FORUMS: list search recent posts

External Monitor Pixelated from FCPX

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bryant Mock
External Monitor Pixelated from FCPX
on Nov 26, 2013 at 10:51:33 pm

I have a 2011 MBP running FCPX. I have a BlackMagic Ultrastudio Mini Monitor and an ASUS PA246Q connected as follows:

MBP Thunderbolt out to-
BlackMagic Mini Monitor Thunderbolt in to-
Mini Monitor HDMI out to-
ASUS HDMI in

I am getting very blocky/pixelation for my FCPX timeline in the monitor.

Return to posts index

Nikolas Bäurle
Re: External Monitor Pixelated from FCPX
on Nov 27, 2013 at 10:52:38 am

Check if desktop video is set to NTSC. Sometimes it crashes and defaults to NTSC for some reason.

"Always look on the bright side of life" - Monty Python

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Nov 27, 2013 at 4:51:59 pm

That's not really a standard setup, using a computer monitor as a video editing monitor. Likely the gamma will be off and it wouldn't support fields.

On my Flanders, which is a video monitor, I have a DVI input which can be used for HDMI with an adapter. However I do have to go into the monitor menu and change the DVI type. I think the same would possibly be true for HDMI unless it has some sort of auto detection. It's likely looking for a computer RGB signal, and it needs a YCbCr signal.

Worth digging into the monitor settings if you haven't figured it out already.

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Nov 27, 2013 at 6:30:01 pm

The others above might be totally correct and you may have some monitor settings wrong - but t's also possible that X simply hasn't had time to transcode from it's thumbnail video files into higher rez workng files.

Park you playhead on a frame - and wait a second.

If the shot on your monitor clears up - then you're just looking tX working like it's designed to - which is to get you working instantly - and do the rendering in the background when it has time.

When X fully renders out the timeline, (i.e. when the orange render bar disappears in your storyline) the problem may well disappear.

Know someone who teaches video editing in elementary school, high school or college? Tell them to check out http://www.StartEditingNow.com - video editing curriculum complete with licensed practice content.

Return to posts index

Mathieu Ghekiere
on Nov 29, 2013 at 5:54:31 pm

Also check in the preferences of FCPX if your playback quality is set on High Quality or Better Performance.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]