FORUMS: list search recent posts

X has lost it's mind

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bret Williams
X has lost it's mind
on Nov 12, 2013 at 5:25:38 am

X has lost it. It's still functioning, but some weird things are happening. I can no longer turn snapping or scrubbing on or off. Both are locked on. Proxy playback mode will not invoke. And I can't reset X. I have thrown the prefs away, emptied the trash, and shut down the computer and turned it back on an not a preference has been reset. It's like it has decided to file prefs away somewhere else. I have preference mgr and can trash them through it and same problem. Should I just reinstall X at this point?

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
Re: X has lost it's mind
on Nov 12, 2013 at 6:00:35 am

If I sign in as a guest, all the above work fine. And I was finally able to delta prefs, but that didn't change any of the problems with no proxy mode, and the inability to turn off scrubbing and snapping. So something is wrong with my acct on my computer. Suggestions?

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
on Nov 12, 2013 at 10:01:53 am

Re-install would be my first choice.

Steve Connor

There's nothing we can't argue about on the FCPX COW Forum

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Nov 12, 2013 at 10:05:09 am

I thought that might be a suggestion. That's right. I'm up at 5am. It takes awhile to finish an edit when you can't turn snapping on and off!

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
on Nov 12, 2013 at 11:17:15 am

Sometimes something just get's broken somewhere. I had an issue where I couldn't import footage from BPAV folders, despite a re-install and completely trashing prefs it would never work under my main user account. If I set up a new one it worked fine!

Steve Connor

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Nov 12, 2013 at 12:15:11 pm

What OS are you on. Did you throw the lock file away too?

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Nov 12, 2013 at 12:47:50 pm

I've also hit some quirkiness with X and 10.8.5. This appears to be an issue due to a corrupt home user account on my Mac Pro. When I logged into a clean "test" account, the quirkiness went away. You may have the same issue and reinstalling the OS or FCP X will likely not fix it. Test this by creating a new user account, log in and run X. If it functions normally then that's your problem. The fix will mean either creating a new user account and trashing the old one or a complete CLEAN reinstall of all of your software.

Oliver

Oliver Peters Post Production Services, LLC
Orlando, FL
http://www.oliverpeters.com

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
on Nov 12, 2013 at 1:00:21 pm

[Oliver Peters] " or a complete CLEAN reinstall of all of your software."

I did a complete system level up re-install recently, it took quite a while to do, but it was well worth it. Everything seems much quicker now.

Steve Connor

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Nov 12, 2013 at 5:23:00 pm

Guest acct works fine. Just doesn't have all my plugins and templates. So I make a new admin acct, and merge over all my iPhoto and iTunes libraries, etc. (all externally linked anyway) and I'm good to go? I may just start from scratch with a clean install of ML or Mavericks.

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Nov 12, 2013 at 10:35:20 pm

[Bret Williams] "So I make a new admin acct, and merge over all my iPhoto and iTunes libraries, etc. (all externally linked anyway) and I'm good to go? "

Depends. You might want to read through this.

http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-13727_7-57437548-263/how-to-rebuild-a-user-acc...

- Oliver

Orlando, FL

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Nov 13, 2013 at 1:10:35 am

Well I did just what the article suggested. Deleted my admin acct and left the user folder. Then recreated the admin acct and reused the user folder. The problem still existed. But none of the problems exist in the new acct I had to create just to delete the old acct. Nor do they occur in the guest acct. So the problem exists in the acct. And it exists in my home folder since out of the 3 users, that is the only part of the system, minus the OS, that is old. And the other 2 acts are accessing the system as well so by scientific method, I need to create a new user and migrate stuff over until the problem pops up again.

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Nov 13, 2013 at 1:19:31 am

[Bret Williams] "I need to create a new user and migrate stuff over until the problem pops up again."

At this point it may be more efficient to wipe the drive and do a clean install. I know that's a huge PITA, especially if you have to deactivate and then reactivate/re-authorize various apps and plug-ins. Unfortunately you may do the migration thing and still be right back in the same position. The "good news" is that a clean install gives you time to evaluate the apps you really need. Buy a new SATA or SSD, do a clean install to that and save to current boot drive as a back-up.

- Oliver

Orlando, FL

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Nov 12, 2013 at 5:20:10 pm

I've never had the lock file. It always says you may or may not have it. Never have.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Nov 12, 2013 at 5:23:02 pm

As mentioned, a reinstall is sounding like it might be in order.

Is this a Mavericks system? Was it a ground up rebuild or just an update?

