FORUMS: list search recent posts

FCX 10.1 and HDMI

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Don Smith
FCX 10.1 and HDMI
on Dec 27, 2013 at 10:56:54 am

By what I read it appears that the latest MacBook Pro and the new Mac Pro can be used by FCPX 10.1 to natively use the HDMI port as a timeline video output to a video monitor. My Thunderbolt mid-2012 MacBook Pro won't do it and I'm considering getting the latest MacBook Pro if its true that the HDMI port can be used by FCPX 10.1. for video output monitoring.

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
Re: FCX 10.1 and HDMI
on Dec 27, 2013 at 3:01:11 pm

I was under the impression that this function was reserved for the MacPro?

Return to posts index

Don Smith
on Dec 27, 2013 at 3:32:29 pm

There's an Apple Support document, talking about 4k, that lists the latest MacBook Pro's as being capable of being using by 10.1 to output the timeline through the HDMI port. I'm trying to confirm from those running 10.1 on a Late 2013 MacBook Pro if indeed that's the case for not only 4k but for HD as well. Just making sure before I spend the money for that purpose.

Here's the Apple Support document:

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT6057

Don Smith

NewsVideo.com

Return to posts index

Dave Jenkins
on Dec 27, 2013 at 4:40:27 pm

It doesn't say from the FCP X timeline. Where did you see that?

Final Cut Pro X 10.1: Mac computers capable of viewing 4K resolution via HDMI
The following Mac computers are capable of viewing 4K resolution via HDMI from Final Cut Pro X 10.1.

Mac Pro (Late 2013)
MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Late 2013)
MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch, Late 2013)
The supported 4K resolutions are as follows. Note that not every 4K monitor will support both of these resolutions, and 4096 x 2160 is only supported via HDMI at 24fps.

4096 x 2160
3840 x 2160

Dajen Productions, Santa Barbara, CA
MacPro 3.2GHz Quad Core - AJA Kona LHe+
FCS 3 OS X 10.7.4
FCP X, Logic Pro, Squeeze, Filemaker 10.8.3

Return to posts index

Don Smith
on Dec 27, 2013 at 4:55:18 pm

RE: "It doesn't say from the FCP X timeline. Where did you see that?"

That's the point of my inquiry. It doesn't specifically say 'Timeline' but it does say 'via HDMI from Final Cut Pro X 10.1." and that's why I saying that the article seems to suggest that it plays out from the X timeline but I'm looking to confirm that before I buy a new laptop.

NewsVideo.com

Return to posts index

nick ring
on Dec 27, 2013 at 4:42:27 pm

I am using a late 2013 15" rMBP w/ discrete GPU. I did a quick test the other day to confirm that this does exist. I connected to a HDTV via HDMI out. in FCPX 10.1 preferences you'll see the HDTV listed in the A/V output. Then, under the Window dropdown menu, toggle A/V output. That will switch the HDMI out from a 2nd screen to a full-screen video out.

So, in principle, it works. I didn't have the opportunity to test it and see how well it actually performs or looks.

-nick

Return to posts index

Dave Jenkins
on Dec 27, 2013 at 4:48:34 pm

I did read this:
NTSC or PAL output requires compatible third-party video interface hardware and software. 4K output requires a third-party video interface or a 4K-capable Mac with an HDMI output. FireWire DV devices are not supported.

So it's not another computer monitor but a real NTSC output?

FCS 3 OS X 10.7.4

Return to posts index

Dave Jenkins
on Dec 28, 2013 at 4:36:37 am

Here's another quote from the manual:
View playback on an external monitor using HDMI
If you’re using Final Cut Pro 10.1 or later on a 4K-capable Mac with an HDMI port, you can play 4K or HD 1080 video on an external video monitor connected to the HDMI port.
For a list of compatible Mac computers, go to http://support.apple.com/kb/HT6057.
1 Use an HDMI cable to connect the external (HDMI) video monitor to the HDMI port on your Mac,
and make sure the monitor is connected to power and turned on.
2 To configure the HDMI monitor, choose Apple menu > System Preferences, and click Displays.
3 In Displays preferences, set the HDMI monitor to be a secondary display.

What happens if you use two monitors plus an HDMI HDTV?

4 Select Scaled, and in the list that appears, select 4096 x 2160, 3840 x 2160, 1080i, or 1080p.
Note: You may need to press the Option key while you click Scaled to see additional resolutions for the HDMI monitor.
5 To select the monitor in Final Cut Pro, choose Final Cut Pro > Preferences (or press Command- Comma), click Playback, and choose the HDMI monitor from the A/V Output pop-up menu.
6 In Final Cut Pro, choose Window > A/V Output.
The Viewer contents appear on the HDMI monitor. Viewer features (such as onscreen controls
and the title-safe and action-safe overlays) can be viewed only in Final Cut Pro. Note: Video and audio are synced at the video frame (not audio sample) level.

