FORUMS: list search recent posts

Issue with Resolve not reading multi-cam clips

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Dennis Widmyer
Issue with Resolve not reading multi-cam clips
on Dec 7, 2013 at 7:12:35 pm

Hey everyone,

I'm at the beginning stage of finishing my film, and our colorist in NY is having issues reading our XMLs. I used the Xto7 program and converted all the Final Cut X xmls to FC7 versions. But upon import into Resolve, tons of shots are missing and are instead showing up as black gaps. After spending hours researching this, I think I've narrowed it down to a multi-cam issue. We even tried a test where, I created a new project with only two shots on it. One was a single camera shot, the other a multi-camera shot. And in Resolve, only the single camera shot showed up.

Does anyone have any experience with this and could provide me some advice? There's no easy way to 'flatten' the multi-cam clips. And about 90% of the shots in our sequences are multi-cam. So I'm hoping there may be something else I can do to correct this. I've tried a few different Metadata View options. But no dice.

--
Dennis Widmyer
http://www.parallacticpictures.com

Return to posts index

Jacob Brown
Re: Issue with Resolve not reading multi-cam clips
on Dec 7, 2013 at 7:28:21 pm

Resolve can import FCPX XML directly and will handle all of the multicam clips perfectly. Skip Xto7 entirely.

Return to posts index

Dennis Widmyer
on Dec 7, 2013 at 7:58:08 pm

Hi Jacob,

It hasn't though. It crashes Resolve repeatedly upon import. (this was Resolve version 9).

So we then converted it using xto7, and that at least allowed to be imported. But then we were seeing entire gaps where the bulk of our shots were supposed to be. The same exact thing is happening when you load the converted XML into Final Cut 7. After a series of tests, we deduced that it was the multi-cam clips that weren't showing up. But what's odd is, it's not even showing an error message or a missing proxy. Rather, it's just showing a complete gap in the shots where those clips should be. So something is definitely getting lost in the translation.

I just emailed the good folks at xto7 to see if they can help. But I'm thinking that this is probably something on the Final Cut X level that's getting lost when I export the XML.

--
Dennis Widmyer

Return to posts index

Jacob Brown
on Dec 7, 2013 at 8:32:34 pm

hmm that is strange. multicam definitely won't crash resolve. i've done a number of multicam music video type projects that were graded in resolve via the XML round trip. and i dont thnk Xto7 is mean to work with multicam, will probably be a dead end.

is there anything else in your timeline that's funky that maybe you could take out? maybe try stripping anything weird or unnecesary. breaking compound clips. whatever else you can think of. then exporting XML to Resolve again.

Return to posts index

Michael Sanders
on Dec 8, 2013 at 10:28:10 am

What version of X and resolve are you using?

I've noted some very odd behaviour if you have the following situation, which is what I suspect your doing?

If you have a number of shots, each with multiple angles and you select all the clips and the make one big multiclip and then send that to resolve it can go very weird.

To get round this you need to select each shot individually and make individually multicams - it's a pain but its the only way. Haven't tried it with .9 and resolve ten yet but I will.

Michael Sanders
London Based DP/Editor

Return to posts index

Michael Sanders
on Dec 8, 2013 at 10:29:05 am

I've flagged this with both Apple and Blackmagic - it's one of the reasons I'm annoyed there's no batch multicam facility.

Michael Sanders
London Based DP/Editor

Return to posts index

Michael Sanders
on Dec 8, 2013 at 10:42:42 am

Just tried this with FCP X 10.0.9 and Resolve 10.1 Lite. If you export a multi cam sequence from the timeline it sends weird time codes and black holes.. So you end up with a mess in the resolve timeline.

As I say I've flagged this with Apple and BM but worth doing again.

Michael Sanders
London Based DP/Editor

Return to posts index

Dennis Widmyer
on Dec 8, 2013 at 5:53:01 pm

Hi Michael,

Turns out it was a combination issue of Resolve and the program Xto7. The version of Resolve was 9, which, for some reason, wouldn't bring in the xml.fcpx files without crashing upon import. So we then purchased X to 7 to convert the xmls. This allowed us to get them into both Resolve 9 and FInal Cut 7. But in each program, we were seeing giant gaps where about 75% of our shots should be. After trouble-shooting this all morning, we figured out that it was the multicam clips that weren't surviving the translation. I ended up finally having to email the creator of the X to 7, a very awesome dude who looked at our XMLs and determined that it was a problem with the way the app was calculating our multicam shots. o he quickly addressed and fixed the problem and then converted all our XMLs for us. After which time, they loaded into Resolve Lite (on my end) with all the clips in tact. We're now waiting to hear back from the Colorist in NY to see if he was able to get them to load in Resolve 9 too. Fingers crossed!

--
Dennis Widmyer

Return to posts index

Charlie Austin
on Dec 8, 2013 at 11:09:12 pm

[Dennis Widmyer] "I ended up finally having to email the creator of the X to 7, a very awesome dude who looked at our XMLs and determined that"

Greg and Philip are great. Best customer service around. :-)

-------------------------------------------------------------

~ My FCPX Babbling blog ~
~"It is a poor craftsman who blames his tools."~
~"The function you just attempted is not yet implemented"~

Return to posts index

Dennis Widmyer
on Dec 9, 2013 at 12:10:58 am

Agreed. He got back to me within minutes.

--
Dennis Widmyer

Return to posts index

David Powell
on Dec 9, 2013 at 7:06:05 pm

In my experience, the black hole gaps always happened where there were speed changes in X to 7.

Return to posts index

Dennis Widmyer
on Dec 9, 2013 at 9:07:08 pm

Yeah, it doesn't like speed changes, but in this instance, it was due to the multicam shots.

--
Dennis Widmyer

Return to posts index

Tobias Heilmann-Schuricht
on Dec 10, 2013 at 8:44:02 am

I had the exact same issue. Resolve 10 crashed or showed lots of gaps with the FCPX XML, which contained both multi cam, single cam and compound clips.

As I had no time to play around, I rebuilt the entire 45 Minute Timeline using the original r3d single cam clips. I took it to RCX to create trimmed versions of the r3d and the went to Resolve.

I really wish the FCPX had a function where you could sort of decompose or convert a multi cam, compound clip project timeline to show show all the original cam media, as well as the original audio.

On a side note, I just took the very same project to LogicX for finishing and really had to laugh out loud, looking at the result. I was nothing short of a joke. About 150 individual audio tracks, all over the place, partially showing audio, that wasn't even in the timeline.

I used XproAudio Convert to create an AAF and that worked very well, not perfect, but very well. But it was the first time in a while where I really felt like using non-pro software - going from one Apple Pro App to another with such devastating results... I really love editing with FCPX magnetic timeline. It has freed creative methods and ways of approaching projects immensely and I would never want to go back to anything else... but I spend enormous amounts of time going from my locked offline edits to the various finishing tools.

In Touch Media GmbH
Germany

Return to posts index

Jiri Fiala
on Dec 30, 2013 at 12:55:05 pm

"but I spend enormous amounts of time going from my locked offline edits to the various finishing tools"

Exactly. Right now, X2Pro doesn't work properly with FCPX 10.1 - audio is off and clips are missing.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]