FORUMS: list search recent posts

Auditions

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Julian Bowman
Auditions
on Dec 8, 2013 at 10:58:59 am

hi there,

I have finally got a use for auditions so tried it out, but for my way of doing things it feels a little handicapped.

I have a clip in my primary and I want a second added to give me the choice of which I will finally use. Adding a second clip in the timeline means I must drop it on, which is fine, and it gives the add Audition option. Thing is it adds the clip to the Audition at the length of the region selected in the browser, not the length of the initial clip in my timeline.

This means I have to choose the second clip and trim it to the size of my space manually.

Although not the end of the world it does mean if i am doing it late in the day, which i am, I have to delete and replace transitions, I have to make a note of the place in the timeline the clip is meant to stop at and then have to manually trim the second audition clip.

Ideally there is simply an extra option in the drop on menu of Add Audition from Start, like the replace functionality, so the new clip fits and plays nicely with my timeline. But there isn't.

Am I missing something here and I can do what I need or is this simply a nice idea that hasn't been fully developed yet?

And although I see one create auditions in the event browser prior to popping them on the timeline that is never really going to be of value to me. I will pretty much always want to use this feature in the manner described above.

Cheers in advance.

Return to posts index

Julian Bowman
Re: Auditions
on Dec 8, 2013 at 11:01:16 am

In fact, as an addensum, it would simply be great if one could highlight two or three stacked clips in the timeline and create an audition like that... or be able to take a stacked clip from the timeline and drop it onto the primary clip, even with a key modifier to do it.

In this instance FCPX doesn't appear to consider that some editors may use the timeline itself to paint, so to speak.

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Dec 8, 2013 at 5:19:27 pm

I would argue that in most cases the clips you would audition would be of different lengths. Of course more options would be better, but I think it's focus is more for trying out different takes, which of course wouldn't conform to the same length. That's the power of the feature. But if you're editing something to the beat of music or a specific length, then it's not too good for that use in its current iteration. Just stacking clips in the timeline is more visual IMO anyway.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Dec 9, 2013 at 4:43:03 pm

[Julian Bowman] "In fact, as an addensum, it would simply be great if one could highlight two or three stacked clips in the timeline and create an audition like that... or be able to take a stacked clip from the timeline and drop it onto the primary clip, even with a key modifier to do it."

You can create an Audition clip in the Browser. Range selections are honored so you could range the clips from the timeline, select each one and match frame (shift -f). This will save the current range on the clip.

Then select the clips in the Browser and hit shift-Y to create an Audition. Edit the Audition clip in to the timeline using the "replace from start" command and your transitions remain in place.

So, select the clips, shift-f, for each clip. Command-y in the browser. option-r

Alternatively, you can add an Audition clip as a connected clip and trim in the timeline without adjusting everything else.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]