FORUMS: list search recent posts

10.1 Keyframe Bug - Please confirm

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Don Smith
10.1 Keyframe Bug - Please confirm
on Dec 27, 2013 at 10:50:25 am

It was driving me crazy! I SWORE that I had set that Position keyframe on a clip but I found out a moment later that it wasn't there! Now, I can repeat the bug on my mid-2012 MacBook Pro with Thunderbolt running FCPX 10.1 under Mavericks. I can take a clip that's not had a keyframe set yet and set a Position keyframe in the Inspector. As I move my mouse pointer away the keyframe disappears! That's happens only on the first attempt. After that the keyframe will set normally. It only happens (to me) on a clip new to the timeline. Set Position keyframe and pull away and watch as it disappears. That's what it does, repeatedly, for me. Can anyone confirm if its happening to you?

Don Smith

Return to posts index

Andy Neil
Re: 10.1 Keyframe Bug - Please confirm
on Dec 27, 2013 at 5:32:51 pm

I can confirm. Definitely a bug. I'd write it up as I did to Apple. Here's what I noticed:

Happens when you try to set a keyframe on a clip you've just added to the project.

Only happens in the Inspector. If you set the keyframe in the viewer with the transform tool in the viewer, the keyframe sets properly.

FCPX registers that "something" has happened even though the keyframe is not placed. In other words, you can "undo" the phantom keyframe, and re-set it.

This occurs on all keyframable parameters in the video tab.

Something similar even occurs in audio. If you set a keyframe in the inspector on the volume parameter and then move the mouse away, the keyframe will disappear there as well. But the keyframe does in fact set (you can see the keyframe on the clip in the timeline). If you hover the mouse over the clip in the timeline, to make the timeline active, the keyframe automatically shows up in the inspector. This does not happen in video.

Also, I noticed a frame or two shift in the displayed video when I try to set that first keyframe. I'll set the playhead over the clip, go to the inspector and hit the position keyframe button and the video in the viewer will shift a few frames even though the playhead doesn't move.

Andy

http://www.timesavertutorials.com

Return to posts index

Don Smith
on Dec 27, 2013 at 6:40:07 pm

Thank you Andy. Good to know it's not just me, bad to know the bug exists. Hard to believe they missed this in testing. I wonder if there's a wider problem with the keyframes seeing that, as noted by my post nearby, exporting the Project XML caused all my Position keyframes that were set with 'Linear' to revert to 'Smooth' and all Scale keyframes to go 'poof!' and keyframes in my home-grown effect also poof'ed away. Seems the keyframes function needs priority attention.

Thanks for your report.

Don Smith

NewsVideo.com

Return to posts index

Dave Jenkins
on Dec 27, 2013 at 8:08:33 pm

I can confirm this bug as well.

Dajen Productions, Santa Barbara, CA
MacPro 3.2GHz Quad Core - AJA Kona LHe+
FCS 3 OS X 10.7.4
FCP X, Logic Pro, Squeeze, Filemaker 10.8.3

Return to posts index

Don Smith
on Dec 27, 2013 at 9:52:02 pm

*sigh* This isn't my day. In addition to keyframe bugs and XML bugs (both confirmed. Not my machine), several of my titles have now lost their settings! Really! Editing away on my 2009 Mac Pro (I used a fresh drive to install Mavericks) and I export. Check the export. Two titles are missing! Checking the timeline, they're there but the same color as the white BG and with default text!

I fix those. Export. Check the export. DAMN! Now six different title objects in the beginning have lost their text! They were there during my previous export!

Now, the moment I get to a safe place I save the project as a Snapshot!

Anyone else experiencing this on 10.1?

Don Smith

NewsVideo.com

Return to posts index

Dave Jenkins
Re: 10.1 Titles Missing - Please confirm
on Dec 28, 2013 at 12:46:06 am

I did a quick test for a title missing. I used the basic lower third changed color and size, exported fine. In the timeline fine.

Dajen Productions, Santa Barbara, CA
MacPro 3.2GHz Quad Core - AJA Kona LHe+
FCS 3 OS X 10.7.4
FCP X, Logic Pro, Squeeze, Filemaker 10.8.3

Return to posts index

Don Smith
on Dec 28, 2013 at 11:31:52 am

Thank you Dave. My titles were mostly there and stayed there but suddenly two titles were back to their default state. I discovered this checking the export. They seemed to be there before. I fixed them and exported, and on checking the export six more titles (different ones) had defaulted to their initial state. And I SWEAR they were fine when I fixed the first two because I scrubbed the whole timeline checking for more after fixing the first two titles. That said, maybe thirty other titles on the timeline were just fine. Go figure.

NewsVideo.com

Return to posts index

Andy Neil
on Dec 28, 2013 at 4:45:30 pm

That sounds more like corruption than a bug. Have you deleted preferences, created a new project and copy/pasted and all that jazz? Was the malfunctioning project an updated project?

Andy

http://www.timesavertutorials.com

Return to posts index

Don Smith
on Dec 29, 2013 at 11:41:04 am

Andy, now that you have me thinking that way it is true that the missing titles problem didn't appear until I was working on the imported XML version of the project at work after having sent the XML from home. At work before, and at home where I had simply brought a copy of all the media with me, I didn't have the missing titles problem. It was only after sent the XML update of the project back to myself at work.

I've already spoken about the problem of the exported XML losing all 'Linear' settings of Position keyframes and I think you confirmed that. I'm starting to wonder if the exported XML has another problem that is causing my flakey titles.

Thanks for your input.

Don Smith

NewsVideo.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]