FORUMS: list search recent posts

Trying to match audio to the acoustics of a particular room

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ash Reeves
Trying to match audio to the acoustics of a particular room
on Nov 8, 2013 at 11:13:30 pm

Ok, sound isn't my strong point and I imagine this is an almost impossible task. But if anyone can suggest any tips or tricks that might work I'd be ever so grateful.

The problem is our sound tech was inexperienced and unfortunately didn't make up one of the most important lines in the film properly. We shot the film inside a church and only had permission for a day so reshooting wasn't an option. So I contacted the actor and rerecorded his line on a zoom. The problem is (and I was expecting this), as you can imagine, you acoustics are all wrong. From recording in a vast echoey church to a small room with a microphone, the ambiance and acoustics just sound completely different.

It may be a futile task. But can anyone suggest anything that might work? Are there any audio filters on FCPX I'm not familiar with or Soundtrack pro that may help me to match the audio to sound similar to the original audio we recorded?

Thanks.

Return to posts index

Mike Fitzsimmons
Re: Trying to match audio to the acoustics of a particular room
on Nov 9, 2013 at 3:26:26 am

Hey Ash...

If you look in the filters section, there a group called "SPACES" - at least one of which is a cathedral. LOTS of choices in there. A little EQ, some ambiance, maybe some subtle echo if you need it and you'll be all set.

If you were trying to go the other way, you'd have a MUCH harder time.

Also, there is a "Match EQ" function that I haven't used in a while, but you might try to give that a go as well.

All the best!

FORGOT TO MENTION... if the cathedral isn't quite right, the "Space Designer" filter is REALLY amazing.

Return to posts index

Ash Reeves
Re: Trying to match audio to the acoustics of a particular room
on Nov 12, 2013 at 5:30:14 pm

Thanks for the responses guys. This has been really helpful. I'm gonna try out a few of these methods tonight and see which works best.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]