FORUMS: list search recent posts

FCP X and Time Machine

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Michael Sanders
FCP X and Time Machine
on Nov 24, 2013 at 6:18:48 pm

The other day in a moment of over excitedness I installed a driver which completely wrecked my system.

It meant reinstalling the OS and for safety I decided to erase and start again. I only lost a tiny bit of stuff but am still reinstalling various pieces of software, plug ins etc.

So with that in mind I want to get a more robust back up system in place for this machine. I've got a Drobo FS which backs up the other non edit machines in the house but was wondering what peoples thoughts are about Time machine on edit computers - specially running FCP X. Will I notice anything major in terms of time lag? Or should I just go the permanently connected drive route and use Carbon Copy Cloner?

I never keep media on here (except as a temporary 3rd location when using SPP) so it's never going to be backing up loads.

Cheers.

Michael

Michael Sanders
London Based DP/Editor

Return to posts index

Claude Lyneis
Re: FCP X and Time Machine
on Nov 24, 2013 at 6:50:05 pm

I found Time Machine got in the way because I needed all the computing power when I was editing. I use a standalone backup program (Super Duper), but not while editing. On the other hand, I didn't pursue all the possibilities with Time Machine.

Return to posts index

Petter Stahre
on Nov 25, 2013 at 9:47:52 am

I'm using Time Machine and I'm very happy with that.

I can't say I notice any particular lag, but when I edit under time pressure I tend to watch if TM is doing a backup and if it is then I'm suspending TM just to make shure.

My impression is that editing gets slightly affected when TM is working, but I haven't done any "scientific test" :)

When Finder copy files on my machine it uses up to 7% of the CPU. I would expect TM to have the same usage as a maximum.

Return to posts index

Nick Toth
on Nov 25, 2013 at 1:00:46 pm

I have Time Machine back up my system drive. I haven't noticed any effect on system performance.

I use Carbon Copy Cloner to back up my media RAID however because I don't necessarily want to back up every single file that is on my media drive. I use Event Manager X and backing up via Time Machine can cause redundant file backups, for instance if it backs up while a project is active and then again when the same project is inactive you get duplicate backups.

It's not automatic but I prefer not to be on automatic when it comes to media files. At the end of the day I use Event Manager X to take all projects and events offline and then back up with CCC.

anickt

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]