FORUMS: list search recent posts

Media management question. My library is huge

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
David Powell
Media management question. My library is huge
on Dec 28, 2013 at 4:45:33 am

So i updated 3 old events and the library sizes are huge. It appears I did something wrong. It appears that everything copied into the library instead of staying externally managed. Is there a way to break the link and relink to the external so I can just copy the files over to another drive with the same media? In the old way, I could go into the finder and delete optimized media or at least find where all the bloat was. Not sure how to do it in 10.1

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
Re: Media management question. My library is huge
on Dec 28, 2013 at 5:56:13 am

Use the consolidate command. It will move the media out of the library to a location of your choosing.

Return to posts index

David Powell
on Dec 28, 2013 at 6:03:10 am

That would be consolidating the project though no? I'd like for the library to just point to the original media with the events in place. I guess I thought the library would function similar to the way fcp 7 projects did.

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Dec 28, 2013 at 6:14:03 am

Not completely clear on what you're saying. A library consists of events and projects. Projects reside inside events now. The media can live anywhere. But not in some external event if that's what you mean. So, even if it's media that must be rewrapped to QT, it can live in an external place of your choosing.

If you didn't choose an external folder, or accidentally had it copy to the event, then you can move that media out of the event and into an external folder with the consolidate command. Use consolidate on the event or library. It will move the media to the selected location, and replace those files with aliases in the event. Now the library will be small, and portable. Someone else could open up a copy of the library on their system and access the same media. So, media sharing, but not yet project sharing.

Consolidate works like the "organize" function pre-10.1.

Return to posts index

David Powell
on Dec 28, 2013 at 6:30:20 am

I was hoping to keep the same folder structures instead of piling everything into one big folder. I have two hard drives with identical media copies and I have a library that 250gigs big. If I consolidate, it copies all the media into a different folder. I just wanted to retain the pointers, copy the library over so that it links to the original folder structure, rather than copying media that I already have and creating new links to that media.

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Dec 28, 2013 at 6:41:07 am

Well, I've converted a number of projects and events and not one single file was moved into my library folder. I have a folder for each "job" (can't call it project, that gets confusing) that contains my camera originals, AE files, psd files, motion projects, jpegs from the client, etc. And now, I also keep the library file for that job in there too. But the library links externally to the camera originals and to the pads, and the AE renders, etc. Nothing has been copied to the library. However, if it needs to rewrap something as QT, like AVCHD media, I'm letting it copy it to the library. So media in the library is eventually disposable.

Return to posts index

Claude Lyneis
on Dec 28, 2013 at 6:41:14 am

If you use consolidate to move the media somewhere else, is that somewhere else a library or just a folder? When you then look into the library with 10.1, how do you know where the media really is? Did Apple write this up in a white paper? Learning this by experiment makes me nervous.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Dec 28, 2013 at 4:31:19 pm

[Claude Lyneis] "If you use consolidate to move the media somewhere else, is that somewhere else a library or just a folder?"

It's a folder of your choosing.

[Claude Lyneis] "When you then look into the library with 10.1, how do you know where the media really is? "

It's just like 10.0. If the media is in the library, you'll see full movies. If the media is external, you'll see small alias files that link to the hard media. Right click on any alias and choose to 'show original file'.

[Claude Lyneis] "Did Apple write this up in a white paper? "

Apple had resources to read , Intelligent Assistance has a resource to read with the now free Event Manager X, and Ripple Training has an in depth look at 10.1.

[Claude Lyneis] "Learning this by experiment makes me nervous."

Apple has done a nice job in the sense that you can push or pull your original media out of a library at any time.

Event manager X helps you convert the 10.0 system to the 10.1 Library system in bite size chicks instead of converting the whole drive.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Dec 28, 2013 at 8:15:56 pm

That's the biggest problem with this update is that Apple has addressed how most people work with libraries, so you don't have all your events and projects online, yet the update just lops all your events and projects into one big library per drive, giving the false impression that a library replaces the event and project folders on each drive. Giving the default library the name of the hard drive it's on further influences this reaction. It appears that the library is more akin to the scratch disk folder of yore at first glance if you haven't read the white paper or Hodgetts article.

Apple could have done a better job of explaining the need to group events and projects together into multiple libraries and possibly even included a routine or piece of software to group them into libraries without using event manager and relaunching over and over.

Return to posts index

Craig Alan
on Dec 29, 2013 at 4:57:49 am

I'm new to this too. But when I converted my first project, FC asked if I wanted to save the old version. Is it possible you are saving two versions (the new library and the old projects and events folders)?

Mac Pro, macbook pro, Imacs (i7); Camcorders: Panasonic AG-HPX170/AG-HPX250P, Canon HV30/40, Sony Z7U, VX2000, PD170; FCP 6 certified; write professionally for a variety of media; teach video production in L.A.

Return to posts index

Michael Hadley
on Dec 29, 2013 at 7:06:14 pm

Could use a little help/advice as I gingerly update projects and events to 10.1.

A number of my projects use media from events on multiple drives. So let's say project "Sunshine v2" uses interviews and brill from my LaCie Quadra on two events but also uses broll from 3 events on my older OWC Raid.

Now there are also projects not the LaCie that use media from the the Lacie.

What should my approach be?

I don't want to copy all of the media from one drive to the next (waste of space) but if I update ""Sunshine v2" FCPX wants me to update the event on the OWC Raid.

A little confusing. Thoughts? Advice? Step by step instructions? Thanks as always.

Return to posts index

Dave Gage
on Dec 29, 2013 at 11:12:42 pm
Last Edited By Dave Gage on Dec 29, 2013 at 11:24:49 pm

[Craig Alan] " Is it possible you are saving two versions (the new library and the old projects and events folders)?"

Craig, check out this Ripple video-

I believe it's covered earlier on in this video. If not, take a look at the 1st and 2nd parts of this 3-part series. The 3 part series is very good as an intro to Libraries and converting from Events and Projects.

[EDIT: I just watched it again, it wasn't covered in part 3, so it's in 1 or 2. You can get to all 3 parts from here-
http://www.youtube.com/user/rippleguy?feature=watch ]

Dave

Return to posts index

David Powell
on Dec 31, 2013 at 2:41:12 am

What I discovered was that you have to use "open package contents" to find where the bulk is coming from. That's where all the info is that used to be stored in the events folder. All my proxies were there and thats where the large file size came from. Just a matter of deleting the proxies before copying the project or the route I went which was create a new library and copy the projects to it from within FCP.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Dec 31, 2013 at 2:55:54 am

[David Powell] "Just a matter of deleting the proxies before copying the project or the route I went which was create a new library and copy the projects to it from within FCP."

There's another way to do it.

You can select the Events or Projects and choose File > Copy Project to Library > New Library.

Name the new Library and choose a destination.

You will then get a pop asking if you'd like to copy the proxy or optimized media. It looks like this:

copylibrary.png

Then, all of the new Libraries will not have the generated media.

You can do this with Events, too.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

David Powell
on Dec 31, 2013 at 3:05:08 am

Yes that's what I ended up doing and what I meant by the process inside fcp. I was trying to treat the library the way I did fcp 7 projects which was the problem.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]