubling artifacts. Original shot on EX-1, color corrected, legalized in Premiere CS6, output as 23.976 Psf ProRes HQ, imported to FCPX 10.1, rendered on input to ProRes 422. Don't let that confuse you, already edited a documentary with the same workflow on M100 2.1.3 (same computer) and looked perfect.

Jim Wiseman
Sony PMW-EX1,Pana AJ-D810 DVCPro, DVX-100, Nikon D7000, Final Cut Studio 2 and 3, Media 100 Suite 2.1.3, Premiere Pro 5.5 and 6.0, AJA ioHD, AJA Kona LHi, Avid MC, Hexacore MacPro 3.33 Ghz 24Gb RAM GTX-285 120GB SSD, Macbook Pro 17" 2011 2.2 Ghz Quadcore i7 8Gb SSD, G5 Quadcore PCIe

Return to posts index

Craig Alan
on Dec 29, 2013 at 4:49:55 am

Check the playback preferences in FC.

Mac Pro, macbook pro, Imacs (i7); Camcorders: Panasonic AG-HPX170/AG-HPX250P, Canon HV30/40, Sony Z7U, VX2000, PD170; FCP 6 certified; write professionally for a variety of media; teach video production in L.A.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Dec 29, 2013 at 4:34:45 pm

[Jim Wiseman] "Must admit I am picky, but there is a difference. Jaggies are obvious on thin diagonal lines when played from timeline vs Viewer. Almost like line doubling artifacts. Original shot on EX-1, color corrected, legalized in Premiere CS6, output as 23.976 Psf ProRes HQ, imported to FCPX 10.1, rendered on input to ProRes 422. "

Hi, Jim.

These sound like interlace artifacts of some sort.

Where did you do the edit and color correct? Then you 'legalized' in CS6, rendered a ProResHQ movie from there.

You say you imported to 10.1 and "rendered on import to ProRes 422". How did you do that?

When a movie is any flavor of ProRes, FCPX simply accepts it and does not rerender.

AJA video output has been totally fine with 10.1 for me, so let's take a look at your processing chain.

If I were to guess, it sounds like your progressive movie may have been flagged as interlaced.

Or, something isn't quite matching in terms of render settings in all the various applications.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Jim Wiseman
on Dec 29, 2013 at 10:52:55 pm
Last Edited By Jim Wiseman on Dec 29, 2013 at 10:54:15 pm

I have waited for 10.1 to be released before trying out FCPX. FCPX is new to me. Since Adobe has gone to rental (won't go there), I am hoping to move to FCPX for most of my finishing, primarily documentaries, so not heavy on effects. Committed to the Mac. I'm about to begin digitizing a lot of legacy DV NTSC interlace and EX-1 HD Psf material, so I plan to go to ProRes 422. HQ probably not necessary. At any rate, I imported the ProRes HQ HD clip into 10.1 as ProRes 422 via the FCPX preset. Wanted to judge 422 quality.

As I said, the material looks perfect on the AJA HD monitor when played from the FCP Preview Window with quality settings set to Better, Both Fields, using Optimized Media (where I assume the HQ to 422 conversion was done), but when I place the clip on the timeline it shows what indeed could be interlace type artifacts (jaggies on fine diagonals, some softness). The ProRes HQ clip is 23.976 Psf and has been successfully edited with the same system (computer, AJA Lhi, etc.) showing no artifacts either in Premiere CS6 and Media 100 2.1.3.

Need to do some further testing and also output the timeline to see if artifacts disappear. Any other suggestions?

Jim Wiseman

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Dec 30, 2013 at 2:31:20 am

[Jim Wiseman] "At any rate, I imported the ProRes HQ HD clip into 10.1 as ProRes 422 via the FCPX preset. Wanted to judge 422 quality. "

Are you saying you put it in a timeline with ProRes as the rendering format? Or you exported as ProRes?

There's no preset to import a ProResHQ movie to ProRes.

[Jim Wiseman] "Need to do some further testing and also output the timeline to see if artifacts disappear. Any other suggestions?"

At the bottom of the Project, what does the format and frame rate say? Make sure there are no clips selected in the timeline.

Are there any red lines above the clips in the timeline (just below the time indications)?

When you say the "FCP Preview window" are you using the Event Browser, or just the Browser?

In the Browser (or Event Browser) make sure that the "optimized/Original" option is checked and not the Proxy option, and the Better Quality is checked, like this:

0_settings.png

Show both fields should have no effect on the 23.98 material.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Jim Wiseman
on Dec 31, 2013 at 12:02:31 am

I think I had a mismatch between the rendered project selection ProRes 422 and the media as imported ProRes 422 HQ. Redid today with matching settings, both ProRes 422 HQ, and no problems.Viewer and Timeline playback both good quality, no jaggies on Timeline.

Is it possible to mix HQ and 422 media in the same project timeline? Can it then be final rendered out (exported) as either HQ or 422 or will it only render as the initial project setting? Would like to be able to mix on timeline and export as HQ.

Do believe it is time to sign up for some training! Thanks!

Jim Wiseman

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Dec 31, 2013 at 2:31:49 am

[Jim Wiseman] "Is it possible to mix HQ and 422 media in the same project timeline?"

Absolutely.

[Jim Wiseman] "Can it then be final rendered out (exported) as either HQ or 422 or will it only render as the initial project setting?"

Whichever flavor of ProRes you'd like, including LT, 444, or Proxy.

[Jim Wiseman] "Do believe it is time to sign up for some training! Thanks!"

I really enjoy Ripple Training.

Is it possible for you to upload 2 seconds of your ProResHQ movie, preferably something with some motion in it? If not, I understand. It's just so much easier to see the same media.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]