FORUMS: list search recent posts

10.1 fix any of the problems with compound clips

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Craig Alan
10.1 fix any of the problems with compound clips
on Dec 23, 2013 at 5:14:43 pm

compound clips are a great feature but I keep hearing feedback from advanced users that too many create problems like slowing down and corrupted projects and the like. has 10.1 fixed any of this?

Mac Pro, macbook pro, Imacs (i7); Camcorders: Panasonic AG-HPX170/AG-HPX250P, Canon HV30/40, Sony Z7U, VX2000, PD170; FCP 6 certified; write professionally for a variety of media; teach video production in L.A.

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
Re: 10.1 fix any of the problems with compound clips
on Dec 23, 2013 at 5:20:21 pm

I haven't heard any of those complaints since they completely changed the nature of compound clips almost a year ago. Performance and stability seem to be better across the board with 10.1. If there were still lingering issues (I use them often without any worries) then I'm sure if there have been any changes.

Return to posts index

Craig Alan
on Dec 23, 2013 at 8:58:13 pm

I thought it was an on-going concern - corrupted projects and the like. Good to hear. Like the feature. Thanks.

Mac Pro, macbook pro, Imacs (i7); Camcorders: Panasonic AG-HPX170/AG-HPX250P, Canon HV30/40, Sony Z7U, VX2000, PD170; FCP 6 certified; write professionally for a variety of media; teach video production in L.A.

Return to posts index

Craig Alan
on Dec 23, 2013 at 9:50:22 pm

Thanks. I thought it was an on-going concern. Guess I wasn't paying attention to the date of posts.

what about this

http://www.hdwarrior.co.uk/2013/07/21/shocking-discovery-with-fcpx-no-compl...

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Dec 23, 2013 at 11:32:55 pm

This was a common problem before they changed compound clips functionality. And considering they thought he'd have been doomed without an app (event mgr x) that simply moves a file out of a folder in the finder, I'm not sure I can trust their knowledge level with the app. I'd guess that even though he was using 10.0.8 that he was being given advice that was outdated and simply being repeated as a matter of habit. But very well putting a compound clip in a 53min sequence, plus having multiple copies of that sequence qued in RAM, may have just been too much for the system. I wouldn't have expected Premiere or Legacy to be much happier.

But why put a compound clip in a multiclip? That just makes my brain hurt.

Before they changed compound clips, every time to sliced a compound, it created a new stand alone instance in the project. So if you have a large compound, and you sliced it up for editing purposes, each one of those slices was a full version of the compound. Now, they all would refer to the same compound which has to live in the event. Make changes to the compound and it ripples through all others, eve. Before, they were all separate. Now, if you want separate instances, you have to reference a new parent compound.

Return to posts index

Craig Alan
on Dec 24, 2013 at 5:45:59 pm

[Bret Williams] "Now, if you want separate instances, you have to reference a new parent compound.
"

And if that were your practice are there any performance hits? I ask because it would not be my practice to have it ripple through others. I also remember that having a compound within a compound was a particular problem ... has that been fixed as well?

BYW I find your posts really helpful and right to the point. Thanks.

Return to posts index

Mark Dobson
on Dec 24, 2013 at 6:45:30 am

[Craig Alan] "Thanks. I thought it was an on-going concern. Guess I wasn't paying attention to the date of posts.

what about this"
http://www.hdwarrior.co.uk/2013/07/21/shocking-discovery-with-fcpx-no-compl.....

I wouldn't hold too much credence from a blog post about FCPX on hdwarrier, it's primarily a cameraman blog, highly opinionated and quite often a place for the guy who runs it to blow off steam when he can't get something to work.

As Bret points out compound clips were radically changed and improved, I've still not got used to how well they work and also how changes ripple through different iterations of the original compound.

Return to posts index

Craig Alan
on Dec 24, 2013 at 5:40:27 pm

Thanks Mark. You can have them not ripple through your other uses of the compound. And I was using that link as an example not cause I knew anything about it. I just thought it was a common problem. But I will jump in after installing the new OS and 10.1.

Return to posts index

Andre van Berlo
on Dec 24, 2013 at 11:55:17 am

Hey Craig,

I use compound clips a lot, some get quite complex but I've never had any issues with them in the past year or so. You can get really creative with them, and i believe even have compound clips in compound clips. Never tried a compound clip in a multi-cam though(could also try other way around)

Since I have a very crappy iMac i do notice that using a lot of compound clips slow things down quite a bit but we're talking about a late 2009 3.06ghz duo core here. I assume you have something substantially beefier than that so you should be more than fine. Even I can survive using proxies :-)

André

Return to posts index

Craig Alan
on Dec 24, 2013 at 5:41:35 pm

Thanks. But yeah the slowing things down is one of the things I thought was a concern. But if it is solid now I'll jump in. Great feature.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]