FORUMS: list search recent posts

What Backup Procedure for FCPX

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ty Ford
What Backup Procedure for FCPX
on Dec 6, 2013 at 3:25:18 pm

I'm just reading that FCPX apparently doesn't play well with Carbon Copy Cloner. (Hey, Apple, Put THAT on your "fix-it list.")

I have a media drive with Pro Tools, Soundtrack Pro and FCPx projects on it. What's the best way to backup FCPX events and projects?

Thanks,

Ty Ford

Want better production audio?: Ty Ford's Audio Bootcamp Field Guide
Ty Ford Blog: Ty Ford's Blog

Return to posts index

Tim Jones
Re: What Backup Procedure for FCPX
on Dec 6, 2013 at 4:23:16 pm

Warning: Vendor opinion follows ;-) -

BRU PE 3.1 has upcoming support for proper handling of your complete FCP X environment (you can write to disk, but we recommend tape for obvious reasons). Here's a video preview of the workflow:

If all goes well next week, we're about 6 days away from the 3.1 release.

Tim
--
Tim Jones
CTO - TOLIS Group, Inc.
http://www.productionbackup.com
BRU ... because it's the RESTORE that matters!

Return to posts index

Nick Toth
on Dec 6, 2013 at 4:39:54 pm

I have all my media on a RAID. I back the RAID up to a second large drive with Carbon Copy Cloner. I have been doing this since FCP X 10.0.0.

anickt

Return to posts index

Jeff Kirkland
on Dec 6, 2013 at 8:27:01 pm

I'm not entirely sure why you think it's up to Apple to fix Carbon Copy Cloner?

I can to you that I've been backing up my 4tb RAID to another 4tb drive with Chronosync for years and it has no issues at all with FCPX. Might be time to switch to an app that works :-)

Jeff Kirkland | Video Producer | Southern Creative Media | Melbourne Australia
http://www.southerncreative.com.au | G+: http://gplus.to/jeffkirkland | Twitter: @jeffkirkland

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Dec 6, 2013 at 9:38:29 pm

Step 1 - understand what FCP-X is and what it's not.
It is a system built entirely on metadata and references to buckets of content.
So: literally everything you do when you edit in X, is just create text stings that describe instructions that the program understands. (This is why when X crashes, you rarely lose anything.)

That in mind...

Step 2 - is to think about two repositories for your work. The media content - and the editing instructions.

Step 3 - Take care of your original media content. That means a system to back up original files. If you have large drives or drive arrays, you likely will be doing this anyway. If you have more modest needs, figure out a strategy for making multiple clones of the original data cards or drives. This is where Disk Archives and Sparse Disk Bundles have been a great solution since X came out. It protects your basic resources - AND makes it possible to clone your clones for multiple backups.

And then, Step 4 is to preserve the metadata that X needs to know what editing and processing decisions you've made in your actual editing. These files are VERY small. So backing them up is truly easy. You can drag your CurrentVersion.fcpevent into a dated and client specific project file on a thumb drive and you'll have saved literally every editing decision you've made in seconds.

Everything else in the X system is a matter of convenience, not actual work safety.

For example, if you have large render files in your projects media folders, it will be quicker to also save these since you won't have to wait to re-render things if you need to resurrect a project at a later date - but you CAN re-render them - so it's not unsafe, just inconvenient.

I think the key is to think in two stages.

First, how much FCP-X Event and Project work do I need to keep "live" all the time.
And when I'm ready to archive older work - how "recovery ready" do I need that work to be.

If you have the bucks and the storage space and only need to edit in your office, you can build a ginormous multi-drive storage system and keep all your work "live" forever. If you don't, or even if you just want to be as "mobile" as possible and valuable the ability to pull out something like a small 1TB portable drive and take your work in the field with a laptop - then bring the SAME files back to plug into your large system - then the digital clones process would probably be a better workflow option.

X is extremely flexible in that it allows you to work these ways and more. But you've got to understand that an X "project" or an X "event" isn't a big, monolithic thing. It's a modular system of connected things.Knowing that kind of thing can really help you learn to manage things effectively.

