FORUMS: list search recent posts

Why did my iPhone film like this? What's wrong and how can I correct it?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
James Veitch
Why did my iPhone film like this? What's wrong and how can I correct it?
on Nov 19, 2013 at 9:37:11 pm

Hey people.
So here is some footage from my iPhone taken in a church.

Obviously iPhone is confused by the white balance or some such. Doesn't seem to be a problem with the focus though I could be wrong.

Any idea what causes it and how I can best fix it in fcpx?

I have some creative license with the edit so I could de-saturate etc.

Could it be a rolling shutter?
As ever all your input greatly appreciated.

IMG 2198 from James Veitch on Vimeo.

https://vimeo.com/79828715

James

Return to posts index

James Cude
Re: Why did my iPhone film like this? What's wrong and how can I correct it?
on Nov 19, 2013 at 10:02:12 pm

Looks like you broke the compression with too much contrast etc. Moire + compression artifacts etc. This unfortunately is a good example of what separates a phone with a camera on it from a video camera.

Return to posts index

John Fishback
on Nov 19, 2013 at 10:37:02 pm

To fix it up I'd grab the best looking still of the window area, track the window with Slice X or in Motion or AE and matte in the still. That way you lose the flicker.

John

MacPro 8-core 2.8GHz, 16 GB RAM, OS 10.8.4, QT10.1, Kona 3, Dual Cinema 23, ATI Radeon HD 5870, 24" TV-Logic Monitor, ATTO ExpressSAS R380 RAID Adapter, PDE enclosure with 8-drive 6TB RAID 5
FCS 3 (FCP 7.0.3, Motion 4.0.3, Comp 3.5.3, DVDSP 4.2.2, Color 1.5.3)
FCP-X 10.0.9, Motion 5.0.7, Compressor 4.0.7

Pro Tools HD 10 w SYNC IO & 192 Digital I/O, Yamaha DM1000, Millennia Media HV-3C, Neumann U87, Schoeps Mk41 mics, Genelec DSP Monitors, Prima CDQ120 ISDN

Return to posts index

Charlie Austin
on Nov 20, 2013 at 12:51:07 am

Yeah, window blowing out and the AE is trying to compensate... FYI, you can override AE/AF on an iPhone by tapping and holding the area you want to expose/focus for...

http://www.imore.com/daily-tip-aeaf-lock-iphones-camera-ios-5

-------------------------------------------------------------

~"It is a poor craftsman who blames his tools."~
~"The function you just attempted is not yet implemented"~

Return to posts index

James Veitch
on Nov 20, 2013 at 1:34:50 pm

great ideas! I didn't know you could HOLD on the iPhone to keep the exposure the same.
I just tapped. Will hold next time.

I'm not 100% sure how to get the motion in After Effects but I may give that a go. However the footage isn't that precious; I can make it black and white and, perhaps, find a filter to stop it popping so much. Or so obviously.

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Nov 21, 2013 at 2:28:25 pm

Looking at the vid, the exposure never changes. I don't think the focus changes either, but whatever is happening it actually happens to the whole frame. Cover the window area and you'll see the exposure doesn't change, but the abberation still occurs across the rest of the image. I think it's either a strange vibration or a compression oddity. But it could be a focus issue. However my iPhone doesn't focus that erratically or that fast for that matter.

And as others have mentioned, yes if you tap and hold on an area you'll see a little "af/ae lock" phrase at the bottom of the screen. And in my testing, it also holds white balance.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]