FORUMS: list search recent posts

Some more Qs about X getting into my 6th project with it

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Sascha Engel
Some more Qs about X getting into my 6th project with it
on Dec 17, 2013 at 5:02:54 pm

Hi Everybody,

Just into my 6th project on the new X. First Multi Cam Edit.
During the work some Qs came up, which I hope, the wizzards of COW know the answer to:

1. If I have several Instances in the Color Tab, can I name those other than the given names (Color 1,2,3,4 and so on). When I have many of them, it's really hard to remember which is which.

2. If I created a grade, which e.g. consists of many color instances plus e.g. a Look Effect Grade, is there a way to switch all on and off at the same time, like in DaVinci? Or I have to really switch each single effect on/off one by one?

3. Can I save a preset of color instance I created? Like in DaVinci when you Grab a Still.

4. I know, that I can delete an effect from a clip, or to copy one, but can I also cut an effect from a clip and paste onto another one. When I tried, it cut out the whole clip, not only the effect.

5. How do I finalise / collapse a MultiClip sequence in X? In 7, there was a command, that did that - then all the MulitClip was replaced with the source clips from the different angles.

Thanx for removing any of those 5 Q-marks from my head.

Great evening to you all.

Greetz,

Sascha Engel
TIME BANDITZ Productions
http://www.youtube.com/taikang

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
Re: Some more Qs about X getting into my 6th project with it
on Dec 17, 2013 at 6:02:42 pm

[Sascha Engel] "1. If I have several Instances in the Color Tab, can I name those other than the given names (Color 1,2,3,4 and so on). When I have many of them, it's really hard to remember which is which."

Unforunately, no.

[Sascha Engel] "2. If I created a grade, which e.g. consists of many color instances plus e.g. a Look Effect Grade, is there a way to switch all on and off at the same time, like in DaVinci? Or I have to really switch each single effect on/off one by one?"

Sort of, but not really.

You can turn off all Color Board corrections at once by turning off the "Color" effect. Any other effects are 1x1.

[Sascha Engel] "3. Can I save a preset of color instance I created? Like in DaVinci when you Grab a Still."

The Color Board has saveable presets. The are located on the bottom right corner just underneath the color board controls.

[Sascha Engel] "4. I know, that I can delete an effect from a clip, or to copy one, but can I also cut an effect from a clip and paste onto another one. When I tried, it cut out the whole clip, not only the effect."

No.

[Sascha Engel] "5. How do I finalise / collapse a MultiClip sequence in X? In 7, there was a command, that did that - then all the MulitClip was replaced with the source clips from the different angles."

No finalization in FCPX 10.0.9. or below.

Sorry, for all the bad news.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Dave Gage
on Dec 17, 2013 at 6:15:02 pm

[Jeremy Garchow] "[Sascha Engel] "2. If I created a grade, which e.g. consists of many color instances plus e.g. a Look Effect Grade, is there a way to switch all on and off at the same time, like in DaVinci? Or I have to really switch each single effect on/off one by one?"

Sort of, but not really.

You can turn off all Color Board corrections at once by turning off the "Color" effect. Any other effects are 1x1."

Would this be possible if you originally started color correction via an Adjustment Layer?

Dave

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Dec 17, 2013 at 6:19:53 pm

[Dave Gage] "Would this be possible if you originally started color correction via an Adjustment Layer?"

Good call and yes. You would then just disable the layer.

Return to posts index

Sascha Engel
on Dec 17, 2013 at 7:01:35 pm

Thanx Jeremy.
That makes my "features to ad to upgrade from FCX to FCPX" ;-)

If I cannot finalise a Multi cam shooting, and I export an XML, will that XML open in davinci and fcp7 as timeline with one collapsed track with Thed edited clips?

Sascha Engel
TIME BANDITZ Productions

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Dec 17, 2013 at 7:03:09 pm

[Sascha Engel] "If I cannot finalise a Multi cam shooting, and I export an XML, will that XML open in davinci and fcp7 as timeline with one collapsed track with Thed edited clips?"

It should, yes, but it's not guaranteed. You should use Resolve10.

Xto7 can also "flatten" the timeline to FCP7/Resolve.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Sascha Engel
on Dec 17, 2013 at 7:07:26 pm

But if I do the CC in FCPX, will an added grade only be restricted to that particular section on the TL, or - like I DaVinci - will automatically grad the whole source clip?

Sascha Engel
TIME BANDITZ Productions

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Dec 17, 2013 at 7:12:02 pm

[Sascha Engel] "But if I do the CC in FCPX, will an added grade only be restricted to that particular section on the TL, or - like I DaVinci - will automatically grad the whole source clip?"

You can grade a multicam clip in the angle editor, and that ripples down to all the clips in the timeline.

Once flattened, it will be single instance.

Is that what you mean?

Return to posts index

Sascha Engel
on Dec 17, 2013 at 7:15:20 pm

The opposite: I don't want that to happen.

Sascha Engel
TIME BANDITZ Productions

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Dec 17, 2013 at 7:21:51 pm

I see. Then don't grade in the angle editor.

If a multiclip is in a timeline, you can grade each slice separately.

Return to posts index

Sascha Engel
on Dec 17, 2013 at 10:33:34 pm

That's good news. Thanx.
Even though some of your other answers before are bad news .
I really hope, they gonna fix some of this in the next release.

Have a great day.

Sascha Engel
TIME BANDITZ Productions

Return to posts index

James Sullivan
on Dec 18, 2013 at 3:54:29 pm

I figured out how to toggle all your color corrections the other day. There is a keyboard shortcut for it that you can map. Do a search for "toggle' and the following shows up "Color board Toggle correction on/off"

Super useful. Hopefully in the .1 update they will address the rest of your list. I did my first multi-cam edit the other day and was surprised as well that I could not consolidate a multi cam sequence.

Merry christmas,

James

Return to posts index

Sascha Engel
on Dec 19, 2013 at 6:48:09 am

Wow, great. Thanx so much. I'll check it right away.
Nice to hear I was not the only one puzzled about the missing consolidation feature.
Yes, some points of my list would be nice.
Basically, X is really getting there and when it addresses those inconveniences, then it's gonna blow the other NLEs
Out of the water. And that statement coming from somebody who hated FCPX in the beginning, to death.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]