FWIW.

Know someone who teaches video editing in elementary school, high school or college? Tell them to check out http://www.StartEditingNow.com - video editing curriculum complete with licensed practice content.

Return to posts index

Charlie Austin
on Dec 6, 2013 at 11:38:45 pm
Last Edited By Charlie Austin on Dec 6, 2013 at 11:46:54 pm

[Bill Davis] "X is extremely flexible in that it allows you to work these ways and more. But you've got to understand that an X "project" or an X "event" isn't a big, monolithic thing. It's a modular system of connected things.Knowing that kind of thing can really help you learn to manage things effectively."

That's explanation A.

Here's explanation B: It's a big, confusing mess that Apple is interested in simplifying.

I'm a fan of Occam's razor. I have posted a related topic on my widely ignored blog.

-------------------------------------------------------------

~"It is a poor craftsman who blames his tools."~
~"The function you just attempted is not yet implemented"~

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Dec 7, 2013 at 9:21:21 pm

It shouldn't be ignored. I enjoyed reading it a lot!

Persuant to nothing - the barber shop where I use to get my hair cut was called Occam's Edge.

Always thought they should have used a sub-title - "Where getting a nice haircut doesn't have to be so dang complicated."

Know someone who teaches video editing in elementary school, high school or college? Tell them to check out http://www.StartEditingNow.com - video editing curriculum complete with licensed practice content.

Return to posts index

Charlie Austin
on Dec 8, 2013 at 12:32:37 am
Last Edited By Charlie Austin on Dec 8, 2013 at 1:25:44 am

[Bill Davis] "I enjoyed reading it a lot!"

[David Eaks] " Looks like I'll be a regular reader now."

Well, that's two. I'm famous! lol

Thanks for the encouragement, it's appreciated. :-) I guess this means I'll have to actually update it from time to time... I'll stick a link below in case anyone else is bored...

~ My FCPX Babbling blog ~

Return to posts index

David Eaks
on Dec 7, 2013 at 9:33:13 pm

Well, I didn't even know about your blog and had even missed that you posted a link until Bill mentioned it. I started reading it while on break between shoots. Looks like I'll be a regular reader now.

Put a link in your sig.

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
on Dec 6, 2013 at 9:38:56 pm
Last Edited By Ty Ford on Dec 6, 2013 at 9:43:51 pm

I'll be sure to pass your regards on to ccc.

So, chronosync makes your backed up FCPX files invisible to FCPX? That seems to be the issue here. FCPX sees the backup drive upon startup and "gets confused."

Ty Ford

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Dec 6, 2013 at 9:53:59 pm

[Ty Ford] "So, chronosync makes your backed up FCPX files invisible to FCPX? That seems to be the issue here. FCPX sees the backup drive upon startup and "gets confused."
"

Hi Ty.

That makes perfect sense.

As fundamentally a database, X "look around" for mounted drives - and if it sees an FCP-X event or project in the correct place (the drive root level), it automatically loads it up for work - which means it reads it's data into it's database.

If you're mounting multiple clones of the same assets, X will surely get confused, since it will have multiple instances of the the same assets with the same HEX ids. Bad for any database!

This only happens with multiple assets on the same root level of the drive. So a simple way to fix it is to take your drive clones and simply drag them into sub-folders to burry them a level below the desktop. If they're there - X won't try to open and read them in.

I don't use CCC - but if you can target it to create it's clones inside a folder, rather than the root drive level, it might solve the problem.

Return to posts index

Nick Toth
on Dec 6, 2013 at 10:01:54 pm

You just need to tell CCC to backup into a folder on the backup drive and not directly to the root. Problem solved.

anickt

Return to posts index

David Eaks
on Dec 6, 2013 at 10:18:24 pm

Isn't it a general "best practice" to not be working in your NLE while running backups of your projects and media? I can see how FCPX wouldn't like seeing two identical drives with identical files and structure. So, just don't open FCPX while a backup drive is mounted. I also tend to keep every project and event but the one I'm working on hidden from FCPX using Event Manager X. If all your projects and events are hidden from FCPX on both your media drive and backup drive, I'm not sure that FCPX would even care whether or not they are both mounted at the same time.

