FORUMS: list search recent posts

Lazy way of grading

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
James Ewart
Lazy way of grading
on Dec 17, 2013 at 8:00:19 am

Hi I've cut a 15 minute pilot of a chef, shot with two cameras.

Lots of cuts.

I would like to match grade all of B roll cam to match A roll cam.

Is there some kind of time saving way I can do this in the angle editor (or somewhere) to save me the trouble of having to go through it all shot by shot?

Any helpful tips will be especially welcome at this Festive time of year.

http://www.jamesewart.co.uk

Return to posts index

Jeff Kirkland
Re: Lazy way of grading
on Dec 17, 2013 at 8:40:37 am

If you've cut it as a multicam you can grade in the angle editor and the grade will appear downstream in your edit.

Otherwise it's not much more effort to get one b-roll cut looking right then copy/paste it to the others. Select the rest of the b-roll by doing a search, then paste.

~ jeff k

Jeff Kirkland | Video Producer | Southern Creative Media | Melbourne Australia
http://www.southerncreative.com.au | G+: http://gplus.to/jeffkirkland | Twitter: @jeffkirkland

Return to posts index

James Ewart
on Dec 17, 2013 at 9:18:06 am
Last Edited By James Ewart on Dec 17, 2013 at 9:19:12 am

Thanks for this. Can you match colour in the angle editor in the same way?

Congratulations on the Ashes. Not much of a contest. More of a Roman "Christians and Lions" kind of affair. Entertaining in a more sadistic kind of way.

Absolutely piss poor performance by England to not even stand up and be counted and try and save some dignity. Total capitulation. Embarrassing.

Return to posts index

Don Smith
on Dec 17, 2013 at 10:37:53 am

Don't forget about using an adjustment layer.

To create an Adjustment layer start a new Text project in Motion. Delete the text layer leaving only the Effects Source.

Save it as 'Adjustment Layer'.

It'll show up in the Text tab in Final Cut Pro X.

Apply it above everything for the whole length of the project (or whatever length you need) and color correct the adjustment layer. If you've segmented your Adjustment Layer, trying highlighting the one that's done to your satisfaction and copy it. Then highlight the other(s) and press Option-Command-V to paste the correction.

Don Smith

NewsVideo.com

Return to posts index

Don Smith
on Dec 17, 2013 at 10:41:26 am

Thinking further about the Adjustment Layer (beyond my previous post) I think you can Match the color of the clip you like and apply it to the Adjustment Layer (it says here.. I don't have X open before me).

Don Smith

NewsVideo.com

Return to posts index

James Ewart
on Dec 17, 2013 at 12:19:18 pm

Thanks

I keep forgtting about adjustment layers.

In this instance it would have to be just places above all the B Roll cuts.

Did I forget to mention I cut it in Multicam mode?

Return to posts index

Don Smith
on Dec 17, 2013 at 12:23:56 pm

I would think it would work over the finished multi cam edit, though I don't have X open to test that. That is, unless you need different grades on different cuts which, by the wording of your request, you don't.

You just don't want to put an Adjustment Layer above any titles lest you affect those as well. Unless its desired.

Don Smith

NewsVideo.com

Return to posts index

James Ewart
on Dec 17, 2013 at 12:24:39 pm

Thanks for the advice all much appreciated.

Return to posts index

David Eaks
on Dec 17, 2013 at 12:40:31 pm

I think you would be much better off doing it in the angle editor. Placing an adjustment layer perfectly to the frame over only all your b-roll cuts in the timeline sounds unnecessarily tedious, not to mention the unneeded clutter added to the timeline.

Just get one clip in the angle with the b-roll camera looking good and paste the color to the rest. When you go back to the timeline all the b-roll clips will be updated with your changes. You can go back and make further refinements in the angle editor at any time. Much better workflow IMO.

Not the adjustment layers aren't a good tool, just that I think they are the exact opposite of what you need in this case- An effect applied to only specific clips, when adjustment layers excel at applying an effect across multiple items, regardless of the cuts between them.

FWIW

Return to posts index

David Eaks
on Dec 17, 2013 at 10:48:28 am

You can use match color in the angle editor. If it doesn't match well, like if trying to match the color of a mid shot to the color of a close up, try scaling up the mid shot so it's framing or overall color is similar. Then match color and reset the scale parameter.

I've found this to work pretty well on a few occasions.

You can also blade the angles (preferably in a spot you know the edit will be on another angle) and easily do match color to different scenes, if needed.

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Dec 17, 2013 at 4:09:30 pm

The free grading tutorials at ccolorgradingcentral.com are great and offer a similar idea for setting exposure. Crop in on the face or other object of focus and expose them accordingly and to match. From there adjust your highs and lows. Then you can adjust saturation and hue.

I find the color board to be a great tool, combined with multiple instances of a color effect and keyframes masks. But mask tracking would make it really worth doing. A roundtrip system like premiere has with speed grade and the lumetri effect would be pretty welcome as well, but I don't see that happening any time soon. Alex4D has pointed out the new color data in FCPXML in the new iMovie though...

Return to posts index

James Ewart
on Dec 17, 2013 at 4:10:42 pm

Thanks I'll check that out.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]