FORUMS: list search recent posts

Exporting Files

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ty Ford
Exporting Files
on Nov 24, 2013 at 5:44:35 pm

Hi,

I'm looking for ways to export files that don't seem obvious in choices offered in the export menu.

I've shot 3 to 5 minute pieces in HD and after posting the exporter says mostly they'll be 1 to 7GB!

My client wants me to put them in my dropbox for him to upload to his YouTube account.

Other than him providing me his YouTube password and login, what's the best way (other than using Compressor) to export files from FCP X to dropbox that aren't so large.

Thanks,

Ty Ford

Want better production audio?: Ty Ford's Audio Bootcamp Field Guide
Ty Ford Blog: Ty Ford's Blog

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
Re: Exporting Files
on Nov 24, 2013 at 6:47:41 pm

Use h264 instead of ProRes.

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
on Nov 24, 2013 at 7:28:37 pm

It's a 6 minute piece, when I choose .h264, FCP X say it's 1.7GB. That's precisely what I'm trying to avoid.

Regards,

Ty Ford

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Nov 24, 2013 at 8:49:38 pm

Ty,

(Hi, how are you!)

Compression results are based primarily on three attributes: file length, frame size and codec.

H-264 is among the most efficient modern codecs out there. So it's giving you the smallest file at the best quality - all other things being equal.

You likely can't change the file length (cut it up in sections) - so the only other dimension you can change to get a smaller result is the frame size.

If you're working with a full frame HD original at 1920x1080 - cutting the frame size in half to 960x540 will get you a file that's one quarter of the original size. (half the frame dimensional width AND half the height)

To make the file smaller, you just need to make it smaller.

In FCP-X there are other Share options down to the very small email file encoding that can deliver decent quality at very small file sizes.

But unless you're willing to apply MORE compression, and risk visible artifacts messing up quality of the video. - a smaller raster is the only way to go.

Good luck.

Know someone who teaches video editing in elementary school, high school or college? Tell them to check out http://www.StartEditingNow.com - video editing curriculum complete with licensed practice content.

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
on Nov 24, 2013 at 10:05:31 pm

Bill!

Doing OK this 30 degree day in Baltimore, thanks. How's yourself?

Thanks for the tip, I'm not in front of the beast, but will look for selections with smaller raster.

Regards,

Ty (momentarily lost in FCP X) Ford

PS: Is there any truth to the rumor that FCP X happened as the result of a double date between FCP and Joomla twins?

Return to posts index

Brett Sherman
on Nov 25, 2013 at 3:52:14 am

Good to see another Marylander on here! My workflow is I export a ProRes Quicktime file and then I use Turbo.264 Software Encoder to make my MP4 from that. It's well worth the $50. It's fast and compresses much better at lower bit rates than Apple's encoder. I have a setting that is 720P, 5000Kbps and I rarely see an artifact.

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Nov 26, 2013 at 4:32:12 pm

[Ty Ford] "Bill!

Doing OK this 30 degree day in Baltimore, thanks. How's yourself?

Thanks for the tip, I'm not in front of the beast, but will look for selections with smaller raster.

Regards,

Ty (momentarily lost in FCP X) Ford

PS: Is there any truth to the rumor that FCP X happened as the result of a double date between FCP and Joomla twins?
"

Ha!

I refuse to discuss weather from Scottsdale. It just makes people mad at this time of the year. (Plus, then they have to taunt me when it's a zillion degrees here through August - so it's a no-win deal.)

Smaller raster is fine, also I presume you're encoding to H-264? If not, that will probably fix it and both YouTube and Vimeo support it. Try that first.

The real X origin story is simpler and more profound.

The guy who wrote most of the code for the original Adobe Premier - was hired by Apple to fix the Final Draft program they bought from Macromedia back at the NLE dawn of time. That turned into the original Final Cut Pro. Which sold a couple of million copies and changed editing for the better. Fast forward a decade or so - and Apple gives Randy a blank check and tells him to write a totally new ground up video editing app for the modern file-based age. He works out his ideas on the canvas of iMovie as he develops new concepts built around how he believes people will be editing in the future - and knowing precisely what kinds of hardware will be the table - thanks to his "inside" position as the chief NLE architect at arguably the most innovative computer company in the world.

As they are worked out and proven to be effective, those ideas get leveraged into the new professional editing tool - FCP-X.

It's the beginnings of a pretty exciting story, IMO.

And that story means it's less a "date" than it's a long black limousine pulling up with the software version of Jennifer Lawrence or Chris Helmsworth inside - and asking you if you want to go along on an adventure?

: )

Know someone who teaches video editing in elementary school, high school or college? Tell them to check out http://www.StartEditingNow.com - video editing curriculum complete with licensed practice content.

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Nov 25, 2013 at 5:47:33 am

A 6min 1080p h264 at 75% quality should run closer to 450-500Mb, not 1.7 Gb by any means.

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Nov 25, 2013 at 5:52:10 am

Actually, looking at some of my current uploads, my 2 pass vbr, 75% quality vids at 1080p24 are 3 min and just under 100Mb.

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
on Nov 25, 2013 at 1:07:27 pm

Thanks Bill, Bret and Brett,

as a disclaimer, my deep background is audio. I've only been working with video for about 7 years. Most of it with an XL2.

Maybe because I'm shooting 35 mbps HD Quicktime mpeg2. I have a new JVC HM650 and maybe am overdoing it to get the highest possible quality. It does offer h.264. I can't put my fingers on the h.264 data rate at the moment.

In audio, any data compression is a bad thing. Maybe I'm being overzealous about that.

I was hoping that Apple's Compressor had been tuned up for FCP X, but apparently not. I always found it a but strange. Thanks for the ip about turbo.264 Brett. I take a look at that.

Thanks a lot!

Ty Ford
Cow Audio Forum Leader

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Nov 25, 2013 at 4:51:16 pm

That file size seems high for a 6min piece. It seems to be just under 5MB/sec. What setting are you using?

Without Compressor, FCPX does not give you much control.

There are three things that control file size, and that's data rate, data rate, and data rate.

Fcpx has some nominal control in drop down menus (Web Hosting, etc), but it does not allow direct data rate adjustment, Compressor does.

You can suggest a combined audio and video data rate from run time and a target file size.

For example, let's say you want your file to be 200MBs.

Your run time is 360 seconds.

Let's say your audio data rate is 128 kbps. For 6 minutes, that means the audio alone will be:

128kbps * 360 seconds = 46,068 kb which is roughly 6MB.

This leaves 194 MBs to throw at the video.

194MB/360seconds = .54MB/sec

.54MBsec = 4320 kb/sec.

4320 is the number you would plug in to the data rate field in compressor.

You can then save the preset you make in Compressor and use it right from FCPX.

Of course, if your file length changes, so will your file size.

Compressor also has an "automatic" data rate setting where you use a slider to determine quality. It takes a lot more trial and error to get something that looks decent and has a smaller file size. Apple's h264 encoder isn't great at lower data rates.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Nov 26, 2013 at 4:37:37 pm

While Jeremy is perfectly correct in all of this - and every video pro should be able to work this way - for someone who just wants to get great looking video out the door for a client who's putting it on a video server like YouTube, - just use the YouTube preset.

Honestly, it's a simple share file option.

You can even "one-click" post it to your own YouTube account from within X, and just let the client download a copy of that file for their own site.

This doesn't have to be difficult. That's the point of presets, after all.

FWIW.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]