I only mount backup drives when it's time to do a backup (including time machine). I'll make sure the trash is empty, reboot, run backup, then eject the drive when it's done.

Return to posts index

Claude Lyneis
on Dec 7, 2013 at 3:44:54 am

I use Superduper and backup only when not running FCPX as above. Then I dismount the backup. May not be the fastest way, but FCPX and I don't get confused.

Return to posts index

Jeff Kirkland
on Dec 6, 2013 at 11:30:15 pm

Don't get me wrong, there's nothing wrong with CCC, it's a great and useful tool, I just couldn't understand why you'd call on Apple to fix an issue with something that doesn't advertise itself as being a FCPX backup solution.

Now I've had my morning coffee, I'll add what I'm sure others will also say - you can't have two identical copies of events and projects online at the same time. So no matter what software you choose for your backup, the copy destination needs to be in a folder, not in the root of the drive.

Cheers
Jeff K

http://www.southerncreative.com.au | G+: http://gplus.to/jeffkirkland | Twitter: @jeffkirkland

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
on Dec 14, 2013 at 12:15:32 am

Because, Jeff,

FCP X is the ONLY app I have ever used that has this problem.

BTW, since I last posted, Mike Bombich of CCC let me know of two ways to fix the Apple problem.

This is one: http://www.screenr.com/E4t

I do like the "create a folder on your Destination drive and setup a FCP backup to it" suggestion. earlier on this thread. I'm trying that tonight to see if it works as suggested.

Regards,

Ty Ford

Return to posts index

Charlie Austin
on Dec 14, 2013 at 1:00:22 am

[Ty Ford] "FCP X is the ONLY app I have ever used that has this problem. "

FWIW... If the clues Alex Gollner uncovered in iMovie have any validity, It may no longer be a problem when FCP X is updated.

~ My FCPX Babbling blog ~

Return to posts index

Jeff Kirkland
on Dec 14, 2013 at 1:03:53 am

[Ty Ford] "FCP X is the ONLY app I have ever used that has this problem. "

Which just means that you need to modify your backup strategy to suit the software, not ask the developer to change their application to suit your strategy.

Backing up to a folder in the root of your drive is the way most folks handle the situation so there's no reason to doubt it will work for you. If some of the rumoured changes come in FCPX come to pass, you'll only have to deal with the issue for another week or two in any event.

Cheers
Jeff K

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
on Dec 14, 2013 at 2:19:19 am

With respect Jeff,

I bought my first Apple in 1987. Apple is not some "developer." It's Apple, who should know better. They've been at the rodeo a long time; from the OS on up. This feels like another case of Apple's generational shift; new hires losing track of basic housekeeping. Perhaps existing older staff just forgetting what professionals need to do. Not likely though.

If you had the folder information, you could have just passed it on. Why be so hostile? Who peed in your Wheaties this morning?

Regards,

Ty Ford

Return to posts index

Loren Risker
on Dec 6, 2013 at 9:38:57 pm

Final Cut Pro projects and events can be easily duplicated by the finder - I don't see why carbon copy cloner would cause a problem. I could see how it would be a problem with the motion templates folder but as long as your event file, your project file, and your media copy to another drive, you're good to go.

-------------
OutOfFocus.TV - Original series, music videos, mini-docs.

Return to posts index

Bob Woodhead
on Dec 6, 2013 at 11:58:06 pm

Backups for Final Cut Pro
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/backups-for-final-cut-pro/id586594646?ls=1&...

yeah. buttah. responsive dev.

Return to posts index

Charlie Austin
on Dec 7, 2013 at 12:01:02 am

[Bob Woodhead] "Backups for Final Cut Pro"

Yep, awesome. Saved me a couple times. :-)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]