FORUMS: list search recent posts

10.1 and sparse images

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Craig Alan
10.1 and sparse images
on Dec 19, 2013 at 8:28:33 pm

I will be managing a lab for editing with many students sharing the same computer and raid.
I need to mount and unmount sparse images in order for each student to have access to his/her files and only his/her files.

Is this still possible with the new media management of 10.1?

Below Tim Jones mentioned that when updating FCP prompts you to mount all sparse images.

Mac Pro, macbook pro, Imacs (i7); Camcorders: Panasonic AG-HPX170/AG-HPX250P, Canon HV30/40, Sony Z7U, VX2000, PD170; FCP 6 certified; write professionally for a variety of media; teach video production in L.A.

Return to posts index

James Cude
Re: 10.1 and sparse images
on Dec 19, 2013 at 8:43:49 pm

Wouldn't giving each student his or her own Library make more sense?

Return to posts index

Brett Sherman
on Dec 19, 2013 at 8:56:58 pm

It should work fine with Sparse Bundles. It looks to me like the only limitation is that you can't use materials on another Sparse Bundle without FCP X copying it into the one where your project resides.

Return to posts index

Craig Alan
on Dec 19, 2013 at 11:22:49 pm

I need to have students have no access to other student's work. This is not an issue of organization.

Mac Pro, macbook pro, Imacs (i7); Camcorders: Panasonic AG-HPX170/AG-HPX250P, Canon HV30/40, Sony Z7U, VX2000, PD170; FCP 6 certified; write professionally for a variety of media; teach video production in L.A.

Return to posts index

Jeff Kirkland
on Dec 19, 2013 at 9:26:04 pm

I would think that using a library per student would be the better option although there's no reason that the sparse bundles won't work once they're updated. You'd just have a library in each sparse bundle.

The only advantage to sparse bundles would be if you had them password protected.

Jeff Kirkland | Video Producer | Southern Creative Media | Melbourne Australia
http://www.southerncreative.com.au | G+: http://gplus.to/jeffkirkland | Twitter: @jeffkirkland

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Dec 19, 2013 at 11:03:27 pm

you don't need sparse disk images, and you didn't need them in the version befor FCP X 10.1. You just enable NFS on your server, and now "Add SAN Location" just works (like it does on XSAN) - no need for sparse disk images.

I have not tried 10.1, so I have no opinions on the new release, or how it works.

Bob Zelin

Bob Zelin
Rescue 1, Inc.
maxavid@cfl.rr.com

Return to posts index

Craig Alan
on Dec 19, 2013 at 11:39:27 pm

We do not have our media on central server. Each computer will be connected to its own raid. Each Imac/raid will have multiple users throughout the week. I need each student to only have access to his/her work and no one else's. I do not want to mange over 200 passwords and accounts. I want to control what media they have access to in an easy flexible way. I'm not saying a properly networked system wouldn't work better, but I have no experience setting it up.

I did do experiments with the current plan and with 10.7 and FCP X 10.0x I did not find any problems working with the app or any way for the simple finder account to access the unmounted sparse images. It was also a neat container for each project, easy to clone, easy to move, easy to delete.

Again I'm sure a properly networked system would be better. So I am not arguing my way is better. It is just a way I know how to solve the problem of protecting each student's work.

Return to posts index

Craig Alan
on Dec 19, 2013 at 11:25:55 pm

I tried password protecting sparse images but it took forever to have the protection apply and file sizes have become too large for that. BUT with a simple finder account students cannot mount an unmounted drive. So as the admin I can control what they have access to. And because of this I only need one other account than mine. A student account with a simple finder.

Return to posts index

Jeff Kirkland
on Dec 19, 2013 at 11:28:07 pm

In that case you're probably better working with libraries inside the sparse bundles as the new libraries will be seen as packages rather than hard drives so your system wouldn't work.

http://www.southerncreative.com.au | G+: http://gplus.to/jeffkirkland | Twitter: @jeffkirkland

Return to posts index

Craig Alan
on Dec 19, 2013 at 11:46:32 pm

What I have now is sets of FCP project and event folders inside each sparse image with all related files for each project. I'm not using the sparse images as just containers for referenced media.

So wouldn't using the new library system inside images work the same way? Unless FC insists on having access to any image on any connected physical drive.

Return to posts index

Jeff Kirkland
on Dec 19, 2013 at 11:58:33 pm

What you said is pretty much what I was meaning :-)

The new library structure is pretty much the oppositie of past functionality. The libraries can exist anywhere on the hard drive and only the libraries you open show up. You can also launch FCPX with a particular library open and ready to go by double clicking on the library.

Libraries can also be closed without having to shut down FCPX.

Return to posts index

Craig Alan
on Dec 20, 2013 at 1:30:22 am

interesting. no more root level only. no more only one container per drive. So you have to open a library either in the finder or within FC?

One thing that bugs me about this is that media within a library is less accessible on the finder and multi-app level. For example, sometimes I just like to open a piece of media in QT or just in the finder's preview - you know highlight it and press the space bar. Or copy a a still and open the copy in a photo app or attach it to an email. Larry Jordan suggested that although you can open a FC library's contents, he strongly advises against it.

Return to posts index

Charlie Austin
on Dec 20, 2013 at 1:41:24 am

[Craig Alan] "interesting. no more root level only. no more only one container per drive. So you have to open a library either in the finder or within FC?"

Pretty simple really. In your scenario you'd just have a Library on the Sparse image instead to the old P/E folder pair. It'd work the same way, mount image, double click or open the Library on it from the FCP X file menu. Work. Close library, unmount image.

If you choose "Update All" in X with an Image mounted, it'll create the Library on that image, just moves the media no copying. You could update multiple images at once if you want, everything mounted will update with "Update All", or do 'em individually with "Locate". Easy...

[Craig Alan] "Larry Jordan suggested that although you can open a FC library's contents, he strongly advises against it."

It's really no different than mucking around in an Event Folder, just don't change anything. Previewing images, clips shouldn't cause any more problem than it could have before.

-------------------------------------------------------------

~ My FCPX Babbling blog ~
~"It is a poor craftsman who blames his tools."~
~"The function you just attempted is not yet implemented"~

Return to posts index

Jeff Kirkland
on Dec 20, 2013 at 2:28:28 am

Media no longer has to reside inside a library. You can organise media into and out of a library to any folder on the hard drive. The import media panel also gives you the option of copying the media to an external folder rather than into the chosen library.

Return to posts index

Charlie Austin
on Dec 20, 2013 at 2:33:16 am

[Jeff Kirkland] "Media no longer has to reside inside a library. You can organise media into and out of a library to any folder on the hard drive. The import media panel also gives you the option of copying the media to an external folder rather than into the chosen library."

True... sounds like he wants the media to reside with it on each disk though?. You could easily consolidate it outside the Library to a "regular" folder on the Sparse image though. Best of both worlds. :-)

Return to posts index

Jeff Kirkland
on Dec 20, 2013 at 2:39:55 am

He was saying that he wished media could just reside outside the library which it can in a completely supported way in the new version.

Return to posts index

Charlie Austin
on Dec 20, 2013 at 2:44:30 am

[Jeff Kirkland] "He was saying that he wished media could just reside outside the library which it can in a completely supported way in the new version"

True, though it always could. I've been using linked media forever. You just had to ingest externally then import to X. What's new is the ability to ingest to an external location from within FCP X. That's pretty nice. :-)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]