FORUMS: list search recent posts

FCP 10.1 - Are media management and reimport improved?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tangier Clarke
FCP 10.1 - Are media management and reimport improved?
on Dec 19, 2013 at 4:50:07 pm

For those of you have have updated and/or have been using it already before the release can we now:

- media manage whereas FCP only takes the portions of clips that it needs?
- reimport from a folder as a camera reel rather than being forced to create a camera archive first?

Tangier

Return to posts index

Tim Jones
Re: FCP 10.1 - Are media management and reimport improved?
on Dec 19, 2013 at 5:45:06 pm

Final Cut Events and Final Cut Projects are now stored in a bundle folder named:

Volume Name's projects and events

For example, on a storage array named "Black Box", the bundle would be named:

Black Box's projects and events

It also gets a new and highly visible icon.

When you first run 10.1, it converts your existing folders on all volumes (and in my case, prompted me to mount some unmounted sparse image files). Once converted, FCP X prompts to either move the old folders to the Trash or save them. If you elect to save them, the folders are combined into a folder on each volume named "Volume Name Old Finale Cut Projects and Events".

Otherwise, it appears that the access and management within FCP X is the same. I'll know more as I import new clips.

Tim
--
Tim Jones
CTO - TOLIS Group, Inc.
http://www.productionbackup.com
BRU ... because it's the RESTORE that matters!

Return to posts index

Tangier Clarke
on Dec 19, 2013 at 5:51:55 pm

This isn't what I am asking, but thanks anyway. I read many of the changes and features. What I don't know yet though is in the process of archiving (duplicate project with used clips) is FCP 10.1 able truncate media now. As for the process of reimporting, can FCP now reimport from a folder as a reel rather than being forced to create a camera archive first; this being very time consuming on large shoots.

Consider this - after a project is complete we only backup the final Quicktimes and media we didn't shoot because we've already backed up the raw camera cards to folders as unique reels on backup and cloned drives. So to rebuild a project currently we have to reimport the media from our camera reel folders.

Problem is, with the 10.0.x model, duplicating a project with clips still keeps the entire clip even if only a portion was used in the edit. This is horrible for backing up large projects with media we don't need; hence why we only archive content we didn't shoot or don't have the camera original backed up.

Tangier

Return to posts index

Tim Jones
on Dec 19, 2013 at 8:10:12 pm

Here's a bit more info .

fcp-10-1-day-1-tips-for-updating

I doubt that you'll ever be able to do sub clip level backups from FCP X without first rendering the actual sub clips simply because with the exception of MXF and, I believe, AVCHD, you need the entire clip to be able to access it.

However, if you are a BRU PE user, PE 3.1 (coming in January) will perform backups (and restores) using an FCPXML export so that ONLY the clips used are included in the archive container. Remember, LTO tape is relatively inexpensive (~$70 for 2.5TB) and doesn't interfere with your other workflow storage models while keeping your assets available just in case.

Blatant plug video:

BRU PE 3.1 FCPXML and FCP X environment handling.

Tim
--
Tim Jones
CTO - TOLIS Group, Inc.
http://www.productionbackup.com
BRU ... because it's the RESTORE that matters!

Return to posts index

Mark Spencer
on Dec 24, 2013 at 5:07:18 am

No, you can't trim your clips to just the used portion.

--
Mark Spencer
Freelance Producer/Editor/Motion Graphics Artist
Apple-certified Master Trainer
Author, Motion 4 from Peachpit Press
http://www.applemotion.net

Return to posts index

giacinto sirbo
on Jan 14, 2014 at 9:21:17 am

".............Problem is, with the 10.0.x model, duplicating a project with clips still keeps the entire clip even if only a portion was used in the edit. This is horrible for backing up large projects with media we don't need; hence why we only archive content we didn't shoot or don't have the camera original backed up......"

This feature is very important for me....i hope for next update !!!!!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]