FORUMS: list search recent posts

Sound Question

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
james Lackleter
Sound Question
on Dec 23, 2013 at 5:07:46 am

Some clips reaching -6db are showing a bassy distortion. Basically clips with sudden rises reaching -6 db (my max db allotment for the project) It's hard to explain really, I'm not sure what the technical term is for this and I'd like to know. I can use EQ to get rid of the noise, but they are all dialogue clips. Again the distortion only occurs in clips with an abrupt and loud raise in loudness.

Return to posts index

james Lackleter
Re: Sound Question
on Dec 23, 2013 at 5:10:33 am

Also I can bring the levels down to -12 db and get rid of the distortion and have used no compression. The distortion is present in the original file.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Dec 23, 2013 at 6:07:33 am

How are you monitoring this distortion?

Return to posts index

james Lackleter
on Dec 23, 2013 at 8:57:22 am

Ah yes, it only appears in my headset, it's just a cheap phillips that I like to use for tonal discrepancies. Surround system it is not present, but then again most distortions aren't as present. I'll send you the clip if you'd like and thanks for reply

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Dec 23, 2013 at 5:07:58 pm

If you sent it, I would take a listen.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

james Lackleter
on Dec 23, 2013 at 9:15:43 pm

https://dl-web.dropbox.com/get/Public/BILBO_DY3T61.WAV?w=AAAGwNsofvs9OebOZq...

Here's a dropbox link, a lav mic was used, I left in for you though I removed it, and did not alter the file. The distortion occurs at 1:04 at the lines "Huh, Huh!" and only when it's raised to -6b. This same problem occurs other places, very rarely, but common factor is an abrupt change in dynamic range and loudness.

The less clear voice is just someone feeding lines of camera so please ignore. Thanks

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Dec 23, 2013 at 9:55:44 pm

Thanks.

I think the link is broken, though.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

james Lackleter
on Dec 27, 2013 at 5:34:03 pm

Okay, I'll put it up again and send the link, I believe that it is a transient impulse low frequency noise cause by interference, and it resonates into the voice. I've been doing research and have found little information on how to remove it.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Dec 29, 2013 at 4:57:01 pm

Hi.

I'm away from the studio, but I took a listen and will be able to take a better listen next week, but it appears Ch1 is a better recording than Ch2. Right after the section you mentioned 1:04 there seems to be what sounds like a bit of friction or clothes rustle that isn't apparent on Ch1, and then it seems like it might just be a weak wireless connection. What is going on in the video? It seem like there's a bit of turmoil perhaps the mic got repositioned/covered/moved out of place during the commotion.

I'd just use Channel 1.

There's a little more room noise/reverb, but that might be OK. Are you planning on taking this out to an audio mix?

Jeremy

Return to posts index

james Lackleter
on Dec 29, 2013 at 10:40:24 pm

Yes the channel 2 is a lav mic, 1 is the boom, so for the most part I just used the boom mic. They are in a small room so I don't mind the reverb too much, though I did run a very slight dereverb on the shots where I only used the boom. I don't know if I mentioned this but the other actor is a grip reading off camera so his voice doesn't matter. What's really bothering me is the "huh, huh" line. A very subtle low frequency noise which I think is a low frequency transient impulse causing it. I've done some research on it and all I can find is grad papers suggesting algorithms to fix it, but they are way over my head. I'm a director not a sound engineer.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Dec 30, 2013 at 2:05:11 am
Last Edited By Jeremy Garchow on Jan 18, 2014 at 2:48:51 pm

Lavs sometimes capture more of the chest cavity than the voice. If the mic got shuffled around, this could be worse.

I'd use the boom as there's a cleaner sound there.

Are you going out to a proper audio mix?

Jeremy

Return to posts index

james Lackleter
on Dec 30, 2013 at 3:13:51 am

Do you mean am I hiring a mixer? Probably not as I've come pretty far with it and I don't think there's much more I can do with it. I'm still working on the mix but I'll put up the whole scene I a minute if you want to take a listen. For the most part I did not use the lav but I did get some use out of it. When the actor dropped to his knees it's as you said, caught in his cavity. One sec I'm going to put up the scene.

Return to posts index

james Lackleter
on Dec 30, 2013 at 3:37:17 am

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/35455152/third%20act%20sound.wav

Still needs work, working on the ambience track, just heard a click, but it's getting there I think. The trans impulse is still a concern of mine

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jan 18, 2014 at 2:50:59 pm
Last Edited By Jeremy Garchow on Jan 18, 2014 at 3:26:02 pm

I forgot to write back here.

I listened to this and it's sounding pretty good. If I were you I would be fairly pleased with the results considering that mic placement seems to have been compromised.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]