FORUMS: list search recent posts

Never noticed this before...

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Don Smith
Never noticed this before...
on Dec 27, 2013 at 3:42:01 pm

I've been working in X since Day One. Only now have I noticed this...

In the Inspector for a clip on the timeline, enabling the rectangular icon in the Transform section (turning it from white to blue) and then hovering your cursor anywhere over the timeline makes the playhead go red and you have no Skimmer. Disable that icon (from blue back to white) and hovering your cursor in the timeline the playhead goes back to white and you get your Skimmer back. I'm in 10.1.

Don Smith

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
Re: Never noticed this before...
on Dec 27, 2013 at 4:32:15 pm

Always been that way. Still drives me crazy and I forget and think I need to reboot.

There have been threads where people were looking for a hot key to get out of that mode. ESC doesn't work, enter doesn't work. But it's not really a mode as much as a tool, just like in FCP Legacy. They just moved the button out of the tool menu into the viewer window for particular functions. Shift+T enters transform, but entering another tool like the crop tool (shift+C) gets you out and of course into the crop tool. So the way to get back to a "normal" state/tool without pressing the transform button is simply to press "A." For the arrow tool.

Return to posts index

Don Smith
on Dec 27, 2013 at 4:51:47 pm

Great information Bret. Thank you. Like others I was looking for a keyboard shortcut to get out of it. I quickly found the Shift-T to get into it and I just learned from your message that the A key is an easy way to get out of it.

With 10.1 you don't have to even select the clip if that 'ball' is over it!

Thank you,

Don Smith

NewsVideo.com

Return to posts index

Don Smith
on Dec 27, 2013 at 6:34:26 pm

Great information Bret. Thank you. Like others I was looking for a keyboard shortcut to get out of it. I quickly found the Shift-T to get into it and I just learned from your message that the A key is an easy way to get out of it.

With 10.1 you don't have to even select the clip if that 'ball' is over it!

Thank you,

Don Smith

NewsVideo.com

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Dec 27, 2013 at 7:53:37 pm

In all the conversing about X I've done on line - I've always advocated thinking about the A key as the "return to normal" key - and I have muscle memory now that when I invoke anything else, Position, Trim, whatever - I always tap A to return to "home mode" at the end of any operation.

Funny how everyone learns to operate the same tools in slightly different ways.

Know someone who teaches video editing in elementary school, high school or college? Tell them to check out http://www.StartEditingNow.com - video editing curriculum complete with licensed practice content.

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Dec 27, 2013 at 9:24:44 pm

Doesn't it drive you nuts when you're in AE or Premiere that the normal key is the "V" key?

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Dec 28, 2013 at 5:38:37 pm

[Bret Williams] "Doesn't it drive you nuts when you're in AE or Premiere that the normal key is the "V" key?"

Nope, Bret, but mostly because I use neither program very much.

I missed the AE era since during the time it was coming from COSA to Adobe, I was in the field shooting and generally sitting behind editors rather than in the seat myself. I didn't really start my personal NLE editing career until the release of FCP Legacy. Prior to that I sat in TV Stations behind editors or worked with early A/B rolll tape based systems.

By a couple of years later, I was running crews and my own shop, but only edited because I truly enjoyed it. Never really got the bug to be beyond just barely competent at MoGraph work.

Also never needed to learn Premier since I had FCP-Legacy literally from it's NAB debut and it was all I ever needed for editing.

Such is life.

Know someone who teaches video editing in elementary school, high school or college? Tell them to check out http://www.StartEditingNow.com - video editing curriculum complete with licensed practice content.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]