FORUMS: list search recent posts

10.1 - Unable to relink to renamed files located within new libraries/ Files within the new library package contents are not searchable in finder

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Colin McQuillan
10.1 - Unable to relink to renamed files located within new libraries/ Files within the new library package contents are not searchable in finder
on Dec 22, 2013 at 12:43:11 am

Something to take into consideration while upgrading to the new library structure:

Having issues relinking to files that are contained within other libraries.

Trouble I have come across is with a few files that have been renamed. I know exactly where the file I need to relink/replace is, but when using the relink interface it will not search within the package contents of the new libraries, not will it allow me to navigate into the package contents within FCPX to manually link to the file.

Work around I have done is using finder. Close any other libraries that reference the file - drag the file out of the library, use relink to manually reconnect the file to the offline file, close FCPX, then put the file back where I grabbed it from and reopen, now all projects show the file back online.

Colin McQuillan
Vancouver, B.C.

Return to posts index

Colin McQuillan
Re: 10.1 - Unable to relink to renamed files located within new libraries/ Files within the new library package contents are not searchable in finder
on Dec 22, 2013 at 12:45:52 am

Of course best case scenario is to never rename a master file once it has been imported into a project! But the same issue could come up if trying to replace media by relinking to a different file if it is contained in another fcpx library.

Colin McQuillan
Vancouver, B.C.

Return to posts index

Jeff Kirkland
Re: 10.1 - Unable to relink to renamed files located within new libraries/ Files within the new library package contents are not searchable in finder
on Dec 22, 2013 at 1:25:59 am

Of course you no longer need to keep the files within the library so if you opt to keep your media in the finder you're free to bend and break them any way you want.

Jeff Kirkland | Video Producer | Southern Creative Media | Melbourne Australia
http://www.southerncreative.com.au | G+: http://gplus.to/jeffkirkland | Twitter: @jeffkirkland

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Dec 22, 2013 at 3:29:04 am

The Consolidate function moves Managed media out of the library.

Also, dragging a file from one library to another will transfer the file.

If the file is linked, it will only transfer the link.

Return to posts index

Mark Morache
on Dec 23, 2013 at 5:20:44 am

You may not be able to search, but this trick might make it a bit easier to relink.

You can go to the FCPX library, control-click and select show package contents. You can take any of the folders inside the package and drag it into the sidebar as a shortcut. Now when you're trying to relink insice FCPX, you can go into the package container through the link you put in the sidebar.

There may be an easier way to do this, but this might help.

As for me, I like to keep my media outside the library, and FCPX seems to know that now.

---------
Don't live your life in a secondary storyline.

Mark Morache
FCPX/FCP7/Xpri/Avid
Evening Magazine,Seattle, WA
http://fcpx.wordpress.com

Return to posts index

Craig Alan
on Dec 23, 2013 at 6:20:49 am

I understand that in 10.1 you are allowed to store your media where you like. I'd like to hear what your organization is. Where do you store it and how do you organize it? Or anyone that is reading this thread and has an effective system. Also what do you find lacking in the library system?

Mac Pro, macbook pro, Imacs (i7); Camcorders: Panasonic AG-HPX170/AG-HPX250P, Canon HV30/40, Sony Z7U, VX2000, PD170; FCP 6 certified; write professionally for a variety of media; teach video production in L.A.

Return to posts index

adam chesbrough
on Jan 9, 2014 at 9:21:29 pm

I just updated a massive event/project to library for 10.1. I am now missing almost all of the files. When I try to relink I am getting the error that the media must contain the same video and similar audio etc. I have not changed the name nor have I moved the location of the media. Why will it now let me relink the files and does anyone know of a solution? This is very frustrating.

Macbook Pro Retina: 2.6GHZ i7, 16GB RAM 1600MHz DDR3, GT 650M 1GB RAM

Hackintosh (Sandy Bridge): i5 2500, 16GB 1333MHz DDR3, Nvidia GT640 2GB RAM

OWC 4TB RAID0 (using esata)
Tempo SATA Pro ExpressCard/34 (6Gb/s)
Echo ExpressCard Pro Thunderbolt Adapter

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jan 9, 2014 at 11:24:46 pm

Did you save the old Events and Projects when asked?

If so, try in there.

Return to posts index

adam chesbrough
on Jan 10, 2014 at 4:14:56 pm

I have saved them and that is where the actual media is stored ie the files that I am trying to reconnect. FCPX thinks that the files are different even though they are exactly the same. Seems like the whole thing might be corrupt...

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jan 10, 2014 at 6:19:39 pm

[adam chesbrough] "I have saved them and that is where the actual media is stored ie the files that I am trying to reconnect. FCPX thinks that the files are different even though they are exactly the same. Seems like the whole thing might be corrupt..."

Try dragging one file from the saved Event to the FCPX Browser.

Does it relink?

Jeremy

Return to posts index

adam chesbrough
on Jan 10, 2014 at 6:36:35 pm

i have tried the following (both with copying to library and leaving the files where they are (which is in the final cut events folder)
1. Dragging to the library. This create a duplicate. Doesn't change anything
2. Using import dialog, this creates a (FCP1) version in the library. I then deleted the alias file and deleted the (FCP1) suffix and the broll reconnected automatically. All interviews did not. BUT final cut gave me a message that says there are three files (the interview ones) that match but are not the same media (which isn't true.
3. I have tried everything else under the sun also, reconnecting from the original media, importing, deleting keywords etc.

There is probably something simple that is staring me in the face here that I am missing but having a hard time figuring it out.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jan 10, 2014 at 6:45:04 pm

Is this media on the OWC raid that you have listed or somewhere else?

Inside of the old Event folder, have you tried moving one piece of media out of the old directory, than relinking to the file from the new directory?

have you tried the "Update Projects and Events" command again and pointed FCPX to the old Events and Projects?

Jeremy

Return to posts index

adam chesbrough
on Jan 23, 2014 at 4:16:34 pm

The solution was to go back into FCPX 10.0.9 and relink all the files there. Then bring it into FCPX 10.1.1 and try it again.

Return to posts index

Ben Winston
on Mar 3, 2014 at 9:52:04 am

Putting the shortcut in the sidebar works for me! Next project, all my media is going to be held outside the bundle for sure.

Thanks for the tips folks,

Ben

Return to posts index

Rosa Linda Román
on Mar 27, 2014 at 4:48:45 pm

Putting the folder in the sidebar worked for me too! Thank you for the very helpful tip!

Return to posts index

Ben Ged Low
on Jun 4, 2014 at 12:34:17 am

You are an Ace Mark. Thank you for this. Most helpful. An exasperating issue ... I'm amazed at how you figured this out. Genius. Perhaps they should have your working on the original coding of the app?

All the best,

Ben

Return to posts index

Paul Ren
on Apr 4, 2014 at 5:09:27 pm

The shortcut in the sidebar worked for me, however, a handful of my raw .MOV clips would not relink, giving me this error:

The original file and new file have no shared media range.

Relinked files must have the same media type and similar audio channels as the original files, and must be long enough to cover all the clips that reference the files.

I've done nothing to them and are the raw files right out of the camera.

Any ideas on this any of you above?

Return to posts index

Gary Devlin
on Apr 17, 2015 at 12:56:20 pm

This didn't work any new ideas?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]