The Big Day

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
James Ewart
The Big Day
on Dec 5, 2013 at 10:35:12 am

So...

I have not upgraded to Mavericks yet.

When 10.1 arrives I think I will do so in the hope that any issues people have experienced with 10.09 with Mavericks will magically go away with 10.1. It seems logical t me that they should at least begin to.

But here's the question:

Do I upgrade to Mavericks and then FCP10.1 or the the way round?

Return to posts index

David Eaks
Re: The Big Day
on Dec 5, 2013 at 12:17:52 pm

Installing the new FCPX 10.1 on an old Mountain Lion system then updating to Mavericks seems like it would have increased potential to experience odd issues in the long run. I would say its "best" to do a clean install of Mavericks, then a clean install of FCPX 10.1.

And I would say that because it's exactly what I will do when it's released, but I'm a clean-install-aholic and rarely "update" major changes to the OS or mainly used Apps (I updated to 10.0.9). Instead of updating, a perfectly working System drive goes on the shelf and a newly formatted drive goes in. With good organization and saving of install files and disc images, installing everything is a snap (for example if you still install stuff like FCS 3 from the Discs, you've just got to make disc images and experience the time savings). Of course none of this happens on a production machine until critical workflow elements have been tested with the new software on a secondary Mac.

It's been an evolving process over the last few years, which designed itself out of necessity, reading COW posts, cautiousness and a quest for stability. Seems to cut down on "oddities", that way you only have to deal with actual bugs. Though I've been messing with Mavericks since the betas, it hasn't made it to my main edit suite yet.

On the other hand, the new Mac Pro will ship with Mavericks, so there's really no question. Only choice is to install FCPX 10.1 on Mavericks. ; )

Return to posts index

John Davidson
on Dec 5, 2013 at 4:29:01 pm

I think OS X 10.9.1 will likely release at the same time as, or very very near, to FCPX 10.1 (or 11) and the new Mac Pro release.

John Davidson | President / Creative Director | Magic Feather Inc.

Return to posts index

Charlie Austin
on Dec 6, 2013 at 1:17:34 am

[John Davidson] "FCPX 10.1 (or 11)"

I hope they call it 11. Opens up some serious Spinal Tap marketing possibilities. :-)

-------------------------------------------------------------

~"It is a poor craftsman who blames his tools."~
~"The function you just attempted is not yet implemented"~

Return to posts index

James Ewart
on Dec 11, 2013 at 6:13:41 pm

My bet is the release is going to be Christmas Eve. Apple's present to us all!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]