Return to posts index

David Eaks
on Nov 13, 2013 at 10:25:43 am

Well I don't have a solution, or even any real input regarding your specific problem. But, as they say, "An once of prevention..."

Over the last few years of reading posts here on the COW, I've developed a nice method to maintain a "clean" editing system. Yup, it involves doing a clean install.

I keep two SSDs for my system drive, one sits on the shelf and one is in use. When ever it's time for a major OS or NLE update, I'll format the drive from the shelf and do a clean install WITHOUT transferring any data from a previous user. Then what was my current system drive, which is usually working just fine, goes on the shelf and is available in case there was something I needed on it that I forgot about or something gets screwed up because of the new software update. This drive cycling doesn't replace the need to keep an up-to-date backup, but it's nice to have a frozen in time "last known working" system drive ready to go if it's ever needed.

Obviously this means I do a fair amount of complete clean installs. To simplify the process I keep all my installer disc images (like all of Final Cut Studio 3 which installs in 40 minutes with one click, opposed to 4 hrs of of waiting to insert next disc seven times), downloaded apps, drivers, plugins, custom templates, user presets etc. organized in one master "All Install Files" folder and all the license keys in a text document. This folder lives on my current media drive, always there to install from or add new purchases to, regardless of what system drive is in use. Some things like Firefox or Event Manager X, I'll still download and install the newest version instead of installing an old version that will just need an update right away. Other things like my custom presets for FCPXs audio Compressor filter, the location is hidden way deep in some place I can't remember and the location doesn't even exist unless you've created at least one custom preset. So you have to go make a temporary preset, then open the preset location, then place your backed up setting in there.

As Oliver said, this is a great opportunity to re-evaluate what you really need on your system. Also, keeping your old system drive is great in case you didn't deactivate something like Event Manager X or iTunes "authorize this computer". When I do a clean install I'll only install the necessities and absolute favorites, then any little extras can easily be installed on the fly as needed. For me, a clean install is now a freakishly simple mindless task, of essentially: double-click, enter, enter, type password, copy/paste license key, repeat, repeat. Actually the worst part might be the Mac App Store, because I have to download to install. I wish they'd let me save the installer for the pro apps, like OS X allows.

Of course none of this happens until I've tested my workflow with the new software version and critical drivers, on a second partition of my secondary Mac and there is a general approval of the update on the forums. I'm currently on 10.8.4 and 10.0.9, been testing Mavericks since Dev preview and probably won't have it on my main system until I have a new Mac Pro Tube and FCPX 10.1, so very soon.

Return to posts index

Krzysztof Szychowski
on Nov 12, 2013 at 12:26:37 pm

Hello

Did you perchance recently install some Audio Units? I have had odd behaviour in FCPX with certain AU plugins.......removal solved the problem. (Specifically AU's created using the JUCE framework)

K

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Nov 12, 2013 at 5:24:37 pm

No audio units. I have a couple templates/plugins an sliceX.

Return to posts index

Craig Alan
on Nov 13, 2013 at 2:54:11 am

you might try disk warrior on system drive. i've had user accounts get corrupted before. on fcp 7 systems.

Mac Pro, macbook pro, Imacs (i7); Camcorders: Panasonic AG-HPX170/AG-HPX250P, Canon HV30/40, Sony Z7U, VX2000, PD170; FCP 6 certified; write professionally for a variety of media; teach video production in L.A.

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Nov 13, 2013 at 4:05:11 pm

You know the user acct is pretty much what I carry over even after a clean install. Not completely, but I backup my user acct and copy over things like fonts and other things. So, I just made a new user acct, and am going through the tiresome deal of rebuilding preferences for system and apps all from scratch. Nice clean new user acct. I think I'm going to make this my standard practice. But if the problem is a font, or a plugin, or any number of things that are carried in the user library, then this fixes it. I'll just install plug-ins, templates, fonts, etc. when needed. Everything is running great now. For now.

Return to posts index

James Ewart
on Nov 15, 2013 at 7:37:12 am

Are we effectively saying stay away from Mavericks for the time being? Instinctively so far I have resisted the temptation.

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
on Nov 15, 2013 at 10:09:39 am
Last Edited By Steve Connor on Nov 15, 2013 at 10:10:51 am

[James Ewart] "Are we effectively saying stay away from Mavericks for the time being? Instinctively so far I have resisted the temptation."

It's certainly safer to wait until the first couple of bug fix releases are released, but every time you switch OS you run the risk of something from your previous system causing a conflict and these problems aren't always fixed.

