FORUMS: list search recent posts

Shooting green screen with Sony’s NEX-FS700 and AXS-R5

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bret Williams
Shooting green screen with Sony’s NEX-FS700 and AXS-R5
on Dec 3, 2013 at 8:08:20 pm

We'll be shooting green screen with Sony’s NEX-FS700 and AXS-R5. Recording AVCHD 1080 in camera and RAW 4k on the AXS-R5 recorder. The 4k raw is kind of an experiment, and being recorded just in case we need to cut in to a close up on the footage without losing resolution. I assume we'll have to apply some sort of LUT to the RAW.

I'll likely be doing the effects in After Effects and editing together the composites in FCP X. I also use Premiere Pro CC at times. I could bring the original footage in there and cut, then send off to AE as another option. But since this will be a series of short videos with few shots, I can afford to export each shot/sequence one by one from FCP X. Lot of options.

So, any workflow suggestions or words of wisdom on this? it's a good project where 4k isn't necessary, but we have the opportunity to start delving in so we are more familiar in the future.

Return to posts index

John Davidson
Re: Shooting green screen with Sony’s NEX-FS700 and AXS-R5
on Dec 3, 2013 at 8:13:56 pm

Super interested to hear your results Bret. Did you guys end up buying the AXS-R5? I was going to do it, but I think I'm going to wait to see what shakes out of Blackmagic at NAB this year instead. The FS700 is such a great camera but 10k for a recorder that would turn this camera rig into a bazooka was just too much for me.

John Davidson | President / Creative Director | Magic Feather Inc.

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Dec 3, 2013 at 8:19:16 pm

Well, there's isn't really a "we." I'm the post and a producer & shooter team and in charge of the rest. I believe they're renting the AXS-R5. Can't remember if the FS700 is his camera or rental.

I've read that a con of this setup is the weak in camera AVCHD codec. Anyone have experience on how that keys? I get pretty nice keys with Canon 5D h264 without much trouble from the same studio setup they'll be shooting in so I can't imagine it'll be an issue.

Return to posts index

John Davidson
on Dec 3, 2013 at 8:21:20 pm

I think if you can pull a 5D key with this setup you should be fine. You might be able to shoot it S-log in camera and get a little extra out of the codec.

John Davidson | President / Creative Director | Magic Feather Inc.

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Dec 5, 2013 at 9:32:45 pm

Wasn't this thread a lot larger just a day ago? I know some posts were removed, but the replies to said posts had some info I was going to check out...

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Dec 5, 2013 at 9:37:01 pm

It does look like some things got trimmed.

You'd have to check your email history?

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Dec 5, 2013 at 9:53:30 pm

Good idea. In the meantime, it doesn't look like I'll need the RAW footage, unless I need to do a cut in on a take. But I'm trying to play with the footage. However looks like Sony Raw is still pretty new to the FCP X world. I can certainly use Sony RAW Viewer to convert it to ProRes but only 1080p. Can also export it to a mxf format that FCP X reads, but only 1080p. Premiere can read the RAW file directly, although you have to navigate all the way to the mxf file directly in the media browser. IOW it won't pull up the clips from the card structure. Each clip is in a folder and you have to dig into each folder. After Effects won't read them of course. Looking for something to convert them into 4k ProRes or something. Is there a 4k ProRes? It's green screen, so I'm not looking to grade, but I want the pixels.

In other news, the AVCHD key is looking pretty good in X. Still can't get that motion blur of hands and body parts to key with any transparency without softening or screwing up other parts of the key. Keylight is where it's at for that. X's keyed is great, but it just always has this minute fringe when you see the key on white. That could be the AVCHD or H264 I work with, but KeyLight seems to take care of it.

In even other news, I tried the UltraKey in Premiere on the raw. Better results with the AVCHD in X.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]