FORUMS: list search recent posts

Conform GoPro 1920x1440 clips in 1920x1080 timeline (at full width), best workflow?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Stephen Underwood
Conform GoPro 1920x1440 clips in 1920x1080 timeline (at full width), best workflow?
on Dec 10, 2013 at 12:39:48 am

Hi, I shot underwater footage I'd like to "crop vertically" or "Ken Burns pan" through the vertical, while easily "snapping" the clips to their full 1920 width.

Saw a thread about video>Spatial conform. "Fit", "fill", "none". Is one of these my best bet, and could someone walk me through the steps once clips are imported as to how to land them in the timeline most effiently? (I've been using "Ken Burns" to resize & crop to full width, but they don't "snap" to full width as I'd hoped.) Thanks!

~ Steve Underwood

Computer: MacBook Pro, OS X 10.9
Processor: 2.6GHz, Intel Core i7, Memory: 16GB
Intel Iris Pro, NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M, FCX 10.09
Pegasus 4TB RAID

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
Re: Conform GoPro 1920x1440 clips in 1920x1080 timeline (at full width), best workflow?
on Dec 10, 2013 at 5:01:38 am

Where are you eventually going with the project?
If it's not required that you go full-size 1920 wide, consider working in a 1280x720 base timeline. That gives you some natural "zoom factor" latitude.
As to the "snap" - you need to go back and read the threads on how to defeat the X "ease in" behavior. A topic that's been discussed at length here.
The actual "Ken Burns" part of X is simple and pretty foolproof.
Plus, as you'll learn. There' no reason you can't apply KB, then go into your storyline and apply another layer of movement via the standard keyframe movement functions.
Lots of capability in the software - you just have to uncover it.

Know someone who teaches video editing in elementary school, high school or college? Tell them to check out http://www.StartEditingNow.com - video editing curriculum complete with licensed practice content.

Return to posts index

David Eaks
Re: Conform GoPro 1920x1440 clips in 1920x1080 timeline (at full width), best workflow?
on Dec 10, 2013 at 10:34:14 am
Last Edited By David Eaks on Dec 10, 2013 at 10:49:11 am

If I understand what you're trying to do correctly, which is to work in a 1920x1080 project and use the extra vertical resolution of 1920x1440 video to pan the image up or down while keeping the image at full width the whole time, it should be pretty easy, use Fill. Or none. In this case they should essentially be the same, but that is not always true.

I haven't worked with 1920x1440 but here is what I think would work for you-

Select all of the 1920x1440 clips in the Event Browser then go to the Inspector and choose Spatial Conform> Fill. This will set the clips to "Fill" the 1920x1080 frame of the viewer so there are no black borders while maintaining the aspect ratio of your clip. Doing this in the Event browser now ensures that they are all the same and you won't have to keep changing a clips setting every time you add one to the timeline. Now, add one of the clips to an empty timeline, when the video settings window pops up choose 1920x1080 and your frame rate (what is it?). If your project is anything other than 1920x1080 (it shows right under the timeline) hit command-J to open the project library and the inspector (if it isn't already), then click the wrench and change the Project Properties to 1920x1080.

The result is that your videos 1920 width fits the screen perfectly and the extra lines of vertical resolution beyond 1080 at the top and bottom are cropped off (center crop). Ken Burns will still be "aware" of the extra resolution at this point and snap to the width at one end but the effect is intended to zoom in or out. So you will have to manually adjust the zoomed part to fit the full width perfectly. As you've discovered, that's a huge PITA. On the other hand, Key framing the clips Y position will let you work with the extra lines of resolution to pan up and down without having to "un-zoom" the Ken burns effect.

If you use Fit, FCPX will "Fit" your entire image in the frame without altering the aspect ratio. In your case it needs to fit the vertical resolution, effectively leaving black pillar box borders on the sides. The other way around would be placing an HD clip set to Fit in an SD project. It would fit the width of the HD clip to the width of the SD frame, leaving black letterbox borders.

Choosing Spatial Conform "None" will display your image pixel for pixel in the viewer. So, in a 1080 timeline an SD clip set to none would be a tiny little box surrounded by huge black borders. On the other hand a 4K clip would be zoomed in 4x giving you all kinds of room to play with panning around in the oversized image. In your case this should result in the same framing as fill, pixel for pixel width and extra resolution cropped at the top and bottom.

I thought there was some case where a spatial conform setting would alter the aspect ratio. I either just can't think of it, the behavior has changed in an update or it never existed.

Like Bill mentioned, key frame interpolation is a bit wonky and there are work arounds if you don't want the default ease behavior.

Return to posts index

Stephen Underwood
on Dec 11, 2013 at 4:12:04 am

Thank you Bill and David! Great info from both replies... Plenty of option to choose from. (As to the 720 resize question, I need to edit at the full 1080 size).

~ Steve Underwood

Computer: MacBook Pro, OS X 10.9
Processor: 2.6GHz, Intel Core i7, Memory: 16GB
Intel Iris Pro, NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M, FCX 10.09
Pegasus 4TB RAID

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]