FORUMS: list search recent posts

Multiple Bins

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
James Ewart
Multiple Bins
on Dec 1, 2013 at 2:42:15 pm

I'd very much like to be able to have two keyword selections open "side by side".

I have to sync a lot of clips shots with two cameras and for quickly navigating between the two cameras time of day and then adding markers it would really be handy to be able to work my way down the two lists in this "multiple bin" mode.

Is there a way of doing this?

I posted something along these lines before but reading back not sure I made myself clear.

http://www.jamesewart.co.uk

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
Re: Multiple Bins
on Dec 1, 2013 at 4:48:37 pm

[James Ewart] "Is there a way of doing this?"

There's not a way to open them side by side, but you can select both keyword collections and display the contents at the same time.

Return to posts index

James Ewart
on Dec 1, 2013 at 5:43:18 pm

thanks Jeremy...it's a bit rudimentary no?

http://www.jamesewart.co.uk

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Dec 1, 2013 at 10:14:01 pm

[James Ewart] "thanks Jeremy...it's a bit rudimentary no?"

You are trying to sync sets of two clips?

Why not add angle information and then sort by tc?

Return to posts index

James Ewart
on Dec 2, 2013 at 8:52:56 am

Ahh because the two cameras have different times (I know!) of day and I can work it out I just thought it would be simpler to work my way down the lists with them side by side and go by slate number.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Dec 2, 2013 at 3:06:19 pm

Do you mean scene/take?

Why not enter scene/take and sort by that?

Or enter "slate number" and then sort by that.

Where the internal clocks of the cameras similar?

There's many ways to do this, side by side currently isn't one of them unfortunately.

Return to posts index

James Ewart
on Dec 2, 2013 at 3:41:30 pm

That's the thing some stupid idiot (yup!) dd not check the internal clocks on the cameras before the shoot.

Yes I'm marking shot numbers. I'm usually very disciplined with clappers and slats but this was a pilot for a chef who was in a rush so I had to bite the bullet.

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Dec 1, 2013 at 6:12:50 pm

Be even more useful if we could just cut and paste markers out of the timeline index.

On sync clips - mark them once in the first angle - then copy and paste the markers into the second, third, or 22nd angle.

Monster time saver over "copy-paste" - "copy-paste" - "copy-paste" -

Know someone who teaches video editing in elementary school, high school or college? Tell them to check out http://www.StartEditingNow.com - video editing curriculum complete with licensed practice content.

Return to posts index

James Ewart
on Dec 1, 2013 at 6:15:11 pm

wow... what I hit a mark at a certain point n camera 1 and it automatically finds the same point and marks it in camera 2?

from somewhere I thought it needed marks to help it find sync?

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Dec 1, 2013 at 6:34:36 pm

[James Ewart] "from somewhere I thought it needed marks to help it find sync?"

Markers are ONE of the assets that X will look at in attempting to sync two sources - but it's neither necessary or exclusive.

X can use timecode, audio waveforms, clip start frames - a nice variety of sync options. If it sees two clips being synced with markers - that helps it work faster and more accurately (presuming the markers are pretty well placed), but markers are not "required" at all.

Know someone who teaches video editing in elementary school, high school or college? Tell them to check out http://www.StartEditingNow.com - video editing curriculum complete with licensed practice content.

Return to posts index

James Ewart
on Dec 2, 2013 at 4:38:34 pm

Funnily enough I a finding that despite having different angles and camera names my clips are not syncing with the help of markers...

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Dec 2, 2013 at 4:52:52 pm

It can't sync using audio?

Return to posts index

James Ewart
on Dec 2, 2013 at 5:21:37 pm

Nope ...weird...puts the clips in front of each other but I did read somewhere that if it's having problems markers (not super precise) can help and for me they have. No idea why it cant sync with audio alone wit all other settings on auto. Not ti t investigate in detail but adding markers seems to fix it.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Dec 2, 2013 at 5:26:25 pm

In your previous post, you said that markers weren't working…

I am somewhat confused as to what it really going on, but I guess if it's working, then no harm no foul.

http://forums.creativecow.net/readpost/344/25539

Return to posts index

James Ewart
on Dec 2, 2013 at 5:30:15 pm

Sorry classic sloppy typing and a common error with lawyers I apologise. It should have read "NOW syncing with the help of markers".

My solicitor warned me once about this because "w" and "t" are quite close on the keyboard and it's not a typo as such and the implications for them can be far worse. EG "My client is not willing to accept your offer..."

Sorry Jeremy.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Dec 2, 2013 at 6:57:36 pm

Ha!

There's only one letter difference between herpes and heroes.

Return to posts index

Dave Gage
on Dec 2, 2013 at 9:00:38 pm

[Jeremy Garchow] "There's only one letter difference between herpes and heroes."

Interesting. Is there something you wanted to share?

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Dec 2, 2013 at 9:06:08 pm

There's only one letter difference between share and shart?

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Dec 2, 2013 at 9:15:28 pm

Alex, I'll take complex ideas made from one word with just one letter altered...

_ero _ero _ero

Nero zero hero!

(that was fun!)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]