FORUMS: list search recent posts

match frame after linking to a new event

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Georg P. Mueller
match frame after linking to a new event
on Nov 13, 2013 at 5:46:54 am

Hi Guys,

I used sync-n-link to sync audio and video and it created a new synched event. I already had a project with a rough cut based on the original (pre-synched) event. I wanted the new audio in so I relinked my project clips to the synched event.

So far so good. But I still don't have the synced audio in my timeline. I tried to match frame/overwrite all the cuts to add the new audio tracks. No go. I can't match frame from the timeline to the new event.

Anybody has a solution for me?

Georg

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
Re: match frame after linking to a new event
on Nov 13, 2013 at 12:33:51 pm

I don't think it works that way.

You started the cut with different instances of media.

Then, using sync-n-link, you created what is essentially new clips with added media components. Match frame would take you to the original elements, not the new ones.

Next time, sync first then edit. For now, I think you'll have to manually replace.

Return to posts index

Georg P. Mueller
on Nov 14, 2013 at 3:00:22 am

Hi Jeremy

I was afraid that this was so... I actually did that, synched before editing. But I ended up with considerably less clips in the synched event than in the original event (the sync report indicated that some clips could not be linked). Under time pressure and worried about missing important shots I started cutting away from the original event (with the director breathing over my shoulder) assuming I could re-link to the sync files later - but obviously was mistaken.

The funny thing is that I COULD relink the clips in my project to the synched event just fine. But the match frame thingy doesn't work. The old version of sync-n-link allowed to synch an edited sequence at the end of an editing process so the editor could work with camera audio instead of having to deal with multiple audio tracks. FCX keeps all audio tidy in one "track", thus they did not include this feature in the X version.

Stupid and very basic question: How best to go about replacing each clips in a project? How can I efficiently copy the TC in and out from the project clip and paste it to the corresponding clip in the synched event? So far I am doing it manually but it takes at least as long as the original editing process... How did they call it? Taking the boring stuff out of editing...

Thanks!

Georg

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Nov 14, 2013 at 3:35:19 am

I see. Yes, fcpx does not have post edit sync capabilities quite yet.

Copying tc isn't possible.

Control-p is a "go to" tc function.

So you have to find the tc of the bad clip. Find the new clip. Hit control-p and then enter tc, add in point.

It sucks.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Georg P. Mueller
on Nov 14, 2013 at 4:12:44 am

Thanks for the answer. You're right, it sucks. ctrl+p is great and it would be even greater if it let me paste a timecode - but I have to type it manually..

Anyway, half way through now. Next time I know!

Georg

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Nov 14, 2013 at 4:36:59 am

I have remapped control-p to the enter key and the numpad.

It works well for me.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]