FORUMS: list search recent posts

Best project setting for 4K to 1080 final

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Oscar Bucco
Best project setting for 4K to 1080 final
on Dec 6, 2013 at 12:15:43 am

Hello,
I have been editing some 4K Red footage which will ultimately end up as a standard HD 1080 quicktime. I am wondering what is the best FCPX project setting for maintaining quality while also having a fast workspace.

Here are my options as I see it:

1) Work in the native 4K format, then export the final as 1080. This options seems to slow down render times a bit, especially when multiple FX and titles are added.

2) Work in a 1080 project. Easiest solution with quickest render times but am I losing quality or is it the same since the final will be 1080 anyways?

3) Work in a 1080 project, and then before final render, change project settings back to 4K, then export 1080 quicktime.Is this just stupid or would it bump up the quality before final output?

Any thoughts appreciated. Also, given the above, if I "blow up" one of my 4K images, making a CLOSE-UP out of a Medium Shot or adding a bit of a post zoom, does one of the choices above offer the best opportunity to maintain quality?

Many thanks for your thoughts!
Oscar

Return to posts index

Glenn Grant
Re: Best project setting for 4K to 1080 final
on Dec 6, 2013 at 2:07:21 am

I don't do a lot of 4K work, but what I have done in the past is edit in a 1080 project with proxy media. Then switch to original/optimized before exporting.

This should keep your system moving fast and you will not loose any quality if you reframe your shots and cut into a close up.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Dec 6, 2013 at 2:09:24 am

Option 2.

Here's 4k @ 1080 from a Sony F55: http://f1.creativecow.net/6766/4k-in-1080

It will be great quality and will allow the most flexibility in reframing.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Dec 6, 2013 at 2:11:00 am

By the way, that interview is one 4k shot, framed at about the waist.

Return to posts index

Oscar Bucco
on Dec 6, 2013 at 2:25:52 am

Thanks guys for the feedback and Jeremy, that's a perfect example of creative reframing with the 4K footage. You made it look like you had two or three lenses. Well done!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]