FORUMS: list search recent posts

fcpx "Original Media" folder

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Steve Tammi
fcpx "Original Media" folder
on Dec 11, 2013 at 5:04:01 am

I am new here and hope this is the right place for this post...

I downloaded the 30 day trial of fcpx a few days ago and am in the process of giving it a solid run so I can determine if it is a good fit for me. I have been watching online tutorials and searching and reading as much as possible so I don't ask too many newbie questions but here is one I haven't found an answer for...

I have a external drive with 5d files, t4i files and audio files from a h4n zoom recorder (about 240GB of data). When I import the files into a new event (created on the same external drive as the media files) the "Original Media" folder in finder contains a pile of files that are also about 240GB in size thus doubling the used disk space. "Copy files to Final Cut Events folder" is not selected.

Is this normal behavior to double the disk space used? In my mind I thought fcpx would create linked files or pointers or something to the original media files rather than double the disk space.

Hope someone can help me make sense of this.

Thanks,

Steve

Return to posts index

Jeff Kirkland
Re: fcpx "Original Media" folder
on Dec 11, 2013 at 8:09:24 am

If you are sure you unchecked the copy option then no, it's not normal behaviour. Can't think of a reason why it would do that though...

Jeff Kirkland | Video Producer | Southern Creative Media | Melbourne Australia
http://www.southerncreative.com.au | G+: http://gplus.to/jeffkirkland | Twitter: @jeffkirkland

Return to posts index

Jon Cairns
on Dec 11, 2013 at 5:26:43 pm

If your Canon footage is in folders which duplicate the camera card structure then FCP X will duplicate the files on import, regardless of whether or not you've got "Copy files to Final Cut Events" deselected. The workaround for this, while keeping the folder name as a keyword collection, is to drag that folder into the event from the Finder.

Jon

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Dec 11, 2013 at 6:14:09 pm

How bizarre. I always drag directly to a folder I create in the event called camera originals. I usually also create a keyword collection within that folder called Camera 1 or Camera B (or whatever is appropriate) that I drag the media to. Keeps everything nice and tidy and functions just like legacy.

Never has my Canon footage been copied to the event using the drag method. I never tried to use the import command. I only use that command for media that requires it.

Return to posts index

Jon Cairns
on Dec 11, 2013 at 6:25:25 pm

[Bret Williams] "Never has my Canon footage been copied to the event using the drag method. I never tried to use the import command. I only use that command for media that requires it."

Bret,

I believe that we're saying the same thing. If the import command is used FCP will copy that footage to the Event folder. If the folder is dragged into the Event then the original files will be referenced. The behavior of the Import command changed at some point (10.0.8 or 10.0.9?) to always copy, regardless of the preference setting.

Jon

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Dec 11, 2013 at 6:33:07 pm

Yep. Was just agreeing/reiterating. It should copy if you have it set to in your preferences though.

Return to posts index

Steve Tammi
on Dec 11, 2013 at 11:34:54 pm

Brilliant! Never thought about dragging the folders/files to the event guess I missed that in the tuts. Dragging worked great.

Thanks,

Steve

Return to posts index

Helge Tjelta
on Dec 12, 2013 at 6:45:47 am

Hi,

If you need a quick way to delete files not needed check out my app.

http://www.htjelta.com/x-wiper

Ït will delete render/high quality/proxies etc. files from all projects/events, and even hidden stuff… in ONE GO.

Happy cleaning.

/helge

Helge

Return to posts index

Craig Alan
on Dec 14, 2013 at 2:49:41 pm

Just to be clear:

[Jon Cairns] "drag that folder into the event from the Finder.
"

Is this finder folder of camera card folders drag > finder's folder of the Event or
finder folder of camera card folders drag > the event window in FC?

Also what is your practice to back up original content? I used to save my original tapes labeled with project name, date, A or B cam. Could always reimport using FC legacy's project file if the media drive died or got corrupted. With cards that get reformatted in the camera what do you do to back up original media?