My install of Mavericks is working very well, but I upgraded from a recently reinstalled system

Steve Connor

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Nov 15, 2013 at 3:41:23 pm

I have no idea if my issues were due to mavericks, an unstable font, a corrupt library file, who knows? Mavericks ran just fine for awhile. And it's running fine now with the new user account.

Return to posts index

James Ewart
on Nov 15, 2013 at 4:05:39 pm

I see thanks,

Isn't it a bit of a "hoo haa" trashing the original user account after you have set up a new one?

Why is that such a oft recommended trouble shooting thing...what exactly happens when you do that?

best

James

http://www.jamesewart.co.uk

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Nov 15, 2013 at 12:33:48 pm

In my case, I can't move to Mavericks quite yet due to software incompatibility.

I like to wait until at least .1 anyway with new OS software.

Return to posts index

Andy Nickless
on Nov 19, 2013 at 3:19:25 pm

I had the exact same problem with snapping and other issues - like the viewer background randomly defaulting to checkerboard even though it still said Black in prefs.

I trashed the prefs, reinstalled the application (using Apple instructions) and repaired permissions (from the recovery drive) all to no avail.

I did a proper clean reinstall and everything ran smoothly so I thought I'd cracked it but after a while, snapping remained stuck (sometimes on and sometimes off) and other minor issues crept back.

This went on for weeks and was driving me mad, so eventually, in despair, I cleared and partitioned a drive on the MacPro and installed a totally clean version of Mavericks on it together with FCP X and Compressor (plus a few others such as FX Factory).

I then set that system drive up to my taste, with nothing in the dock except the tools I need to edit video. I named the drive FCP-Only.

I then cloned that drive to another so that I will always have a backup "Clean" System drive with FCP X on it and called it FCP-Clean. The entire system takes up 10.3 GB on a drive, so it's smaller than a lot of my video files. I even have a second backup on a USB SD Card!

My original drive is still operational - but purely for all the other applications which are not video related. It's a bit of an inconvenience having to restart the Mac and hold down the Option key if I want to change to the other system (or remember to change the Startup Disk in Preferences before restarting) but things have run near perfectly for weeks now and I'm really glad I took this action.

I'm sure others will say I used a sledgehammer to crack a nut, but it's worth it - EVERYTHING works - and if (sometime in the future) it doesn't, all I need to do is clone the "Clean" drive back onto the FCP-Only drive (takes about SIX MINUTES using SuperDuper) and I have a fresh install again!

Not only am I able to toggle snapping on and off, but all the other minor issues have disappeared and I'm sure FCP X runs faster too.

Lastly, the loss of toggling snapping first happened when I was running Lion, then Mountain Lion. I'd hoped Mavericks would fix it but it didn't.
Andy

Return to posts index

Lance Lipman
on Nov 19, 2013 at 6:53:40 pm

Brett,

Was in a week-long edit recently and my editor had the same issues, snapping, etc. He had a long tech support phone call with Apple and eventually had to trash his entire user pref folder. Tried reinstalling and everything else first, but deleting Prefs folder contents solved the problem. Inconvenient, but successful.

LL

Return to posts index

Paul Francis
on Nov 24, 2013 at 5:20:10 pm

I am on Lion, and have started having the same skimming issue whereby it is permanently on.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Nov 24, 2013 at 6:45:22 pm

Sometimes, toggling the position tool will help unstick the skimmer. Also, double check the clip skimming status.

Return to posts index

James Branch
on Jan 14, 2014 at 11:07:12 pm

I had the same problem yesterday after updating to Mavericks and installing 10.1. Skimmer not working, no snapping among other things. Trashing prefs didn't work neither did deleting and re-installing FCPX.

FCPX worked fine on a new user account so I was on the verge of a complete re-install of the whole machine. I then tried Digital Rebellion's Pro Maintenance Tools 'Housekeeper' app. Performed a comprehensive clean of all ProApps, emptied the trash, restarted and all now works perfectly.

Hope this works you.

Cheers

James

Return to posts index

Andy Nickless
on Jan 17, 2014 at 7:15:32 am

I downloaded Pro Maintenance Tools Trial and neither the "Housekeeping" App nor "Quick Fix" managed to cure the snapping (and numerous other) faults on my FCP X system.

Maybe I did something wrong - I'll keep trying the various apps within the package and report my findings here.
Andy

I've taught you all I know, and still you know nothing.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]