FORUMS: list search recent posts

events consolidation merging and duplicating etc...

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
anita sancha
events consolidation merging and duplicating etc...
on Nov 28, 2013 at 6:46:58 pm

Hi

I consolidated 119 clips because I had just one file on another hard drive... why did FCPX seem to get that file and add it into yet another event with the 119 clips duplicating them? Why does it have to make a copy of the whole lot again? and render again! takes hours. Cant it just add it to the 119 clips?

If I then merge those two events its still missing this one file. I am confused. !!! I may have got it corrupted!!! so maybe just importing the missing file would sort this out. But whats the right way,?

I have been sitting on the web on training files all day and I still don't understand what FCPX is doing!!

Any MORE training videos??... I only want to archive this project!! but the 119 files are 356gb so this duplicating is taking hours. and it seems to want to render each time I experiment.

Also would modify events references have helped.??

Thanks for all your help
Anita Sancha.

http://www.anitasancha.co.uk

Return to posts index

anita sancha
Re: events consolidation merging and duplicating etc...
on Nov 29, 2013 at 10:23:30 am

Hi..

What is the way to consolidate files? I have managed to sort out the project and it has clip files on 4 different events and 3 drives. So what is the proper way to consolidate for archiving without FCPX just creating copies of yet more clips. I am so short of hard drive (project uses 356gb of clips) that it cant combine events into one as it makes yet a further file and then delete the ones it has been told to combine.

Thanks

Thanks for all your help
Anita Sancha.

Return to posts index

anita sancha
on Nov 30, 2013 at 11:10:17 am

Hi...

Well how in a test of modifying consolidating, organising, moving from one drive to another via duplicating and hoping that copying to new event folder would take ALL the clips and (only 1 instance of it)and put it into another drive for archiving do to I get to this image ? with just 2 files in the project used several times by copying from one project to another. Surely it knows that i have only used 2 clips originally.

Thanks for all your help
Anita Sancha.

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Dec 1, 2013 at 6:30:26 pm

Anita,

It's showing those things because those things exist. At some point you had multiple copies of source clips on drives. All X is doing is showing you what the database thinks is actually out there.

The disorganization isn't the result of how X displays the clips - it's in what you're storing on your hard drives and importing into X. X is just doing it's job to display what you've imported.

Not to beat the horse, but this is a huge part of why so many of us use Disk Images and similar cloning strategies. One single "launched clone" with all the assets that X is looking for to populate your Event - is the ideal situation.

Five copies of the same asset that's been "imported" into X from five different locations is not ideal.

The act of "importing" directly affects what's displayed by the database. So the fact that you've imported the same assets more than once isn't the fault of how the program works. It's just doing what you specifically told it to do.

Go into your event browser. Find the extra copies of the asset you don't want to to display - and use the FILE>Move to trash - menu command in X to remove them. This takes them OUT of the database. (DO NOT just go to the finder and trash them - because the FCP-X database will NOT update this way.)

And remember, when you to to remove all but ONE of the asset copies - make sure the one you keep in the one stored in the actual archive you want to keep - meaning that it's where you want to keep ALL your assets for this project. If you have assets referenced in your database from different repositories - and you take a drive off line that it storing SOME of those clips - you'll get Red Offline markers in your Event Browser on ONLY the clips that aren't where the program expects them to be.

I see that sort of asset checkerboard a LOT from people who haven't properly learned the database side of X.

Good luck.

Know someone who teaches video editing in elementary school, high school or college? Tell them to check out http://www.StartEditingNow.com - video editing curriculum complete with licensed practice content.

Return to posts index

anita sancha
on Dec 3, 2013 at 8:10:50 am

Thanks guys for all your input and comments. This has been most appreciated. All the best. I have a multitude of answers and videos to watch. Thank you again. X

Thanks for all your help
Anita Sancha.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]