Mac Pro, macbook pro, Imacs (i7); Camcorders: Panasonic AG-HPX170/AG-HPX250P, Canon HV30/40, Sony Z7U, VX2000, PD170; FCP 6 certified; write professionally for a variety of media; teach video production in L.A.

Return to posts index

Jon Cairns
on Dec 14, 2013 at 7:21:44 pm

[Craig Alan] "Is this finder folder of camera card folders drag > finder's folder of the Event or
finder folder of camera card folders drag > the event window in FC?"

Drag the finder's folder onto the proper Event in the Event window.

[Craig Alan] "Also what is your practice to back up original content? I used to save my original tapes labeled with project name, date, A or B cam. Could always reimport using FC legacy's project file if the media drive died or got corrupted. With cards that get reformatted in the camera what do you do to back up original media?
"

In my workflow, I offload all media to two different drives. One will be a working drive and the other is a backup drive. Once a project is complete then all the media gets put onto an archive drive which has a cloned backup drive. I virtually never import media from a camera card into FCPX. I'm not saying not to do that, just that this is the system that I use.

jon

Return to posts index

Craig Alan
on Dec 14, 2013 at 9:21:00 pm

Thanks. I've been using sparse bundles for each new film. Using the finder, I start by copying each card into labeled folders. These folders are in the same sparse bundle that contains the event and project folders for that film. Then I have imported those clips using FC's import. I'lll check to see if I am now ending up with three copies of the clips. If so I'll use your method. Like you, when I'm done, I'll clone this sparse image to another drive and depending on how important will have a back up of the archives. I'll delete the sparse image on the media drive when I know I've finished with the film.

The advantage for me is that the sparse bundle contains all media connected to that particular film - original media and edited media. I can copy and move the entire contents easier. But I see the advantage of having the origin media on a different physical drive. The media drive would be less full. If the media drive goes down, you still have original files.

Mac Pro, macbook pro, Imacs (i7); Camcorders: Panasonic AG-HPX170/AG-HPX250P, Canon HV30/40, Sony Z7U, VX2000, PD170; FCP 6 certified; write professionally for a variety of media; teach video production in L.A.

Return to posts index

Jon Cairns
on Dec 15, 2013 at 3:49:55 pm

[Craig Alan] "The advantage for me is that the sparse bundle contains all media connected to that particular film - original media and edited media. I can copy and move the entire contents easier. But I see the advantage of having the origin media on a different physical drive. The media drive would be less full. If the media drive goes down, you still have original files."

It sounds like we work the same way, only I don't use the sparse bundle approach. I use a master folder for each project. When I said working drive earlier I meant that that drive had the raw footage and all other media related to that project. So, like you, I can move or copy all of the project contents in one go. Sorry I wasn't more clear about that.

jon

Return to posts index

Craig Alan
on Dec 15, 2013 at 4:39:50 pm

Thanks Jon,

My need for the sparse images are these:

I can mount or unmount them keeping the FCP X interface less cluttered. And more importantly, I am preparing to set this up in a program with many students and many projects sharing a limited number of Macs. I've learned that in a simple-finder-account the option to mount sparse images is grayed out. Thus as admin, I can mount and unmount a student's (or project's) entire virtual drive without other students being able to do the same.

I think, though have not tested enough, that permissions for external drives and folders in general, has gotten less buggy in recent versions of OS X. So it might be possible to do this by setting permissions on individual master folders for each account. However with sparse images I have no need to create multiple accounts and log them in and out. I can have just two accounts: admin and student and manage student access to their work and only their work by mounting and un-mounting sparse images. This does require quitting FCP first. The 'bundle' sparse image approach allows this virtual drive to only occupy as much space as it actually uses. I have also run into corrupted accounts in the recent past. If all work is saved to sparse images on the media drive then recreating the student account does not require too much effort.

FWIW, I first heard of the sparse image approach being used by post shops that did not want their clients to see their other client's work load in FCP X. My understanding is also that if too much media is loaded in FC that is slows things down. I don't know if this is true or not.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]