FORUMS: list search recent posts

Seeing the length of a clip

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Dennis Widmyer
Seeing the length of a clip
on Nov 25, 2013 at 7:34:29 pm

Here's a simple question:

It seems that sometimes, I'm able to select any clip on my timeline, and Final Cut will show me the length of the selected clip at the very bottom of the screen. (on the grey strip at the bottom of the whole interface). Yet, just as often, the selected clip duration doesn't show up there when I select a clip-- instead, it just shows the entire length of the timeline.

How do I get it to just show me the clip duration?

Thank you.

--
Dennis Widmyer
http://www.parallacticpictures.com

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
Re: Seeing the length of a clip
on Nov 25, 2013 at 7:46:56 pm

I use this feature all the time and have never seen what you are explaining if something is selected.

A range has to be selected in order for the selection duration to show up.

If nothing is selected, then nothing shows up.

Return to posts index

Dennis Widmyer
on Nov 25, 2013 at 7:51:44 pm

Something is Off then. Right now, as I'm typing this to you, I have an entire clip selected/ It's highlighted yellow. And at the bottom of the screen, all it's showing me is the total duration of my entire film (timeline). Not the selected clip. Yet ten mins from now, while editing, this feature will randomly start working again. There's gotta be something I'm not doing right here.

--
Dennis Widmyer
http://www.parallacticpictures.com

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Nov 25, 2013 at 7:57:24 pm

If possible, can you show a screengrab?

Return to posts index

Michael Garber
on Nov 25, 2013 at 8:05:39 pm

If you hover over the clip and hit X then you'll select the clip range per Jeremy's suggestion. Does that sore the duration?

Michael Garber
5th Wall - a post production company
Blog: GARBERSHOP
My Moviola Webinar on Cutting News in FCP X

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Nov 27, 2013 at 10:35:24 pm

Also if you highlight the clip and then double click on the timecode readout - the HUD display will switch to asset duration. That also works for selected ranges.

Know someone who teaches video editing in elementary school, high school or college? Tell them to check out http://www.StartEditingNow.com - video editing curriculum complete with licensed practice content.

Return to posts index

TJ Ingrassia
on Dec 22, 2013 at 12:13:38 pm

You're not crazy. I've experienced the same issue ever since switching to FCPX. When highlighting a clip or range of clips, sometimes the status bar at the bottom of the screen shows the length of that selection, other times it stays stuck on the length of the entire Project. Very annoying.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]