FORUMS: list search recent posts

Project Archiving - Any workflows?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bret Williams
Project Archiving - Any workflows?
on Dec 21, 2013 at 5:33:16 pm

Now that we're missing the previous duplicate project function, which would create a new project with just the media USED in the project and a new corresponding event with that media, what is the new archiving method? I've been researching with the new consolidate function, but it actually moves the files and the links to an external folder. And I've discovered after you screw up your event by moving copies of the media to a different location, relinking to the old location is quite the problem. Now that the original media folder is INSIDE a package, you can't relink to the files in the library. And the files it was looking for were from an AVCHD archive. The quick answer there was to reconsolidate back to the library. I'm still wrapping my head around that one. It appeared to relink back to the files that were already in the library. And since files don't have to be in an event anymore (apparently) then modifying event references seems moot. In fact, I think that function is gone. Organize event files is also gone.

So what's the best way to whittle down a copy of a project/event to just the files used and have them in their own library? I have some ideas, but need to test. Maybe I'm missing something obvious? The duplicate project function used to function as a sort of media manager, just without trimming, but it's gone. Duplicating a project now is just like duplicating a sequence in legacy. No dialog. Just an instant copy.

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
Re: Project Archiving - Any workflows?
on Dec 21, 2013 at 5:46:20 pm

Don't panic - I've figured it out. It's rather simple actually. But not necessarily obvious. Perhaps it's in the media management white paper I didn't read! :)

When you're done with a project and wish to consolidate it to a new library with just the media used, simply create a new library, and drag the project into it. You'll see a dialog stating that the media will be copied to the new library along with the project copy. Wonderful! But external links will reman external. Well that used to happen with duplicate project and we'd then use the "organize event files" function on the resulting event. Well, the organize function is gone. But if you right click on the resulting library, and choose consolidate library files, it'll perform the same function. All the aliases in the new event will be swapped out for copies.

Trimming would still be an appreciated addition.

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Dec 21, 2013 at 6:17:15 pm

Just to add to my findings, the new media management isn't only just as good as previously, but it has an added benefit that I find to be extremely beneficial.

I had a previous job(can't use the word project, that would be confusing) that I essentially wasn't able to archive as just the used files. It had one event, but that one event was used to create over 100 different projects. Each was as simple as a single shot, or a piece of trimmed audio. It was basically for creating the assets for a multimedia project. So lots of short 5 shot dramatic role plays, or even just voice overs. But in the end, if your output is more than a single project, then there was no way to duplicate all the projects and delete unused media. You'd end up with 100 separate events and projects with duplicate media across them. So I never really archived it.

BUT NOW- we can create a new library, and drag those 100 projects into it and it will copy over the projects and media used for them. If the media wasn't IN the event folder you'll then have to run a consolidate function on the library to change the externally linked files into copies, just like organize media used to do in previous versions of X. But that's it. All your keywords are retained, and you'll end up with one event which has just the used media, and the project files. Sweet.

Return to posts index

Andy Neil
on Dec 21, 2013 at 6:41:10 pm

But just to be clear, Bret. FCPX still doesn't trim assets to only the used amounts in a project right? It will still copy the entire 10 min clip even if you only use a 3 sec shot of it?

Andy

http://www.timesavertutorials.com

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Dec 21, 2013 at 6:49:44 pm

Yep. I thought I mentioned that somewhere in my rambling. But the ability to be able to media manage multiple sequences at once is a welcome addition for sure.

I think the new premiere media management is hampered by this same problem for certain types of media as well. Everyone keeps heralding Premiere and until last week, it had zero media management from my understanding.

The lack of trimming is probably due to the ability to use native non-qt, long GOP media. It would have to be a transcode function in there too. Not just a copy function because you can't just copy a portion of certain formats.

Return to posts index

Craig Alan
on Dec 21, 2013 at 7:25:23 pm

Great thread, Bret. Like the old saying, the first step in finding a solution is asking the right question. Quick question, can't you use the blade tool to create trimmed versions of the clips you want to save in their own library or am I missing the purpose of a trimmed collection. Forgive the newbie question but when our lab gets set up I'm going to be dealing with all these issues and I've got a lot to learn.

Mac Pro, macbook pro, Imacs (i7); Camcorders: Panasonic AG-HPX170/AG-HPX250P, Canon HV30/40, Sony Z7U, VX2000, PD170; FCP 6 certified; write professionally for a variety of media; teach video production in L.A.

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Dec 21, 2013 at 8:05:00 pm

Trimming a clip in a sequence doesn't trim it on the hard drive. I'm referring to X's lack of true media management. Where, after finishing a job, you would create a consolidated backup/archive consisting just the media used. So if you only used 3 seconds of a 1 hour file, the backup only consists of a new media file consisting of those 3 seconds. Plus user defined handles. As it stands, you can create a new library consisting of just the files used, but the entire files. Not trimmed.

Return to posts index

Craig Alan
on Dec 22, 2013 at 2:24:01 am

got it. Thanks again. That would be useful and have a small footprint.

Mac Pro, macbook pro, Imacs (i7); Camcorders: Panasonic AG-HPX170/AG-HPX250P, Canon HV30/40, Sony Z7U, VX2000, PD170; FCP 6 certified; write professionally for a variety of media; teach video production in L.A.

Return to posts index

Claude Lyneis
on Dec 21, 2013 at 8:05:33 pm

Hmmm. So we go from multiple projects to multiple libraries? This will take some thought. Somehow, I wasn't really paying attention and didn't realize what a major change was in store with 10.1. The Duplicate function has moved under the Edit function and does make a copy, but doesn't give a choice as to where it goes. It just stuffs it into the existing "project". Move seems to has disappeared as well.

I look forward to more workflows from those on the bleeding edge.

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Dec 21, 2013 at 10:29:04 pm

Yes. It's a normal duplicate sequence function now.

Return to posts index

Andy Neil
on Dec 21, 2013 at 8:13:15 pm

[Bret Williams] "The lack of trimming is probably due to the ability to use native non-qt, long GOP media. It would have to be a transcode function in there too. Not just a copy function because you can't just copy a portion of certain formats."

What would be cool is a "decompose" function similar to what Avid has. Select a project, and create an offline version of the project with only the media used, but all offline. Then you could just reimport the partial clips as you can do in the import dialogue.

Andy

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Dec 21, 2013 at 10:30:14 pm

We used to have that with the media manager.

Return to posts index

Andy Neil
on Dec 21, 2013 at 11:10:08 pm

You mean with FCP 7? Because we've never had that with X.

Andy

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Dec 21, 2013 at 11:11:26 pm

Yes. No Media Manager in X!

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Dec 21, 2013 at 11:48:11 pm

What I don't like about either decompose or consolidation method is that I'm left with JUST the media and logs for the clips that were used. In legacy, I usually didn't use the media manager, I just did a find unused media command on the sequence, and legacy would find all the unused media and I'd make them offline. So I didn't care much about trimming and handles. But I wanted to lose the clips that weren't used, but retain their logging data. I'd like to do that in X, but I haven't found a way.

Return to posts index

Eugeny Korkhin
on Dec 24, 2013 at 10:17:42 am

[Bret Williams] "I didn't care much about trimming and handles. But I wanted to lose the clips that weren't used, but retain their logging data."

Here is how you can do it (before 10.1):
1) Duplicate Project for safety and close FCP
2) Hide original project and event
4) Copy original CurrentVersion.fcpevent file, paste into new folder in "Final Cut Events" and launch FCP
5) Make sure project is associated with that new offline event and do Relink Project files

That's it. You now have only used media in "Original Media" folder, but event contains all the info you had logged.

Hope that helps.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]