FORUMS: list search recent posts

Project Timeline Not Connected to Event Lib/Browser

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
joe zabrosky
Project Timeline Not Connected to Event Lib/Browser
on Nov 22, 2013 at 3:23:05 am

My question can be watched by

IF THE LINK ABOVE DOESN'T WORK SIMPLY COPY THIS URL INTO YOUR ADDRESS BAR AND IT WILL TAKE YOU TO THE VIDEO:

THANKS

joseph zabrosky

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
Re: Project Timeline Not Connected to Event Lib/Browser
on Nov 22, 2013 at 3:48:07 am

That icon is not a missing media icon, rather it's a missing filter icon.

Are you missing any templates or filters? Click one of the clips and check the inspector.

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Nov 22, 2013 at 4:31:05 am

Beat me to it. Right there in the inspector it says he's missing hundreds of effects. And when he tries to relink and chooses missing files, there aren't any listed.

So Joe, you're missing the effects on the files. It's kinda nuts, but if an effect is missing it still leaves it in the inspector and you'll have to turn it off to see the clip. That's it. Your media is just fine. The connections are perfect. Look over there in that inspector window when you're in the project library.

Return to posts index

joe zabrosky
on Nov 22, 2013 at 4:53:32 am

Thanks, but do you know how to turn the effects off? and if i turn them off then I lose the finished project with the effect. Is there a way to search and find the effects?

The files with effects that aren't showing up in the timeline, many show up in the browser with all of the effects in place and they are .mov files for the most part which makes it even more weird in that how is fcpx separating an effect from a .mov file? Thanks for your help, joe

joseph zabrosky

Return to posts index

joe zabrosky
on Nov 22, 2013 at 4:42:45 am

thanks man, good point.

When i click on the project timeline it says 473 missing effects and 2 missing transitions. the effects must be referring to filters. do you know how to search for effects/filters?

I'm totally new to fcpx. when i click on a red clip in the browser a lot of them come up as compound clips which i was told to search for in a smart folder but couldn't find it. I understand what a compound clip is and it would seem that probably the 473 missing effects or some of them would be in the compound clips. What would you recommend from here? Thanks for your help. joe

joseph zabrosky

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Nov 22, 2013 at 4:55:09 am

Where did this project come from? Was anything ever online or are you taking over someone else's work?

What happens if you remove one missing effect in the inspector?

Click one clip, open inspector, find video tab, find effect and turn it off.

I can't see the details in your movie (I'm on my phone) so you will have to tell me what is missing.

Return to posts index

joe zabrosky
on Nov 22, 2013 at 5:23:24 am
Last Edited By joe zabrosky on Nov 22, 2013 at 5:37:35 am

I'm taking over a project. I have no experience in fcpx, was trying to first get all my files in the timeline and then do some tutorials on fcpx. When i click on the first video file that's marked red on timeline it has no denotation regarding filters in the inspector. i know that this clip and many of the others in red are .mov files with all effects exported into 422s or 4444s. this is why i don't understand why it would be marked red with missing filters. thanks, joe

Actually, i was wrong. the above response was when i clicked on the clip in the browser - no effect tab came up. but when i clicked on the first clip in the timeline the effect tab came up in inspector. i turned all effects off and the clip was still red in the timeline.

joseph zabrosky

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Nov 22, 2013 at 6:02:05 am

Is that a compound clip? You'll need to open the compound clip and turn off any missing effects.

Unfortunately there isn't an easy way to identify exactly what effects (yes filters are effects) are missing. But what it means is that there are plugins missing basically. So if you've got the timeline from someone or it's some tutorial, you need to install any required plugins. Something that huge hardly seems like a tutorial, so I'm guessing you got it from someone. Ask them what plugins they used.

Return to posts index

Andreas Kiel
on Nov 22, 2013 at 11:22:02 am

Joe,

You can download my app myFiles (http://www.spherico.com/filmtools/myFiles/)
Open your projects CurrentVersion.fcpproject with this app.
It will list all files used. Once opened with "Project Details" you will find a list of used effects.

- Andreas

Spherico
http://www.spherico.com/filmtools
X-Files Pro, tools for working with FCPX
http://www.spherico.com/filmtools/X-Files/index.html

"He who fights with monsters should be careful lest he thereby
become a monster. And if thou gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will
also gaze into thee." - Friedrich Nietzsche, Beyond Good and Evil

Return to posts index

joe zabrosky
on Nov 23, 2013 at 12:47:45 am

Thanks for your help Andreas. I'm going to give that app a run. Appreciate it.

joseph zabrosky

Return to posts index

joe zabrosky
on Nov 26, 2013 at 9:44:46 pm

Andreas,

Thanks for sending the app. - cool.

My present project was originally in the hands of another editor on a different mac. With that in mind
when I open the Project Details in your app and see the Effects Paths am I looking at the original paths from the former editor that he had on his computer or does it only show present paths on the computer and external HDDs I'm presently operating on.

Reason I ask is because I can see the exact Missing Effect that fcpx points out in your app but I cannot find the path on my computer or external drives. On the contrary when I look at all the EVent files Found and Not Found from your app I can find them all on my external HDD.

If I see the Missing Effect path in your App that fcpx points out does it mean that path is on my present mac or externals?

Thanks! joe

joseph zabrosky

Return to posts index

Andreas Kiel
on Nov 28, 2013 at 1:15:29 pm

Joe,

The file paths which are displayed are the original ones which are saved in your event or project SQL.
So you have to ask the original editor to send you the needed effects (in case they are free otherwise you have to buy them).
Effects can't be installed on drives other than the boot drive – they are located either in you user folder or in the application support folder in the /library.

- Andreas

Spherico
http://www.spherico.com/filmtools
X-Files Pro, tools for working with FCPX
http://www.spherico.com/filmtools/X-Files/index.html

"He who fights with monsters should be careful lest he thereby
become a monster. And if thou gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will
also gaze into thee." - Friedrich Nietzsche, Beyond Good and Evil

Return to posts index

joe zabrosky
on Nov 23, 2013 at 12:46:48 am

Thanks Brett. I've sent the request for the plugins used to the former editor. Appreciate your help

joseph zabrosky

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Nov 22, 2013 at 4:57:55 pm

Now that I can see on a real monitor, you have a bunch of missing effects, as has been mentioned.

It looks like there's something called "GH 8p Garbage Matt v0a" and a transition called "CROSSFADE".

Here's a screengrab from your recording:

My guess is that these might be home brewed Motion Templates that aren't on your machine.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

joe zabrosky
on Nov 23, 2013 at 12:45:17 am

Thank you Jeremy. I appreciate it. i'm looking into it

joseph zabrosky

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]