FORUMS: list search recent posts

Lots of crashes

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
James Ewart
Lots of crashes
on Nov 12, 2013 at 2:18:46 pm

Working in a proxy timeline.

If I have a still image (jpeg) as a connected clip with dip to colour dissolves either end of the clip, if I start messing about with Ken Burns crops too much it crashes.

Time and time again.

Run repair disk permissions and trashed preferences (again).

Corrupted render files? I hope not as I have already thrown them away once and had to do all those moves and redone all my crops and transforms.

Only 8 gig RAM on a iMac.

Am I too lightweight?

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
Re: Lots of crashes
on Nov 12, 2013 at 4:56:02 pm

I have 32gigs and certain things in X (templates for example) can suck it all up. I've watched the ram monitor when it gets sluggish and watch the available ram drop from 10gigs to a few hundred Megs and then crash soon after. It's like its memory management is non existent

Return to posts index

David Eaks
on Nov 13, 2013 at 10:49:54 am

I feel like I remember some talk about one thing or another causing problems with ken burns, I just can't recall.

On the other hand, I've somewhat retrained my command-s save instinct to be command-q. Yes, suddenly quit FCPX after working for a while. My trigger being any slight hang or hiccup, after it becomes responsive again I quit then reopen. Maybe a reboot, if its necessary. Seems pretty effective in avoiding unexpected quits in general.

Return to posts index

David Eaks
on Nov 13, 2013 at 11:06:28 am

James, try removing the transitions from the clip before working with the ken burns effect. It seems that transitions on a secondary storyline could be the main culprit of the Ken Burns crash bug.

Return to posts index

James Ewart
on Nov 13, 2013 at 1:00:48 pm

Actually the behaviour of connected clips when dissolves are added somewhat puzzles me - they automatically become Secondary Storylines (with a "shelf") and if I select the clip and delete it leaves the dissolves there as connected dissolves.

If I lasso the clip and the dissolves obviously it deletes the lot but strange that it thinks I might have use for a dissolve sitting there on its own.

A bit odd?

http://www.jamesewart.co.uk

Return to posts index

David Eaks
on Nov 13, 2013 at 1:10:59 pm

It is a bit strange to leave behind two transitions with no media between them, but I guess fcpx treats the transitions as something you put there, so you have to delete it if you want it gone. Just for the integrity of "not doing something I didn't say to do", you know?

I'd use cut to remove the transitions, then paste them back on after finishing with Ken Burns.

You can also click the "shelf" to highlight and delete all of a secondary storyline same as lassoing.

Return to posts index

James Ewart
on Nov 13, 2013 at 5:02:40 pm

I can't paste a transition onto a connected clip or secondary storyline...just puts it into the primary storyline.

Return to posts index

Simon Ubsdell
on Nov 13, 2013 at 5:08:17 pm

[James Ewart] "I can't paste a transition onto a connected clip or secondary storyline...just puts it into the primary storyline."

Turn your connected clip into secondary storyline first (Cmd+G) and then you can copy and paste (or option drag) as you wish to copy transitions.

Simon Ubsdell
http://www.tokyo-uk.com

Return to posts index

James Ewart
on Nov 13, 2013 at 7:19:15 pm

Thanks

Return to posts index

David Eaks
on Nov 13, 2013 at 11:15:16 am

James says "Corrupted render files? I hope not as I have already thrown them away once and had to do all those moves and redone all my crops and transforms."

How did deleting render files make you have to redo moves/crops etc? That's not right.

Return to posts index

James Ewart
on Nov 13, 2013 at 12:17:22 pm

I wondered about that...it was late so pilot error probably the cause of that one.
Thanks for confirming my suspicions about Ken Burns and dissolves....bit of a pain having to delete the dissolves before making changes but I can see how a dissolve could be a bit confusing for a key frame .

Return to posts index

David Eaks
on Nov 13, 2013 at 1:26:15 pm

James says- "I wondered about that..."

Are you deleting renders by choosing "delete render files" from the FCPX menu? Or doing it yourself in Finder?

Return to posts index

James Ewart
on Nov 13, 2013 at 3:23:34 pm

Delete render files within FCPX.

And something weird happened but I think I had been using Transform in conjunction with Ken Burns and may well have messed things up prior to the crash and then trashed prefs and render files and put two and two together and made three. Then I stupidly put it down to trashing the render files, which, with hindsight, was a bit dumb.

I think the problem was there already or was caused by the crash itself. With hindsight the latter is also more likely.

Thanks everyone.

All this learning gets a bit tiring. Off to see Gravity in 3D!

Return to posts index

Simon Ubsdell
on Nov 13, 2013 at 2:21:36 pm

[James Ewart] "If I have a still image (jpeg) as a connected clip with dip to colour dissolves either end of the clip, if I start messing about with Ken Burns crops too much it crashes."

Make sure your still image is only as large as it needs to be (in terms of frame size not file size) to give you enough resolution for your Ken Burns effect.

With your modest 8GB of RAM (on the low side for running X smoothly) you could well run into issues with transform effects on oversize images.

Simon Ubsdell

Return to posts index

James Ewart
on Nov 13, 2013 at 2:27:58 pm

Thanks that's a good point.

To be fair when I have the option to optimise and create proxies before importing stills I never bother thinking it's pointless to do so.

But maybe it isn't!

Return to posts index

Simon Ubsdell
on Nov 13, 2013 at 2:47:31 pm

[James Ewart] "To be fair when I have the option to optimise and create proxies before importing stills I never bother thinking it's pointless to do so. "

This doesn't actually reduce the size of stills which will still come in at their full size - you can check them in the Inspector to be sure.

Simon Ubsdell

Return to posts index

James Ewart
on Nov 13, 2013 at 2:55:30 pm

Hmm... okay shot on aCanon 5D at 60FPS... wow this guy was shooting 60FPS for his stills? I have heard some fashion photographers shoot like this.

Anyway frame size is 5578 by 3719.

Hmm...you think that might be a problem?

Return to posts index

Simon Ubsdell
on Nov 13, 2013 at 3:03:23 pm

[James Ewart] "Anyway frame size is 5578 by 3719.

Hmm...you think that might be a problem?"

That's a lot of pixels to push around.

20,744,582 to be precise.

Whereas your 1920x1080 video is only 2,073,600 - a tenth of the size.

I seriously would recommend shrinking your still images to something more manageable if you are able - if you don't have Photoshop, Preview will do an adequate job.

Simon Ubsdell

Return to posts index

James Ewart
on Nov 13, 2013 at 3:17:44 pm

Thanks a useful tip even if there is some bug with connected clips and dissolves.

Preview is coincidentally something I have been using increasingly on this job

First to "fix" the black from the sloppy designers who send me artwork that is not true black and now to quickly adjust the size. Hey it even helps by having presets for 720 and 1080 timelines.

Never used it much before except as the "thing" that opened "things".

Regards

James

Return to posts index

James Ewart
on Nov 13, 2013 at 5:16:15 pm

Incidentally I have no crashed now if I delete the dissolves before applying or changing Ken Burns so for sure it is the dissolves that is the cause of the problem.

Return to posts index

James Ewart
on Nov 16, 2013 at 12:07:20 pm

On another forum where this bug is well documented I stumbled across (Apple) somebody suggested to me that the Alex4D Smooth move (free) is a better way to go - having downloaded it I must agree.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]