FORUMS: list search recent posts

Moving a Project to a new library

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Robert Castiglione
Moving a Project to a new library
on Dec 28, 2013 at 2:36:43 am

I have I suppose an elementary question about the new library structure in fcx 10.1. I understand the concept that a library is self contained. I have a large Library created using the update process with many events containing collections of clips. All my projects reside in one of the "events" - they do not show the clips associated with those particular projects. If I move only the projects to a new library will all the clips associated with those projects be moved to the new library as well or will the projects show offline clips?

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
Re: Moving a Project to a new library
on Dec 28, 2013 at 6:07:13 am

Did you read this? http://www.philiphodgetts.com/2013/12/upgrade-your-events-and-project-to-fc...

Return to posts index

Robert Castiglione
on Dec 28, 2013 at 8:18:18 am

Yes. I did. I also read the apple white paper on the new library structure. I might just give it a go and see what happens i.e. copy just a project into a new library.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Dec 28, 2013 at 4:33:19 pm

Yes. A Project is tied to the Library it resides in.

If you copy a Project to a new Library, fcpx will tell you it's going to copy the media.

If your media is external, it will only copy the links, keeping file size to a minimum.

Return to posts index

Michael Sanders
on Dec 28, 2013 at 9:52:20 pm

But its important to remember that (Wrongly IMHO) that Libraries still contain the folders for Transcoded media and Render files, so they will get large and need to be on a fast hard drive.

I really want Apple to address this - perhaps the obvious solution is a warning option to create an "other media" folder in the same directory as the media when importing.

Michael Sanders
London Based DP/Editor

Return to posts index

Robert Castiglione
on Dec 29, 2013 at 1:05:30 am

Thankyou. I tested it and as noted it worked just fine.

I updated a project with only referenced media and transcoded files with a very large number of events and projects. I am using an old tired mac pro 3,1 8 core. Amazingly it still manages to load and deal with it notwithstanding the single library struture. I am guessing that this is because of improvements in data management in 10.1. Nevertheless, I am nearing the end of the project and I do not need to reference the other events with clips in them very often any more and it occurred to me that a smaller library with just the near completed project would be a much better idea.

Concerning transcoded files, are you able to elaborate? The entire project is about 600 gigs and resides on a standard 7200 rpm drive and is accessed via esata - no raid. The original files are red epic. Notwithstanding this my ancient machine can still pretty easily handle it - amazing really.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Dec 29, 2013 at 1:51:33 am

Transcoded files (optimized or proxy) live in the Library at all times.

Unfortunately, you can't consolidate the files in and out of the Library like you can with original media.

This would be a great feature.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]