FORUMS: list search recent posts

Some more detail Qs about FCPX

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Sascha Engel
Some more detail Qs about FCPX
on Nov 10, 2013 at 5:44:45 pm

Hallo everybody,

Being on my 4th project on FCPX, I can say, that I manage the program pretty ok by now. Still far from FCP7, but I'm getting there. All in all, I think most things are an improvement. Though there's still things like in logging, and other places, that need still a pro up.
There's a thing I could not figure out so far:
If I'm editing, lets say a music clip, where my music track is on the primary SL and I ad my images as secondary story line, and then I got a third layer, on top, which is my B Roll of the images. Is there a way to connect that third layer to my secondary SL, not to the primary one?

Somebody also found a workaround to get a sort of Favourite folder for FX working? Its absence is extremely annoying, to say the least.

MOST IMPORTANT:

If I want to put a reverb onto an audio track, but extend the echo beyond the clip length, is there any way to do so? I tried everything, including compounding the audio. Nothing worked. I don't wanna do a round trip to an audio software just for that.

Thanx a lot.

Greetings,

Sascha Engel
TIME BANDITZ Productions
http://www.youtube.com/taikang

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
Re: Some more detail Qs about FCPX
on Nov 10, 2013 at 6:50:49 pm

[Sascha Engel] "MOST IMPORTANT:

If I want to put a reverb onto an audio track, but extend the echo beyond the clip length, is there any way to do so? I tried everything, including compounding the audio. Nothing worked. I don't wanna do a round trip to an audio software just for that. "

Just "break apart" the clip. (Double click on it and the audio and video tracks will separate) Then the video and audio can be adjusted independently as to length. Extending the audio track will let the "ring out" continue.

[Sascha Engel] "If I'm editing, lets say a music clip, where my music track is on the primary SL and I ad my images as secondary story line, and then I got a third layer, on top, which is my B Roll of the images. Is there a way to connect that third layer to my secondary SL, not to the primary one?
"

Many ways to approach this. First, while you "can" use the primary for your audio track - I'd only recommend that if you're going to need to further edit that audio and want whatever is attached to it to move with the audio edits. A slide show on video is a great example. If the audio is continuous and NOT something you want to edit - say, for example a traditional music video where the song has to remain fixed. then putting that audio on the primary is a waste of magnetism - since you defeat the entire point of the magnetic timeline at square one. Much better to either use the Multi-cam suite to pre-switch primary cameras if the music video was shot with synced cameras - or to simply lay the music track down as audio - and work your visuals using the Primary as the visual arranger.

Magnetism drives a LOT of efficency in working wth X. What you want to do is arrange your storylines so that you put the MOST variable content in the Primary - since it's so easy to arrange and perfect it's timing there - and then think vertically to attach things to the Primary elements cuz you know they will stick to their positions relative to the primary content.

Hope that helps.

Know someone who teaches video editing in elementary school, high school or college? Tell them to check out http://www.StartEditingNow.com - video editing curriculum complete with licensed practice content.

Return to posts index

Jari Innanen
on Nov 10, 2013 at 7:43:45 pm

[Sascha Engel] "MOST IMPORTANT:

If I want to put a reverb onto an audio track, but extend the echo beyond the clip length, is there any way to do so? I tried everything, including compounding the audio. Nothing worked. I don't wanna do a round trip to an audio software just for that.
"

Open the audio clip in it's own timeline. Insert a long enough gap at the end of the clip (Opt-W). Go back to timeline and lengthten the audio clip and apply the effect. Too bad the Logic effects like PlatinumVerb or Space Designer don't work so you have to use the Final Cut ones.

Return to posts index

Charlie Austin
on Nov 10, 2013 at 7:55:37 pm

What Jari said. :-) One thing though...

[Jari Innanen] "Too bad the Logic effects like PlatinumVerb or Space Designer don't work so you have to use the Final Cut ones.
"

Sure they do. I have Logic installed and both those plugins appear and work fine. :-)

-------------------------------------------------------------

~"It is a poor craftsman who blames his tools."~
~"The function you just attempted is not yet implemented"~

Return to posts index

Jari Innanen
on Nov 10, 2013 at 8:05:22 pm

Wish they did, but I haven't had success to get a "tail echo" (meaning beyond the clips real boundary) with the FCP X's Logic Space effects.

Return to posts index

Charlie Austin
on Nov 10, 2013 at 8:12:03 pm

[Jari Innanen] "Wish they did, but I haven't had success to get a "tail echo" (meaning beyond the clips real boundary) with the FCP X's Logic Space effects."

Ah... You mean work like they do in Logic. Yeah, That's annoyed me about FCP even before X. Time for a feature request! ;-)

Return to posts index

Sascha Engel
on Nov 10, 2013 at 8:34:43 pm

What way you use to open the audio in its own TL?

Sascha Engel
TIME BANDITZ Productions

Return to posts index

Charlie Austin
on Nov 10, 2013 at 8:37:49 pm

[Sascha Engel] "What way you use to open the audio in its own TL?"

right(CNTRL) click the file in timeline - or the event browser if you want to modify the master - and choose "Open In Timeline" :-)

Return to posts index

Jari Innanen
on Nov 10, 2013 at 8:39:52 pm

Use the "Open in Timeline"-command. You can find it in the contextual menu by right clicking a clip.
- OK seems like I'm a slower typer than Charlie, but I'm on a IPad...

Return to posts index

Sascha Engel
on Nov 10, 2013 at 9:50:09 pm

Thanx, Charlie & Jari.
Sounds funny together the both names.
Like a 70s TV sitcom :-)

Sascha Engel
TIME BANDITZ Productions

Return to posts index

Sascha Engel
on Nov 10, 2013 at 8:31:06 pm

Hi guys,

Thanx for all the suggestions:
@ bill: no you were right in my case it's version 1 so, the sound needs to be the back bone. And about the echoe:
It's not what I needed to do.

@ Jari & Charlie: Thanx, I will try that, since I was looking for some solution like that for a tail echoe. Yup already 7 sucked at that. AVID is way better in that thing. I always did this sort of things in Ableton Live. Big bummer though that the Logic Plugs don't work for that. I'm not such a fan of The FCP echoes and reverbs.

Sascha Engel
TIME BANDITZ Productions

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]