FORUMS: list search recent posts

FCPX does not recognise my media files.

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Anne Kostalas
FCPX does not recognise my media files.
on Nov 6, 2013 at 5:27:14 pm

Anne Kostalas
Can anyone help me with not being able to import backup media files from my external hard drive onto FCP X?
Every time I import files from my card reader into FCPX I also drag and drop them onto an external hard drive to have a second copy. However I have not dragged the single contents file but opened it up and dragged all of the files it contains instead. Now I think this might have been the wrong thing to do. FCPX sees my hard drive as a camera and only shows a few files. Yet when I look into my hard drive on the desktop all the files are there. I've tried coping one of the files to my desktop but FCPX will not import that either.
Any help in words of one syllable appreciated.
Anne

Freelance journalist and videographer in Montreal.

Return to posts index

Loren Risker
Re: FCPX does not recognise my media files.
on Nov 6, 2013 at 7:14:34 pm

Some media, such as that from P2 (panasonic cameras) need to retain their folder structure to be recognized by FCPX. If you can play back individual files from the finder or in quicktime, then the folder structure isn't necessary.

My guess is at the root of your hard drive, you have a folder called DCIM or something that makes FCPX think your hard drive is from a camera and not just a hard drive. Deleting or moving that folder out of the root of the hard drive will fix that.

Please post back with screenshots of your finder window or any more info and I can help you more specifically.

-------------
OutOfFocus.TV - Original series, music videos, mini-docs.

Return to posts index

Fabrizio D'Agnano
on Nov 6, 2013 at 9:50:20 pm

If they are .mts files, it's possible you did not copy the whole structure so FCPX can't "see" them. If you have the .mts's in some folder on your drive, you could try to rewrap them to.mov using a sw like clipwrap. That useful sw helped me a couple of times getting usable media out of a somehow defective card.

Fabrizio D'Agnano
Rome, Italy
early 2008 MacPro, BM Intensity Pro, early 2008 iMac, 2011 MacBook Pro, FCP7, FCPX, OSX 10.8.3

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Nov 6, 2013 at 9:57:37 pm

You should seriously learn to use the Camera Archive process built right into the X Import interface.

It's a direct way to CLONE your cards and media so that X "sees" them correctly.

If you're not busy, the first part of my users group show on the web tonight covers exactly this process.

Starts at 9pm Eastern. Just go to Livestream.com and search for AZFCPUG.

Not sure if you'll need a free membership or not I *think* that my pro publishing account gets around that - but its and easy signup in any case.

The link from the group website at AZFCPUG.ORG also will get you there.

Doing finder "drag and drop" copies is generally a poor practice in X.

Hope that helps.

Know someone who teaches video editing in elementary school, high school or college? Tell them to check out http://www.StartEditingNow.com - video editing curriculum complete with licensed practice content.

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Nov 7, 2013 at 12:41:13 am

This is all new to me. The process in the field ever since I've been on digital shoots is for the shooter to shoot his cards, then, as soon as they're full, someone with a laptop (possibly without any editing software) copies the card to the computer and/or a hard drive connected to the computer. We generally ask the shooter not to erase/reuse the cards until we've declared the copy good and made at least one other backup. Which is usually within 24hours. I usually copy to the laptop drive and an external at the same time. I've never had something not mount properly. Now we're supposed to make archives? I'll admit I've never used that function and will look into it when I have the chance.

Return to posts index

Loren Risker
on Nov 7, 2013 at 3:32:27 am

I agree with doing the media management outside of FCPX as much as possible. I think FCPX has some wonderful tools, but as it is still prone to crashes - I have had to much media corrupted by FCPX closing during an ingest/transcode/render operation - that I'd rather do my basic file management in the Finder.

-------------
OutOfFocus.TV - Original series, music videos, mini-docs.

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Nov 7, 2013 at 4:31:36 pm

[Bret Williams] "Now we're supposed to make archives? I'll admit I've never used that function and will look into it when I have the chance.
"

My 2 cents is that the FCP-X team wouldn't have built the "Camera Archive" function directly into the X interface if they didn't feel that doing "clone" archives was a good practice.

I've been using them for two years at least and they've NEVER let me down.

