FORUMS: list search recent posts

Media Management Best Practices

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Dustin Bowser
Media Management Best Practices
on Dec 12, 2013 at 2:32:51 am

Hey guys,

This is something that has caused many hiccups many times, so I figured I'd post about it specifically to see if anyone has any thoughts or suggestions.

I have a feature film project, shot on a 5D MKIII with separate audio. All of the footage exists in folders specific to the scenes, along with the audio. I want this folder separate of the Final Cut Events proprietary folders.

In FCPX, I've got all my footage brought into their respective events, and I have 'Copy Media to FCP Directory' set to off, so the footage is sourced from it's location in MY folders.

Since the footage is H264, I had FCPX generate the ProRes 422 Optimized Media and ProRes Proxy Media, which now reside in the Event folders respectively.

What I'm not understanding, is that every time I try and split off an Event onto a separate drive, it never brings along all of the needed data with it, so I pull up the drive on my remote machine and discover that there is a bunch of stuff online, though I specifically had it copy the media during the Event and Project Duplication process.

For example..currently I have a project that has ALL of the clips in the Proxy Media Folder AND the High Quality Media Folder, and yet when I toggle off Proxy mode so that it will use my Higher Rez Optimized clips, all of the footage is offline because the "original" media, the H264 media that I don't even need to edit with, isn't on this machine.

Can someone please elucidate something of a best practice for this necessity of media management.

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
Re: Media Management Best Practices
on Dec 12, 2013 at 3:39:43 am

Usually, You need to use the "Organize" function on fcpx. This will bring all the media in to the copied Event.

How did you "split off" the Event?

Return to posts index

Claude Lyneis
on Dec 12, 2013 at 5:53:42 am

So if you import clips with create optimized media checked, FCPX generates Pro Res files and puts them in the event folder? If clips are loaded into an event without create optimized media checked and then FCPX renders them once they are in the time line, they end up as High Quality media and are stored in the Project folder? So if you are selective with what goes in the timeline, then there should be less time spent encoding all those clips, since many many may remain unused. Or am I over thinking this?

Return to posts index

Mike Cohen
on Dec 12, 2013 at 6:07:34 am

It seems Projects are always stored in the Mac HD movies folder, whereas events can be saved wherever you want such as with the media on an external drive. When you make a project it is associated with an event.
This whole nomenclature is a divergence from traditional NLEs of the past 15 years and takes some time to wrap your head around.
Mike Cohen

Return to posts index

Claude Lyneis
on Dec 12, 2013 at 6:11:24 am

If you make a new project from the project library and have an external hard disk selected, that is where the project is stored. I store projects and events together on the same external hard drive.

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Dec 12, 2013 at 1:03:13 pm

As you should since any render files are associated with the project file location, and would be subject to the same playback demands on drive speed and throughput as the original. Not to mention the amount of space all those renders can take. It's unfortunate though, because if the project and event are on the same drive they can both be lost with a drive failure.

Return to posts index

Charlie Austin
on Dec 12, 2013 at 5:46:13 pm

[Mike Cohen] "and takes some time to wrap your head around."

if the rumor mill is correct, the current FCPX Project/Event madness might change Of course, the rumor mill may be incorrect. :-(

-------------------------------------------------------------

~ My FCPX Babbling blog ~
~"It is a poor craftsman who blames his tools."~
~"The function you just attempted is not yet implemented"~

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Dec 12, 2013 at 5:56:15 pm

[Claude Lyneis] "So if you import clips with create optimized media checked, FCPX generates Pro Res files and puts them in the event folder?"

That is correct.

if you had the "Copy File to Final Cut Events" option checked, a copy of the .mov move gets added to the EVENT folder.

If you have footage that needs to be rewrapped (which is basically anything but a .mov), this option will be selected and greyed out, meaning, FCPX will automatically make a .mov copy and place it in the Events folder.

[Claude Lyneis] " If clips are loaded into an event without create optimized media checked and then FCPX renders them once they are in the time line, they end up as High Quality media and are stored in the Project folder?"

High Quality media in the PROJECT folder are only render files of the material in the timeline, nothing more. If you have background rendering turned on, or you manually render the timeline, then the render fiels will get created in the codec you choose when you made the project (which is some flavor of ProRes or Uncompressed 10b). These are not high quality media /movs that are created when you choose to "Optimize Media" in the Event.

[Claude Lyneis] " So if you are selective with what goes in the timeline, then there should be less time spent encoding all those clips, since many many may remain unused. Or am I over thinking this?"

If whatever goes in the timeline needs to be rendered, and only when it is rendered, do "high quality" render files get created.

Make sense?

The Project render files are very similar to FCP7s render files, if you are familiar with FCP7. There are temporary/momentary representations of your media. What is nice about FCPX is that, if you render something, and then you put something else on top of it forcing a re-render, then you decide that wasn't right and delete it, FCPX retains links to the old render files and you don't have to re-render your original work, unlike FCP7 which was a render fest.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Helge Tjelta
on Dec 12, 2013 at 6:49:21 am

Also, check out my app for cleaning/deleting render/High Quality/Proxies etc. files in ONE GO.
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/x-wiper/id761443168?ls=1&mt=12

/Helge

Helge

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]