FCS 3 OS X 10.7.4

Return to posts index

Don Smith
on Dec 28, 2013 at 11:28:19 am

Thank you DAVE! That decides it. I'll be putting my max-ed out mid-2012 Thunderbolt 15" rMBPro up for sale and getting the latest model just to be able to feed out the HDMI port.

Don Smith

NewsVideo.com

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Dec 28, 2013 at 8:36:18 pm

Why wouldn't you just get a BMD mini-monitor? Seems it would be a more proper video out device, supporting inteaced and SDI.

Return to posts index

Don Smith
on Mar 6, 2014 at 11:25:22 am
Last Edited By Don Smith on Mar 6, 2014 at 12:14:19 pm

I'm editing this post from asking for help to solved.

Got my new maxed-out 12-core Mac Pro and hooked up three monitors; a 27" Thunderbolt for my main display and two 1080 monitors. One connected with an adaptor to be the second display and one connected via HDMI to show as the output of the timeline on Final Cut Pro X.

Originally, the HDMI output simply did not work. After trying many things I powered down the new Mac Pro and switched some cables around. I originally had all three monitors connected to the third bus (the bottom two TB ports (across) and the HDMI port. Yes, all three monitors were being served by one bus. I put one monitor into each of the three buses. In the two columns of three TB ports the top two vertically on the left is one bus, the top two vertically on the right is another bus, and the bottom two horizontally and the HDMI port are served by the third bus. Once I had the monitor load spread out among the three buses then my HDMI monitor came to life (it showed no input before). Suddenly the HDMI monitor showed up in my Display preferences as well, and the HDMI port could be enabled in Final Cut Pro X.

Yay!

NewsVideo.com

Return to posts index

Craig Alan
on Dec 29, 2013 at 5:57:55 am

Wouldn't this do the trick for less:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1016029-REG/blackmagic_design_bdlkuls...

Mac Pro, macbook pro, Imacs (i7); Camcorders: Panasonic AG-HPX170/AG-HPX250P, Canon HV30/40, Sony Z7U, VX2000, PD170; FCP 6 certified; write professionally for a variety of media; teach video production in L.A.

Return to posts index

Don Smith
on Dec 29, 2013 at 11:34:58 am

Thanks for all the suggestions but I don't want to monitor my video from the laptop. I want to FEED it!

I work in television news (freelance) and I sometimes will have a need to edit on-site and feed out HDMI or SDI (with an HDMI-to-SDI adaptor) to an uplink truck or at a facility where I will need to feed an edited piece in real-time to New York (usually) without having to use some intermediary device that I may not have with me.

I just wanted to confirm that the newest MacBook Pro would do that and it appears that it will so I need to upgrade.

Don Smith

NewsVideo.com

Return to posts index

Dave Brandt
on Dec 29, 2013 at 5:02:32 pm

I can confirm that this works quite well.

I used to use premiere to feed VTs into our Black Magic Atem but have used FCPX 10.1 on 2 gigs so far and it went off without a hitch. I didn't render out a master file but played straight from a rendered project. We had roughly 30 minutes of content for each event.

Dave

http://www.SolidMedia.ie

Macbook Pro 17" i7 2.2 8GB
PC i7 32GB Self Build
FCP 7 FCPX Adobe CS6 Vegas 12 Nuendo 4

Return to posts index

Ken Winokur
on Mar 17, 2014 at 2:12:25 am

Hi Everyone

I may have found an even simpler way of getting HDMI TV output that goes beyond what the Apple documentation says. I found it strange that the Apple document referenced 4k capable output HDMI devices only. I just wanted to monitor a real 1080P output without having to get an external device. So I tried it on my machine which is just a 2012 MacMini I7 with intergrated Intel 4000 graphics and 8 gigs of ram. I know it not listed as being supported but it works perfectly for 1080P video. I was able to get it to show up a a external video device in my FCP X preferences by following the Apple instruction for the supported devices.
I am using it right now playing back a time line with 4 layers of effects playing at full speed with no problems at all. I have used a Matrox MXO2 with FCP 7 extensivly for video duplication and output of shows to tape so I know what a hardware output should look like.
Best Regards
Ken

Return to posts index

Leonardo Franke
on Jun 2, 2014 at 11:57:38 am

Yeah I can confirm that.
Just bought myself an Sony Bravia 32'' for Video Output. I was just using it as second monitor (already ok) when I stumbled over the option in the menu… I thought I had to buy a aja t-tap to do that….but apparently not.
I have an MBP early 2011 with 16GB Ram…so I output the AV Signal through display port-HDMI cable to the tv…it looks great and the colors with the right settings are amazing for a display which costed me 350€!!!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]