FORUMS: list search recent posts

working with .psd files in FCPX

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Peter Crawley-Boevey
working with .psd files in FCPX
on Dec 23, 2013 at 5:27:36 am

Hi,

I have a project that includes a number of bullet point slides as part of the videos. I want to create the slide as .psd file and import them. No problems with this.

he issue comes in getting the precise timing of each bullet point to appear with the voice over. Currently I take the time at the beginning of the .psd clip on the timeline and then the time at the point that I want the bullet points to appear. However when I open up the .psd clip to view and adjust the layers, I have to calculate the new time relative to the start of the now opened clip which is usually zero second and frames. All possible but time consuming.

I would like to "mark" the .psd clip in the timeline as I play the voice over where I want the bullet points to come in and for those marks to be accurately transferred when .psd clip is opened with all the layers. Any suggestion please?

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
Re: working with .psd files in FCPX
on Dec 23, 2013 at 3:56:43 pm

In 10.1 when you double click a compound clip, the playhead (not skimmer) will be at the same point. Sadly, this doesn't happen for multi cam clips, and I'm not sure about psd files. It almost seems like a feature that was implemented by accident.

Return to posts index

Mark Morache
Re: working with .psd files in FCPX
on Dec 23, 2013 at 7:57:15 pm

I'd be tempted to either move your vo into the compound psd clip, or break it apart in your timeline, add your effects, and create a new compound clip out of it.

I'd love to have a way to expand the compound clips in the timeline without breaking the compound apart, sort of like avid, where you can expand your effects and see them in the context of the timeline.

Meanwhile, stepping in and out is really annoying. You could also copy the portion of the vo into the compound clip just for timing, and disable it before you step back out.

Even though some things might be a little awkward in X, there are usually numerous ways to deal with it.

---------
Don't live your life in a secondary storyline.

Mark Morache
FCPX/FCP7/Xpri/Avid
Evening Magazine,Seattle, WA
http://fcpx.wordpress.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]