FORUMS: list search recent posts

Some clips getting resized on export

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mark Boszko
Some clips getting resized on export
on Dec 11, 2013 at 1:54:33 am

I'm using the latest FCPX (10.0.9) with a 720p23.98 sequence, and I'm having a very weird problem where the sequence looks perfectly fine when I play it from the FCPX timeline, but when I export (“Share”), it resizes some of the clips, but not all. (?!)

Further evidence supporting the idea that the resize is happening at clip-level is some 3rd party transitions applied to the clips are obviously happening at the correct scale, but with zoomed and cropped clips on either side of them. To be clear — I did not zoom and crop the clips. This is something that FCPX is doing, unbidden, during the export render.

This seems to happen no matter what Share option I pick: Master File, Apple Devices 720p, a custom Share setting, Send to Compressor…

For the life of me, I have no idea what's going on here. Why would some clips get resized and not others? (And why is it resizing things at all?) Any ideas where I should be looking for the trouble?

Thanks for any ideas,
MB

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
Re: Some clips getting resized on export
on Dec 11, 2013 at 2:14:03 am

Is it anything like this? Do you have larger raster footage connected to it?

http://forums.creativecow.net/readpost/344/24648

If so, it's a big bug that I hope gets squashed.

Return to posts index

Mark Boszko
on Dec 11, 2013 at 5:04:49 am

Not quite. No 4K footage, and the footage appears fine in the timeline. It's only in the exported movie that this weird resizing occurs.

Return to posts index

David Eaks
on Dec 11, 2013 at 11:31:06 am

What is the original video's frame size? 1080?

Does the issue only occur to clips that are in a secondary storyline with transitions on it?

Return to posts index

Mark Boszko
on Dec 11, 2013 at 8:18:04 pm

What is the original video's frame size? 1080?

Well… perhaps. Everything is 720 now, but I think some clips may have originally been 1080, and I drag-n-drop replaced the clips with new versions that are 720. However, it may in fact be these clips that are now flaking out. Trying to determine that.

Does the issue only occur to clips that are in a secondary storyline with transitions on it?

Yep. Is this a known issue?

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Dec 11, 2013 at 8:51:02 pm

[Mark Boszko] "Yep. Is this a known issue?"

This is what I was linking to in the other thread.

My footage happened to be 4k in 1080 timeline, but another user said it happened with HD footage in an SD timeline.

Did you read all the way through the thread?

It might help to determine if it is the same issue.

http://forums.creativecow.net/thread/344/24648#24648

When this happens, the 1080 clip takes on the 720 properties You can check it in the inspector and it only happens when you put it in a secondary.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Mark Boszko
on Dec 11, 2013 at 9:46:25 pm

I didn't think it was the same exact issue, as I don't have any problem with the clip in the timeline — only in the exported Quicktime. Perhaps they are related, though.

Return to posts index

David Eaks
on Dec 12, 2013 at 11:50:17 pm

Mark- "Is this a known issue?"

Well, I think this is the first I've heard of someone else who's actually encountered this bug. I haven't investigated it too much, just figured out how to avoid it, then avoided it.

I think this is different than the bug in the other thread. This resize on export bug actually changes the scale of the clip but the problem doesn't reveal itself until viewing the exported file.

I discovered this bug when changing the project setting of a completed HD timeline, to SD, then export an SD Prores Master Clip. The text in titles would look fine in the timeline but once exported the text would be huge and most of it lost off the edges of the screen. I found it to only occur in secondary storylines.

As far as I've narrowed it down, it only happens when-

1) the clip in the primary is not the same size as the sequence frame size

2) a connected clip is connected to that clip

3) the connected clip is in a secondary storyline

4) some other variable I can't pin down

It seems to me that FCPX forgets to scale the clip in the secondary along with all the other clips. In the situation I encountered the bug it appears that the title is being displayed at its pixel for pixel HD size in an SD frame, instead of scaling down with everything else.

This behavior has persisted through clean installs and FCPX updates, so I don't think it is a corrupt user or installation issue or a rouge plugin. It's a bug. I reported it to Apple quite a while ago.

When I've asked, others were not able to recreate the bug and I'm sitting here doing test exports and can't recreate it in any new test timeline. Testing with an existing project I can replicate the bug easily. Strange.

Return to posts index

Andreas Kiel
on Dec 14, 2013 at 10:07:10 am

Mark,

I had something similar a few weeks ago, though it was a bit different.

I had a long timeline with one clip which spliced using the blade tool. The different parts did have different effects.
The timeline and the display in FCPX where fine. I exported that for customer review and found some effects applied different from those I saw in FCP.
I remembered that at least for some of them I did some tweaks during editing.
So my first idea was that FCPX took some of the render files during export. I deleted all render files and tried again.
Same result.
Then I tried to render the complete sequence to check whether the error happens in FCPX as well during the complete "faked export".
Everything was fine.
I made another try to export the timeline and everything looked like expected.

On another forum some confirmed this odd behavior.

Another issue I had with sharing was that FCPX for some reason keeps something somewhere which says "hey don't worry, I'm already there, use me".
Means that bad exports cold be stored somewhere inside the project and the output is always the same.
What helped was to quit FCPX moving all Share and Render stuff to trash, then empty the trash and re-launch FCPX.

-Andreas

Spherico
http://www.spherico.com/filmtools
X-Files Pro, tools for working with FCPX
http://www.spherico.com/filmtools/X-Files/index.html

"He who fights with monsters should be careful lest he thereby
become a monster. And if thou gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will
also gaze into thee." - Friedrich Nietzsche, Beyond Good and Evil

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]