Originally, I did them via Apple's Disk Utility - Where you create a "New Image" of a connected card. That worked fine, but eventually I stumbled upon our own Andreas Keil's fabulous SCDI Utility that makes creating Sparse Disk Images or Sparse Bundles even easier. It's earned a place on my dock - and now, the first time I load ANY card - I launch SCDI and "clone" the card as Step One. These clones (and even finder copies of them dragged to backup drives), when launched from ANY connected drive appear to your computer as if someone just attached the original card with all the metadata and thumbnail files intact - so it's an extremely positive way to work.

I've also used Shot Put Pro on location, but as great as it is for copying and verifying files - I really like bundling the entire card structure into a single file ala the above cloning system - and again, it's the process that Apple seems to recommend based on their incorporating Create Archive directly into the software.

FWIW.

Know someone who teaches video editing in elementary school, high school or college? Tell them to check out http://www.StartEditingNow.com - video editing curriculum complete with licensed practice content.

Return to posts index

Fabrizio D'Agnano
on Nov 7, 2013 at 9:08:45 pm

I've always ran the same "clone the card first" routine, keeping the card clones as an archive just like I used to do with tapes. Shooting AVCHD, in FCP7 the main reason was that the imported and transcoded files were quite large in size, and building a safe archive of the cloned cards was convenient rather than keeping all the ProRes footage. Now, in FCPX, the extracted original files require about the same amount of space as the cards, so really backing up and safely archiving the clips alone, good and bad, seems to be fine as well. However, archiving the event at the end of the project after deleting the transcoded files makes the clips easily searchable, as they retain added metadata like comments and keywords, and makes things lots faster if you need to search for an old clip than wandering through the card. I decided to go both ways, so I archive the fcparch's in a folder on a NFS enabled NAS from where I can drag them to the Final Cut Camera Archive folder at root level on the same NAS when I need to open one or more of them. The events containing the imported clips of older projects live in a RAID array. Both the NAS and the raid are raid5 protected.

Fabrizio D'Agnano
Rome, Italy
early 2008 MacPro, BM Intensity Pro, early 2008 iMac, 2011 MacBook Pro, FCP7, FCPX, OSX 10.8.3

Return to posts index

Claude Lyneis
on Nov 7, 2013 at 4:43:53 am

OK now I am concerned and confused. I recently upgraded to a Canon XA20 from an XA10. Now AVCHD files are stored on the card as "private". These import from the card into FCPX fine. However as a backup, I drag the entire "private card" onto another disk. Tonight, I tried to import the data from that with FCPX, it doesn't show the clips, although it knows they are there because is says there are 80 clips. It does see some MVI files that were recorded directly as MP4 file by the XA20. The first time I took files from the card in the same way, those are all showing.

With the XA10 files done the same way (they weren't labelled private) are all available for import by FCPX.

Any thoughts?

Return to posts index

David Eaks
on Nov 7, 2013 at 7:15:38 am

Hi Claude,

Did you place the Private folder at the root level of the drive, among all kinds of other files and folders? If so, put the private folder into its own folder then try to import again. FCPX should now "see" the card correctly. Don't put any other files in the folder that contains the Private folder.

Return to posts index

Fabrizio D'Agnano
on Nov 7, 2013 at 7:23:04 am

Maybe the first time you imported the files straight from the card, connected via the card reader, and it was seen as an external drive. Now that you copied it, it isn't, but it's just a folder, so FCPX sees the self contained mp4 files, but not the AVCHD. You should try to build a fcparch of the card, stored at root level in one of the drives inside a "Final Cut Camera Archives" folder. Otherwise, you can build a .dmg of the entire card structure (in this case it could be the "private" package). When you mount the .dmg it's an external card or drive for the system, and FCPX should be able to import the files.

Fabrizio D'Agnano
Rome, Italy

Return to posts index

Claude Lyneis
on Nov 9, 2013 at 3:47:40 am

By putting the "private" avchd file in its own folder without any other files, FCPX does see it and opens it just fine. So I just need to put it in its own folder as suggested above. Thanks.

Return to posts index

Steven Coffey
on Nov 2, 2014 at 11:20:43 am

I just made a Disc Image and put the old PRIVATE folder from my hmc150 in it. fcpx 10.1.3 then recognized and imported the footage.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]