FORUMS: list search recent posts

7 to X, overseas, without transferring media

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Chad Greene
7 to X, overseas, without transferring media
on Dec 18, 2013 at 4:45:08 pm

I have a dilemma. I prepped a 4 hour multicam project in FCP7 and shipped it to an offline editor in Spain. After some technical issues on his end, we have decided to move the project into FCPX.

How would you move the multicam project into X without having to ship the media again AND so he can email me his online edit for finishing here.

If we both imported the 7 project into X would he be able to send me an XML and have it link up here? Am I asking an easy thing or a hard thing?

Chad Greene Mahoney Media Group Minneapolis, Minnesota 2x2.66 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon, 12GB Ram, OS 10.6 FCP 7, Kona-LHi

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
Re: 7 to X, overseas, without transferring media
on Dec 18, 2013 at 5:01:54 pm

As long as you both have the same media, simply send the Project and Event files.

How did you move the project to X?

Return to posts index

Chad Greene
on Dec 18, 2013 at 5:09:32 pm

Jeremy, so far we have not moved the project to X. That is the part I need clarification on.

It was built in 7, I sent it to him organized for 7, and now we need to move it to X without resending anything, and with the ability to share edits.

Chad Greene Mahoney Media Group Minneapolis, Minnesota 2x2.66 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon, 12GB Ram, OS 10.6 FCP 7, Kona-LHi

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Dec 18, 2013 at 5:41:10 pm

I see.

What is the source material? Is it all .mov right now?

If so, the best way to go about this is to export an XML of your entire FCP7 project (that is with project tab open but nothing selected in the project) and use the 7toX App to translate it.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/7tox-for-final-cut-pro/id496926258?mt=12

You then import the FCPXML to FCPX. There will be some clean up that needs to happen, and then from there, you can swap Event/Project databases.

You will also need to include any custom templates if you are using any of those.

Are you familiar with FCPX at all or will this be your first experience?

Return to posts index

Chad Greene
on Dec 18, 2013 at 6:01:07 pm

I have cut three projects in FCPX – about 60 hours total. However, my offline editor has never touched it so I need to keep things simple.

The media is all HDV exports. Originally I used PluralEyes to sync the five cameras, then exported each back out as five clean Quicktimes.

What would happen if we started from scratch...each importing these files on our own continents. Could I rebuild the multiclips, then send him my databases for editing? If we each imported the media, would my project link up to his media?

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Dec 18, 2013 at 6:04:23 pm

[Chad Greene] "What would happen if we started from scratch...each importing these files on our own continents. Could I rebuild the multiclips, then send him my databases for editing? If we each imported the media, would my project link up to his media?"

I would have you make the Event and any multiclips so you know that they are correct, then send him the Events/projects.

He relinks on his side as long as you are using the same media you sent the first time.

Make sense?

Return to posts index

Chad Greene
on Dec 18, 2013 at 6:15:29 pm

So the offline editor wouldn't need to import anything? What about proxies and such?

When I send the Event/Projects databases I am assuming they are quite small? He lives on a mountain and has really slow internet.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Dec 18, 2013 at 6:23:32 pm

[Chad Greene] "So the offline editor wouldn't need to import anything? What about proxies and such? "

Well, yes, you'd need to import the media to create the organization and multiclips, but as long as you and Spain are starting from the same media pool, you or he can reconnect. Try it on multiple machines/hard drives in your place first. You'll see its not very hard.

Or, have Spain start the edit, then he sends over the final Project for finishing.

Proxies will be fine as long as you are starting from the same media pool and you use FCPX to generate the Proxies.

[Chad Greene] "When I send the Event/Projects databases I am assuming they are quite small? He lives on a mountain and has really slow internet."

They are reasonably small, yes. Sounds like a rough place to edit. ;)

You will probably only need to swap Events in the beginning. After that, you'd be able to swap Projects.

You should duplicate the Project and send the dupe. This will prevent ID conflicts. This explains it pretty well:

If you DON'T have the same media pool, things will be more tricky.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Chad Greene
on Dec 18, 2013 at 6:58:29 pm

[Jeremy Garchow] "You should duplicate the Project and send the dupe. This will prevent ID conflicts."

I really don't want to resend the event media to him. It took forever to get there and involved bribing. I will have to do some testing with relinking to Finder Copied media. I am hoping he can relink to the original exports even though they have different IDs.

Thanks for your help Jeremy.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Dec 18, 2013 at 7:07:09 pm

[Chad Greene] "I really don't want to resend the event media to him."

It's just the Project that has the ID NOT the media.

This is how it goes.

He starts an Event and Project. He sends you that Event and Project (which is a small file).

He then does some further editing on that same Project (without duplicating).

If he then sent you that Project and you try and open it, FCPX would balk as the projects have the same ID and will conflict.

What he needs to do is Duplicate the Project, and choose the "Duplicate Project Only", which makes a copy of the Project database with no media, and he names it something like "ProjectName_SentToChad".

You then download the Project and put it in the proper place (inside a Folder called "ProjectName_SentToChad" the Final Cut Projects folder on your Hard drive).

This is similar to sending a Final Cut 7 project file, but with the needed FCPX file structures.

There's no media involved.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Chad Greene
on Dec 18, 2013 at 7:13:34 pm

[Jeremy Garchow] "It's just the Project that has the ID NOT the media."

Ah that is much better. Cool I think we can handle that.

[Jeremy Garchow] "He starts an Event and Project. He sends you that Event and Project"

Does Spain have to start the project and event or can I start those and prep everything since he doesn't have any experience?

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Dec 18, 2013 at 7:17:26 pm

[Chad Greene] "Does Spain have to start the project and event or can I start those and prep everything since he doesn't have any experience?"

Of course.

I mentioned that here: http://forums.creativecow.net/thread/344/26001#26010

It doesn't matter who starts it, as long as you have the same media that is .mov, you'll be fine.

It sounds like you have 5 multiclip HDV .movs. As long as you both have those, you're good.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Charlie Austin
on Dec 18, 2013 at 9:37:50 pm

For what it's worth, since you haven't started yet, and assuming FCP 10 point-whatever-they-call-it will be out soon (which maybe it won't, only Apple knows that)) I'd wait for the update. I have a feeling it will make sharing easier. If it's a time crunch, and it doesn't appear tomorrow with the Mac Pro, then just start with the current version. My 2 cents....

-------------------------------------------------------------

~ My FCPX Babbling blog ~
~"It is a poor craftsman who blames his tools."~
~"The function you just attempted is not yet implemented"~

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]