FORUMS: list search recent posts

FCPX proxy files - elgato thunderbird SSD -

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
stefan sarazin
FCPX proxy files - elgato thunderbird SSD -
on Dec 1, 2013 at 9:55:05 pm

Hello experts!

I am a total newbie to FCPX and NL video editing, maybe this helps to explain the following "stupid" question?

I have a macbook air 2011 with a measly 120Gb / 4gb Ram and would like to edit a couple of hours (about 140 GB) of Sony EX - 1 footage. (XDCAM MP4)- Because of a sale here I could still get either a 120gb elgato Thunderbolt SSD external drive (or its 24OGb cousin) for a rather cheap 99/199 €. Since my macbook does NOT support USB 3.0 and I would otherwise be stuck with USB 2.0 I reckoned it wouldn't harm to get a fast drive?

Do you think it makes sense to get one of those drives at all and use it as an external disk? All I want is to get 20 minute of film out of the material (not much of effects, just simple editing). Will 240 G disk space be enough for this, when I use proxy media?

As a matter o fact, I don't really understand the Proxy media concept of Final Cut. Does that mean that I can import and use my native material just as proxy media (and hence use a smaller drive) while keeping the original files on another (slower drive) which I then use only later again for exporting? Or does Final Cut ALWAYS have to have access to the original (larger) files?

To cut a long story short, will the rather small 240 GB elgato ssd drive (or maybe even the 120 GB one) suffice for what I want to do (and make the editing experience better because of the speed) - or I am better off getting a slower USB 2.0 disk but with a larger, say 1TB capacity?

Thank you all in advance!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]