FORUMS: list search recent posts

Share from Event?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bret Williams
Share from Event?
on Nov 15, 2013 at 5:06:03 pm

Have we always been able to share (export) from the event? I haven't had much need for it, but thought that you could only export from the project in the past.

Return to posts index

T. Payton
Re: Share from Event?
on Nov 15, 2013 at 5:42:09 pm

Actually you have always been able to share from an event, at least since 10.0.2 which is when I made this tutorial:

http://library.creativecow.net/articles/payton_t/FCPX_Custom-Resolution-Tim...

Man I need to update that tutorial. Works a bit different in 10.0.6 and on. I'm hoping that workaround won't be needed after December.

------
T. Payton
OneCreative, Albuquerque

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Nov 15, 2013 at 5:46:02 pm

The only use I've been able to find for EB sharing is the rare times I want to email copies of compound clips such as title stacks to clients for approval.

Outside that, I just don't use it much.

And I'm leary of users who try to use the EB as a storage house for "finished" work. Seems to me that's precisely what the Project Library is there for.

FWIW

Know someone who teaches video editing in elementary school, high school or college? Tell them to check out http://www.StartEditingNow.com - video editing curriculum complete with licensed practice content.

Return to posts index

Charlie Austin
on Nov 15, 2013 at 11:35:39 pm

[Bill Davis] "And I'm leary of users who try to use the EB as a storage house for "finished" work. Seems to me that's precisely what the Project Library is there for."

I tend to agree, not of being "leery" of anyone, but of using not CC's as projects. They're not the same. And based on the iMovie sleuthing flying around, if I was cutting everything in CC's, I'd start converting anything I needed to move into the next version of X into actual Projects. If the organization stays the same, no biggie, you still have your CC's. If it changes, it might make the transition a little less complicated... or maybe it doesn't make a difference, I guess we'll see soon enough. :-)

-------------------------------------------------------------

~"It is a poor craftsman who blames his tools."~
~"The function you just attempted is not yet implemented"~

Return to posts index

T. Payton
on Nov 15, 2013 at 11:48:16 pm
Last Edited By T. Payton on Nov 15, 2013 at 11:48:57 pm

I agree, editing in CC is not a good idea unless it is a really simple edit. Anything that is going to add extra data to the event database I would try to avoid.

From what I have seen Compound Clips do not appear to be the container for timelines in iMovie 2013. Timelines have their own database, contained within an Event structure rather than in a project structure. Very smart on Apple's part.

Here is an example the event is called "stock" and you can see the two timelines I made. I named the timelines clearly so you could see the difference.

Also iMovie database files appear to be much more efficient. I recreated a few events from FCP, and they are about half the size in iMovie.

There are good things to come.

------
T. Payton
OneCreative, Albuquerque

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Nov 17, 2013 at 12:33:32 am

This kinda has me excited now.

I'm thinking of how Apples standard practice is to create a thing - then relentlessly refine it to make it smaller, more polished, faster in operation, and larger in capacity.

While I know some people are looking primarily for new "features" in X, I would be delighted if we get some new program capabilities (the more polished thing) in conjunction with increased performance (faster internal operations).

Some people use or don't use features in their work - but EVERYEONE benefits when a program functions smoothly, consistently, and quickly!

If there are folks inside apple dedicated to simply refining the code for extra performance in the same operations we have now - that would be outstanding, in my view.

Know someone who teaches video editing in elementary school, high school or college? Tell them to check out http://www.StartEditingNow.com - video editing curriculum complete with licensed practice content.

Return to posts index

James Ewart
on Nov 17, 2013 at 4:28:16 am

Making a CC is a really handy way of creating a quick backup before trying something out rather than going back to project library and duplicating etc.

Because of advice received here I avoid doing it habitually but I find it rather intuitive to have previous versions in my event browser that I can have instant access to should I need them.

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Nov 18, 2013 at 3:40:45 pm

Well, in my case it was exporting individual clips for use in a Motion template drop zones in Motion. It would be nice if I could use the template right in X. I did, the first go round. But Apple's lack of an open in motion command made this a poor decision. The client wanted changes to the look of the template as well as some changes to the clips. Since I can't open the instance of the template in motion and round trip it, and changes made to the template in motion don't propagate back to instances already on the timeline I opted to do the work fully in motion this time, in case the client had any more changes I wouldn't have to start from scratch again. Currently, Apple does support editing a template, then replacing the old template and retaining any custom published text, but it doesn't support the drop zones when replacing a template.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]