FORUMS: list search recent posts

Keeping connected clips in sync when replacing primary storyline

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jeff Krieger
Keeping connected clips in sync when replacing primary storyline
on Dec 7, 2013 at 7:11:05 am
Last Edited By Jeff Krieger on Dec 7, 2013 at 7:18:25 am

OK…whomever helps me with this one, I owe big time. I am trying to replace my primary storyline with a new version of itself (added a few things to it). I moved the updated clip to the secondary storyline. I would now like to replace the primary storyline (UptoLehman) with the secondary storyline (UptoLehman2) yet still keep all the audio/music clips in sync.

Is this possible? This is where FCP X was supposed to shine…and maybe it can…but it's been frustrating me to all get out. Without a solution, I have to go back and re-tweak all the audio for the rest of the piece. Pretty much a huge pain.

Thx so much.

Return to posts index

Andy Neil
Re: Keeping connected clips in sync when replacing primary storyline
on Dec 7, 2013 at 7:31:37 am

Well, according to your picture, UptoLehman2 is a little longer than UptoLehman. This leaves you with a couple options.

You can choose to Replace at Start or End to maintain the same length of your sequence and therefore maintain the same relationship of your connected audio. I suspect however, that you want the new clip to be longer.

What I suggest is you select your music clips (which you've chopped up) and enclose them in a secondary storyline (CMD+G). This will drop all the connection points except the first one and so when you replace the UptoLehman clip, the music clips will stay in position relative to each other.

Andy

http://www.timesavertutorials.com

Return to posts index

David Eaks
on Dec 7, 2013 at 9:39:05 am

If UpToLehman2 is in place exactly where you want it and you don't mind overwriting the beginning piece of video on the LehmantocoreIV clip, "overwrite to primary" should do that just fine. All the audio should stay right in place and the beginning of LehmantoCoreIV should automatically get a J-cut.

Select UpToLehman2 and press-

Command-Option-Down

Return to posts index

Jacob Brown
on Dec 7, 2013 at 7:32:01 pm

You should definitely use overwrite to primary storyline. you can simply insert a gap at end of the orignal primary storyline section of the proper length if you dont want to overwrite the next clip.

The "left from storyline", "replace with gap" (thats shift delete), and "over write to storyline" are your friend. really powerful and these are the functions that most people fail to understand and therefore fail to understand the power of magnetic timeline/bemoan loss of tracks.

Return to posts index

Robert St-Onge
on Dec 8, 2013 at 2:17:31 am

Or you could use the Position tool -P-

Select you event and move it to the primary storyline where you can freely place it where you want and not lose sync. It is as if you are momentarily disabling the magnetic timeline, everything stays still and your new event will simply overwrite the primary storyline.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]